Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Scared Activism

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited May 2007 in Arts & Writings
Blimey! It gets harder and harder to decide where to put some new threads. This beloved e-sangha of ours expands to encompass so much more than of yore. The seed that was planted by the initial desire to make a quiet place to share the Dharma with 'new' Buddhists is growing and flowering into a genuine community Praise to the Noble Sangha which sets an example before us and in which we take refuge.

Today's post brought me the Course Programme from Schumacher College. For those of you who don't know it, Schumacher College is housed at Dartington Hall in Devon, UK. Dartington was the home of one of our most wonderful experimental schools, part of a 20th century experiment that continues at places like Summerhill.

The particular course that caught my eye was the following:
July 14-25, 2008
Sacred Activism
The world’s spiritual leaders and religions are responding to the environmental crisis in ways that affect the nature of their ethical teachings and the kinds of projects they support. There is great potential inherent in the coming together of activism and spiritual wisdom. This course will explore the challenges and the opportunities of such a fusion.
Andrew Harvey will work with participants to become “Sacred Activists”, reconnecting with the sacred and then translating this into action. Mary Evelyn Tucker and John Grim will provide participants with an overview of how different religions and indigenous traditions integrate ecology, ritual and mysticism into their belief systems, and how theory and practice are working together to transform the role of spirituality in public life.
This course is intended for: those who have been or are on a spiritual journey and wish now to become socially active, and for activists who wish to develop spiritual wisdom and compassion to strengthen and inform the work they do.
Can be taken as a one or two week course.
Course Fees:
For businesses:
One week £1,100 Two weeks £1,700
For individuals, NGOs & Educators: One week £900 Two weeks £1,400
For further information on this course, please [EMAIL="admin@schumachercollege.org.uk?subject=Earth%20&%20the%20Sacred%20-%20enquiry"]click here[/EMAIL]
[EMAIL="admin@schumachercollege.org.uk?subject=Earth%20&%20the%20Sacred%20-%20enquiry"][/email]

Andrew Harvey is co-editor of Sogyal Rinpoche's Tibetan Book of Living and Dying.

The cost is far beyond anything I have been able to afford. It looks good though.

[EMAIL="admin@schumachercollege.org.uk?subject=Earth%20&%20the%20Sacred%20-%20enquiry"]
[/EMAIL]

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2007
    I notice that I have managed an interesting typo in the title of this thread. LOL
  • edited May 2007
    Interestingly, I realized the typo only after you mentioned it and read sacred before but it does not astonish me, since I read somewhere that the order of the letters is not important to the mind as it seems. What a little beast the mind is, full of prejudices, one goes to a religious forum, reads a new post by a valued member and prejudiced reading begins :)

Metta