Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Book of Eights: Chapter 1

federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Moderator

Discussion on First Chapter....

Comments

• personperson Where is my mind? 'Merica! Veteran

I haven't gotten to it yet but in the introduction Fronsdale mentions that the name of the chapter is the Kama Sutta. It is the opposite take on pleasure to the Sanskrit Kama Sutra.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Veteran

Just making sure we are on the same page, when discussing sensual desires, it is mostly in reference to the desire part, yes? Seeking to obtain sense pleasures and then the inevitable pain when we lose it or cannot obtain it again? Just confirming it isn't the view that any experience or item itself is the problem, but our quest/desire for it. The intro focused a lot on sexual pleasures and didn't really touch on the rest other than to quote from chapter one about fields, goods, gold, cows, horses, servants, women, relatives and "lots of sensual pleasures."

I do personally still find it a conflict within myself to need money to live in this world but to stay unattached to it and not want it. It seems almost a natural progression to obtain more once we make more money which leaves me not wanting to deal with money at all. Which of course isn't practical. But to be at peace with potentially not having money, or enough of it, is immensely challenging to me. Of course, we can prioritize things so we don't need as much money as we believe we do to sustain our lives. But what a need is varies so much and that is something I struggle with. Our world is set up so that if we need money, we also have to want it, and then once we have it, it is never enough. We always want more. Epitome of greed, of course.

I quit my job 8 years ago to stay home with our kids. My husband's income has increased by $20k since then, yet the more he makes the more we seem to struggle and the more worry and stress there is. I hate it. But I don't know how to get out of it. Having people in your life who don't view things the same is definitely the biggest challenge for me. Finding peace in myself with my life while sharing it with a husband and 3 children is probably my biggest challenge. Because our views are often in conflict with each other and I don't know how to participate in our daily family life and remain at peace over those conflicts.

• DhammaDragonDhammaDragon Carpe Diem switzerland Veteran

Sorry, @karasti and @person, but some people are eager to participate, yet they do not have the book.
    If you agree, please let us wait a bit until everyone is ready to start🐉👍

Hozan
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Veteran

No worries, can do! I shall hold my tongue until we are ready :smile: