Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Disappearing up the Nothingness

2»

Comments

• techietechie India Veteran

@David said:

@SpinyNorman said:

@David said:
    You seem to be the only one confused so I'm good. Good luck with all that though.

I'm not in the least bit confused on this topic.

You are the only one that seems to have a problem comprehending what I am saying so I'm going to go ahead and figure it's your problem and not mine.

Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche is Tibetan and he sees it the same way I do. The only way to disagree with that is to misunderstand the definition of potential. He is not Taoist or even Zen but is a Tibetan Buddhist and he knows his stuff.

Sorry if you disagree but that is hardly my problem and I do not think you really qualify as an expert, sorry.

Tibetan Buddhists have been in contact with India for a very long time. So they've been influenced by advaita or the nondual philosophy within Hinduism. Not saying it's wrong - cultures do intermingle and create new schools of thought. However, this gives birth to the misconception that sunyata is perhaps a positive entity like brahman or soul.

lobster
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited September 2017

No idea what you're trying to get at @techie.

Nobody has suggested sunyata is something that is aware.

Plus, you do know Buddhism also originated in India, right?

Just brutal. :o

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

thinking outloud.continuing on nonself discovery.another positive result is seeing that the self was observable and the aggregate process was influenced and dependant on condition.this insight lead to various techniques to dismantle the concept of a permenant self.in the suttra,the buddha employed the tecnique of observing its function.seeing clearly...he address in his mind--perhaps--he said something like...oh house builder you are seen,you shall not build it no more. i theorize,the house builder is karma,the house itself is the body.the goal,in my opinion,was to end the cause of dukkha. karma ,or action is the condition that compounds further conditional action.one of the revolutionary insight,imo,is the self is not a stand alone condition..and karma has no dicernable beginning in body or outside the body.i will continue tomorrow.

• Tibetan Buddhists have been in contact with India for a very long time. So they've been influenced by advaita or the nondual philosophy within Hinduism. Not saying it's wrong - cultures do intermingle and create new schools of thought. However, this gives birth to the misconception that sunyata is perhaps a positive entity like brahman or soul.

Yes. This is perhaps the point @SpinyNorman is making.

Emptiness in the Buddhist experience is free of qualities. Some experienced Dharmaists (like Islamists but less prone to tantrums), promote the idea that 'emptiness' is a soul quality that exists after the conditions of disintegration aka death. So it is empty apart from some recording flame going to the subsequent incarnation. It is a comforting support. Not for me but some seem to like it ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangtong-Shentong

Ay caramba!

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

That could be but still odd if it is because nobody was arguing that position.

It seems to me the motive is a bit more aggressive than that. It seems like he is trying to show Theravada superiority by misrepresenting Mahayana texts.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but there is intolerance all over his posts.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ok, wearing my

hat here:

Personal opinion and perception - even if it's guesswork - of someone else's intentions, motives, attitudes and feelings is really best dealt with in 2 ways: Either by flagging what 'you' perceive to be suspect - or keeping such opinions private and inward.
    I am fully aware that those hitherto involved in this discussion do not agree on certain matters, or see eye-to-eye on different discourses or sources.

I have respectfully asked that people refrain from airing any thought-processes which may be perceived to be critical, confrontational, or even hostile.

My requests have gone unheeded, I see, so with that, perhaps the only way to nip the kind of discussion I have tried to discourage, is to close the thread.

Perpetuation and repetition of this behaviour elsewhere, will result in a similar action on my part.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

lobster
This discussion has been closed.