Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Theravada Pointing-out Sutta

CedarTreeCedarTree Private Island Explorer

Many know that I follow Soto Zen in particular the tradition that emphasizes Zazen; Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America & Antai-ji in Japan.

However I do have a background in Theravada and as of late a very keen interest in the Tantric traditions.

Below is an excerpt from one of my favorite Suttas. It is directly from the Pali Canon and about as Theravada as you can get.

Tidbit of wisdom = Bahiya was recognized later in the Theravada tradition as the one that had achieved arahantship the fastest.

**A third time, Bāhiya said to the Blessed One, "But it is hard to know for sure what dangers there may be for the Blessed One's life, or what dangers there may be for mine. Teach me the Dhamma, O Blessed One! Teach me the Dhamma, O One-Well-Gone, that will be for my long-term welfare & bliss."

"Then, Bāhiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bāhiya, there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."[2]

Through hearing this brief explanation of the Dhamma from the Blessed One, the mind of Bāhiya of the Bark-cloth right then and there was released from effluents through lack of clinging/sustenance. Having exhorted Bāhiya of the Bark-cloth with this brief explanation of the Dhamma, the Blessed One left.**

lobsterBunks

Comments

• @CedarTree said:
    Bāhiya of the Bark-cloth with this brief explanation of the Dhamma, the Blessed One left.

Many thanks @CedarTree ... B)

Wot no advice on sartorial elegance for a man wearing a tree? I guess I am only seeing what I see? :3

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thanks OP!

Was he the same chap who was killed by a cow not long after attaining awakening?

• Ay caramba!
    http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/b/baahiya.htm

Become arhat and gored and flung on the compost heap. Life sure is dukkha and no mistake ... ??

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2017

@CedarTree said:
    "Then, Bāhiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself.

It's a profound passage. But what do you think the method of "training" referred to here is?

• CedarTreeCedarTree Private Island Explorer

@SpinyNorman said:

@CedarTree said:
    "Then, Bāhiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself.

It's a profound passage. But what do you think the method of "training" referred to here is?

This Sutta is often contrasted with:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.095.than.html

&

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.024.than.html

Hope your training goes well!