Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Book of Eights: Chapter 14

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran
edited October 2017 in Arts & Writings

In the interest of making a little headway so that people who have read ahead can put in any comments, I’m going to make at least one extra thread today. I’ll do the last two chapters next Monday.

This chapter is titled, “Tuvataka Sutta, the discourse on being quick”. It discusses how monastics should train. It is essentially a list of behaviours that should be avoided. It’s a significant change in tone and content from previous poems.

What struck me...

Let them completely destroy the root,
Of conceptual differentiation,
That is, the idea ‘I am the thinker.’
Ever mindful, they train to subdue their cravings.

So no ‘cogito ergo sum’ after all. Lol.

Touched by sense experience, a monastic shouldn’t
Despair about anything
Wish for states of becoming,
Or tremble at terrors.

It is of course one thing to avoid these behaviours, but the impulse may still arise. Discernment, skilful behaviour, effort and commitment are all necessary for being a monastic. Not that most of us aspire to that giddy height but we can pick up a few tips.

Snakeskin