Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Self improvement and the search for enlightenment

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited October 2005 in Buddhism Basics
omni wrote:
If i find answers for myself, possibly after years of thinking as clearly and objectively as I can and have reached conclusions about the subject..such as becoming vegetarian, or non-violent or whatever... how then do i disassociate myself from a feeling of ownership and identifying with the position?

I don't personally believe that disagreements with my viewpoint are direct attacks on me as a person, but they are clearly (?) attacks on the conclusions I have drawn. Arguing to defend a position is fruitless but isn't it appropriate to share information about the decision process as an opportunity for the other person to learn? Do I keep silent or try to share knowledge?

Or, is it most appropriate for the other person to find answers on their own when they are ready to look for them?

A perceptive question, Omni! How hard it is for us to realise that even our most deeply-held beliefs and convictions are only local and temporary mental formations.

It always surprises me that spiritual/religious debate becomes so entrenched in oppositions, the fundamental premises depending, as they do, on unprovables. Even though we, as Buddhists, invite people to test everything they are told, the Turnings of the Wheel supply language and structure for the adventure of the Dharma. This is not so different from the Christian invitation to come and taste.

I was at a new meditation last weeks. It opened and closed with sung 'prayers' - English translations and droning settings, sung from laminated cards, resembling nothing so much as a Non-conformist prayer meeting! This was followed by a deep relaxation bringing us to focus on the breath. The teaching that followed, loosely based on Shanideva, concerned patience. Time and again we were told, "the mind does thus and thus", until you may be sure that it did!

This method of teaching worries me. It is almost certainly going to result in right/wrong dualities.

The mistake, IMHO, is to start from a theory whereas the truest spiritual teachers start from the individual's experience. Of course, this is far harder than preaching to the multitude.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    omni wrote: Do I keep silent or try to share knowledge?

Do what the Buddha did, teach those that have a little dust over their eyes and keep silent to those that have too much. It's a waste of time and breath trying to share your ideas with an individual who is very wrapped up in his/her own opinions. Without someone who has an open mind it will become an argument and what is the point? Most people make their "selves" out of their labels, and like an addict, will fight to the death to keep them whether they're healthy or not. But find a peson who has genuine curiosity and let them know what you know about the subject.
  • edited June 2005
    omni wrote:
    If I find answers for myself, possibly after years of thinking as clearly and objectively as I can and have reached conclusions about the subject..such as becoming vegetarian, or non-violent or whatever... how then do I disassociate myself from a feeling of ownership and identifying with the position?

I don't personally believe that disagreements with my viewpoint are direct attacks on me as a person, but they are clearly (?) attacks on the conclusions I have drawn. Arguing to defend a position is fruitless but isn't it appropriate to share information about the decision process as an opportunity for the other person to learn? Do I keep silent or try to share knowledge?

Or, is it most appropriate for the other person to find answers on their own when they are ready to look for them?
    Omni
    Here lies the foundation of our being. We make appropriate decisions for ourselves. Only. As they say, "if we want world peace we have to create peace at home." we have to understand that the steps we take are only for us, not in a selfish way, but who else’s steps can you take? As soon as we make a moral and profound choice where is the conflict? 1+1=2 shall we argue this? If our concern lies with our subject/object seperative mind we will never rest comfortably with it. As a recovering alcoholic I can give you an example from my personal experience. After all what other "experience" could I offer?

I make no attempt to mask the fact that I am clean and sober, regardless of the company I keep. Never do I say, "drinking is bad" or "you should not drink". I only walk the walk and don’t drink, someone offers and I say, " No thank you I don't drink." In this way any conflict belongs to the questioner. Now by being transparent in my life (right actions, right speech etc.) If someone has a problem with their own drinking they may see me and think" how does he do it?" If they find it in themselves to ask me I will gladly give them the practice that worked for me. Not some theory out of a book, not some intangible, just my path. This is truly the path of the teacher walk the walk and only answers the asked question. Remember the path you walk is of your own design. Make it yours and how can it be uncomfortable? Thank you for your thoughtful and provocative questions.

A deep and profound ^gassho^ to you
  • edited June 2005
    Time and again we were told, "the mind does thus and thus", until you may be sure that it did![/size]

This method of teaching worries me. It is almost certainly going to result in right/wrong dualities.

Is it not useful to walk before running...

before coming to the realisation that all is actually still?
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Is it not useful to walk before running...

before coming to the realisation that all is actually still?

But if you run before you walk doesnt that push you?
    edited June 2005
    Yes it could, but it could also push you flat on your face and knock out a few teeth!
    Slow and steady wins the race, the tortoise said so.
    edited June 2005
    My point was that sometimes we have to push ourselves to become better.
  • edited June 2005
    My point was that sometimes we have to push ourselves to become better.
    very important to learn what we are pushing and when to push!? Remebering that our "best thinking" got us where?

