Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

OMG !...(Or Should That Be "Oh My Buddha Nature" ) ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

The West for the most part is (so it would seem) somewhat "God-Centric" (even for those of us who identify as atheists ) The words "God" or "Jesus" enters into every day conversation for many people, regardless of whether they believe or not.... (including many Western Buddhists) ...

Being born in the West is like these terms of expressions are programmed into one's psyche..."Oh my god" or "Jesus Christ" "God knows" or "God bless" "God almighty" "There by the grace of god go I" ....and so on...(at times the odd swear word is thrown in to add flavour)

Do you still use "God-Centric" expressions in conversation ?

Should Buddhist practitioners phase out using such terms of expression ?

What could be used to replace some everyday "God-Centric " expressions ?

Please try 'not' to take this post (or for that matter 'life') too seriously :winky:

"Oh my Buddha Nature....God and his son are everywhere !"

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Veteran
    edited June 16

I do sometimes, but while I certainly see your point I think it's only "God centric" for certain people. Actually, people who focus on God are far less likely to use those phrases because they consider it against their beliefs to use God's name in that way. My grandma routinely chastised us for saying "Oh my God" for that reason. I have moved away from those things, largely, mostly to not offend the older people in my life who truly take offense to it. I prefer more silly phases like "good gravy" or "good grief" and so on. I stopped saying "oh my god" when I heard my kids say it and it bothered me to hear it. But that was probably my grandparent's conditioning, lol. In general, if I feel a need to verbalize some sort of similar expression, I make up my own random ones, because when they are just silly it takes the stress out of the situation and makes my kids laugh.

So here at least, it depends on who you are with as to the impact it has. I tend to tread more cautiously because it does bother so many people I know and I do try to avoid saying things that I have been made aware upsets people. So in that way, Right Speech comes to mind.

VastmindShoshin
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited June 16

^^^ Ditto. I get on my kids all the time for saying "Jesus" out of anger or frustration bec I know it will offend others.

My favorite in a moment of gratitude is:
    Look what the good Lord Buddha brought me!

A common one that I use when something is not going my way is : whew...impermanence is a wonderful thing....I'll be glad when it gets here, hahaha

Instead of OMG..I say: What in the biscuit? 😮

Shoshinlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Understandably in the US people would be less blasphemous when it comes to everyday expressions than in other parts of the Western world...

In this part of the world (and I guess in the UK too) it's not uncommon to hear things like "God al f$@#ing mighty !" or "Jesus f#$@#ing Christ! " or some will use less swear words like "For Christ's sake !" when becoming fed-up with someone...

I guess a good all rounder Buddhist expression would be something like " May the Buddha catch your/my tongue !" (which does have a "Right Speech" feel to it...) :)

karasti
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@Shoshin said:

I guess a good all rounder Buddhist expression would be something like " May the Buddha catch your/my tongue !" (which does have a "Right Speech" feel to it...) :)

True!

Shoshin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Veteran

oh there is plenty of that profanity laced stuff here, too. I don't hear it much in the crowd of people I hang out with, thankfully. But it's prevalent.

• paulysopaulyso usa Explorer

how about ...ohhh for buddha sake ,be nice.

Shoshin

ohhh for buddha love,chill!

why for buddha sake are you testing my nerve.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

When I swear in anger because the toaster is too slow ... :3
    ... the anger is completely inappropriate and usually involves reference to sex and sexual bits (to put it mildly). I also like to throw Jesus and Cod into the mixture ...

eg. What kind of Far King, God Can't King, Toaster peace of Sheet is this meant to be? That is a rhetorical enquiry as I do not expect my toaster to answer ...

The toaster, may all the Buddhas bless it, is innocent and normally we are on good terms.

I will not bring non culturally ingrained deities into the arena, so the following terms would never be used or be satisfying:

• 'May the Tetragrammatton, YHWH, Allah, Ganesha and Chenresig fornicate it.'
    • 'Odin damn it'
    • 'Buddha Bum'

Hope that helps o:)

VastmindHozanShoshin
  • KeromeKerome Did I fall in the forest? Europe Veteran

On the odd occasions where I feel moved to exclaim something it's usually "crikey" or "allemachtig"... so not directly referencing religious figures at all. It's out of respect for the beliefs of others, but I'm not a very angry person and this comes quite naturally to me.

Shoshin
  • DhammaDragonDhammaDragon Carpe Diem switzerland Veteran

When I really swear, I do not involve any religion/philosophy-related characters because I simply use gutter linguistic material and that would be irreverent even for a heathen like me.

But to express surprise in common daily parlance, I do use the expression "Oh my Buddha" a lot.
    🐉🙏

ShoshinLionduck
  • LionduckLionduck Veteran

It doesn't matter all that much.
    I tend to use other Western-centric terms.
    Tis life.

Peace to all