^gassho^
    edited June 2005
    Once again Wolf you have pushed me. ;)
    edited June 2005
    Oh I agree we must push ourselves. If we don't then we will just end up riding the wheel of samsara over and over again. But to learn what we are pushing and when to push (the discernment in virtue, concentration, disernment) is just as important. A blind push may be over a cliff. Haha. Anyway, I was just attempting to be witty. :) My posts always seem dry and important sounding.
    edited June 2005
    Well that's why we love you. LOL
  • edited June 2005
    When you stop eating meat, your body gradually loses the enzymes necessary to digest the meat and eating it again does tend to make you ill for a few days. Your digestive system suddenly has something it can't handle. (Ask at a restaurant if a food contains any meat product and they swear it does not...and then I discover a few hours later that animal fat was used as a seasoning or cooking oil. Yucch!)

After giving up meat. one of the things you might notice is that your taste buds seem to be more sensitive to non-meat tastes as the enzymes decrease. To me, it was like going from a regular radio to a hi-fi and veggies tasted much bettter.

Factory farming happened since most of us don't have chickens running around so we can harvest our own and enterprising suppliers try to grow as many as possible as cheaply as possible to supply those who stopped raising them. Everyone should visit a factory farm when the animals are being uncerimoniously killed. It is a horrible sight filled with screams of fear and pain and there is no honor or reverence or any consideration given to the taking of a life. Raw material is being converted into a consumer product as cheaply as possible and no one gives any thought at all to the lives being ended.

We should all have MoonLgt's good fortune to be able to look at the animal we kill for food and share its fear and pain and be able to thank it for sustaining our life a little longer. Most of us do not have that intimacy with our food source and we have become too far removed from the earth that nurtures us to remember that we have no monopoly on feeling.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    What is there to push?

How can we be better?
    edited June 2005
    Well, it's not profound or like some Japanese koan, but I could still be a drug addict who enjoys my evenings spent in prison. But I pushed myself (whatever you want to define as self) to change my life. I was content with what I was doing and without any effort to change I would still be in that position. It wasn't easy and it took a lot of time and effort. I myself don't believe we are some already perfect entity. Without a push and a conscious decision to be different than I was I would still be sniffing white powder, drinking way too much, and more than one OUIL on my record. If there was nothing to change and no way to become better why did the Buddha teach anything at all? Nothing better to do? It's an opinion, and not necessarily what's true, but I think that we all have the potential to become better. Maybe more wisdom, more compassion, maybe just the drive to change a negative situation into something more skillful. It's hard to explain in words...Sure the body, the mental phenomenons, the world is all impermanent. It all arises and passes away. Views and opinions are empty in the ultimate truth of everything, etc.....but there is still something here. We exist and we have the ability to be whatever we want. Without direction we can become something unskillful, something harmful, something that the Buddha wanted to help free us from. I could be a Hitler, or with a push I could be a Martin Luther King, and another push and I'm an arahant that is finished with rebirth. Most people don't have faith in this but I truely do. I don't know what it is I'm pushing, what reaps the results, or what becomes better in the end....no answer at all....I just know I want to be Awake. I don't think we can Awake without effort. I mean if we could, wouldn't everyone be already?
  • edited June 2005
    What is there to push?

How can we be better?
    all is actually still

this has been the hardest/easiest part of zazen(living meditation).
    edited June 2005
    Elohim, Dharma searcher,

Have you ever come across a wonderful text called Nan-jang ("Refining Apparent Phenomena") by Dudjom Lingpa (published as Buddhahood Without Meditation)?

Although it is pretty technical and uses a lot a 'foreign' words, it is an extraordinary text to study. It is a Dzogchen, or Great Perfection transmission. Here is one extract:
    Regarding this true nature of reality, or buddha nature, this 'reaching a state of bliss in the three times, to think of the goal as gaining freedom in some other place or realm, having gone there by merely practising physical and verbal virtue, is to think that the pervasive, extensive panorama of space is an object or agent of coming and going. What an extremely bewildered and deluded state of mind!

For myself, reflection and meditation on this text and on the Ten Ox-Herding Pictures as sources of great optimistic enlightenment.
    edited June 2005
    Does it mean that we shouldn't search outside ourselves for gaining freedom? In a lot of Tibetan works they tend to stress the illusionary quality of existence and the freedom from them by not attaching to them as truths. I honestly get a little lost in some of the teachings although I do see some of the ideas clearly. It revloves around seeing the"I" for what it is, but that is a lot harder than people might think. I have never read that book myself. It still seems that you must practice in any case. Any practice uses effort right? You can't meditate on anything with their being the effort of mindfulness. I know my mind doesn't just stay with anything unless I exert effort towards it. Even the zazen practise of just sitting takes effort. I found their way to be very difficult. Maybe the quote is beyond me. I don't fully understand what it means. Would you care to explain it a little? Maybe I can learn something from it.
    edited June 2005
    Elohim, Dharma friend,

I agree that the notion of all-pervasive Buddha Nature is particularly hard for those of us who were brought up with the notion of "striving for the Kingdom" or some such. Unfortunately, in order to grasp, intellectually, what the Great Perfection teaches, we need to reflect on notions which are quite alien to the dualistic mind.

The Uttara Tantra Shastra describes Buhha Nature thus:
    The body of complete enlightenment is all-pervasive;
    Suchness is undivided;
    All beings possess the potential;
    Therefore, all beings possess the buddha nature.

and, in his commentary, Thrangu Rinpoche, explains: "Other religions and belief systems describe the final fruition of practice as the attainment of something new which arises from some other source. In Buddhism, this is not the case. Because dharmakaya (the body of complete enlightenment) is all-pervasive, the end result of complete enlightenment is already present within oneself."

This does not mean that we do not practise. Gampopa taught that we should study, reflect and meditate all at the same time. But we should do it in the knowledge that we are simply blind, deaf and unaware of our true nature. Buddha Nature is one of the four "inconceivable vajra (firm or certain) points", inconceivable because they are not constructs nor are they contingent phenomena of mind.

Once again, this is seriously difficult stuff as well as being blindingly obvious once grasped! In my own practice, I find pictures, poetry and music help much more than the treatises and, above all the material, the "Ten Ox-Herding Pictures" have helped me to some small understanding of the inherent nature of pure, untainted, changeless and compassionate Buddha Nature.
    edited June 2005
    It can seem so obvious, and yet to think that we are unaware of something so profound that is already apart of us. Maybe that is where the illusion of attaining comes from. It really seems like is should be very hard and difficult to reach the goal. It seems like it has to arise out of practice, and contemplation, and effort....but it alludes us doesn't it? It really is of the unconditioned. So are we blinded to it by the effort of looking for it?
    edited June 2005
    So are we blinded to it by the effort of looking for it?

Bingo!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    admin note:

I split this thread off from the to meat or not to meat... thread because it ventured way off topic. The content of the posts was very enriching, thus the entirely new topic for it. If the title doesn't apply, please let me know, and I'll change it. :)
    edited June 2005
    Thank you for making it clearer for me Simon, and thank you Brian. Sorry it metamorphosed into a completely new lifeform. You have show exquisite Moderating skills in handling this.
    edited June 2005
    Thank you, Brian. I plead guilty to having diverted the thread!

In the century or so that Buddhism has been studied in the West, we have only scratched the surface of the vast treasury of works of all sorts on all aspects of the Dharma.

If I look at the way that brought me to my small understanding today, it has led through many related events, people and authors, including the training I received in hermeneutics and Biblical study. Perhaps the most 'revelatory' piece of writing - and the one i would save first from a fire - is T. S. Eliot's Four Quartets and, particularly, the fourth.

With all that Buddhist literature, from cultures spread across the whole of Asia, we are presented with nearly insurmountable problems of translation and of basic concepts.

When a Tibetan Buddhist speaks of, say, the Realms, they refer to something that is known and understood without thought, just as a Westernere understands the word "God" in a way that is incomprehensible to the Tibetan. An old geshe once told me that he couldn't become a Christian (not something we had discussed but he was a mischievous old sod!) because he would have to learn a whole new language.

We ask each other questions and share insights here. What makes this a special place is that all are serious about the Dharma. But, to steal a description of that wonderful Fourth Gospel, the Dharma is shallow enough for a child to paddle in, and deep enough for an elephant to swim and so vast that there is no other side.

At each Turning of the Wheel, the Buddha Shakyamuni stretches his hearers' understanding beyond normal limits, beyond presuppositions and assumptions.
  • edited October 2005
    Just a note:

Thank you, Simon, for pointing out to 'Nang-Jang'. I ordered it, and started reading it today. Wonderful to read.

-Narda
    edited October 2005
    I'm glad you are finding it a joy! My own copy is beginning to need repair, along with Longchenpa's Jewel Ship.
  • edited October 2005
    Pushing is the result of...feeling you have to "do" something? I've pushed and pushed and pushed:poke: now i sit around and wait until its time to take action. And let me tell you, I push real good. I push myself, the dog, the cat, the kids, my friends, my enemies, and than i forget why i'm pushing. In other words, expending all that energy in rapid fire methodology makes me lose sight of where i'm trying to get to with all the pushing. Now i'm learning to open, reveal, see what I need to doin anymoment. Like joining this site, I'm here cause I need to be here right now. I teach, thats what I do, not a paid teacher, but i was born a teacher, not school, life perceptions. It's remarkable how much we learn in life. I long ago learned, the older we get, the dumber we get due to the constant influx of other directed energy. oh well, that was definitely not directed:mullet:
  • edited October 2005
    my avatar ownz u all lol
  • edited October 2005
    well its almost your bday so you deserve a new toy.