Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Retreat of One

dhammachickdhammachick crazy Aussie BUJUSydney, Australia Veteran

I'm going to put myself on a one week self imposed retreat (starting in two days) and was wondering if anyone else has done this and has any tips for me please?

_ /\ _

ShoshinHozan

Comments

  • CarlitaCarlita Om Vajrasattva Hum United States Veteran
    edited November 28

    @dhammachick said:
    I'm going to put myself on a one week self imposed retreat (starting in two days) and was wondering if anyone else has done this and has any tips for me please?

    _ /\ _

    That sounds cool. Ive only did it for a full day. Not much of a retreat. I put my laptop and tablet away. I put my phone on ultra power save so I can only take and make calls. I put that aside out of sight. I turned my clocks around and no watch. I travel by public transportation since I cant drive. I usually have my phone, watch, and maybe my laptop. I left them all at home. I felt naked but free at the same time. I only asked for time so I wouldnt miss my last bus to my house.

    I dont know how early the monks at monastaries wake up to meditate. That, Id put in there especially if youre not an early riser. No music, tv, and movies. I didnt do the no eating after 12. The theravada temple near me, all retreat practitioners follow monks schedule. Its something to try out. Dont know about the hour or so long meditation.

    dhammachickHozan
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Veteran

    Yes! I love it. For me, because I have young kids at home and a house full of pets, I actually leave home on occasion. Sometimes I go to my mom's house when she is on vacation or I camp by myself. I try to make a point of getting in one solitary camping trip each summer. I take a kayak so I don't have a lot of storage space and I'll go for 2-3 days and only eat what I can find or catch (fishing). For me, I find that if I am indoors, having somewhat of a schedule helps, otherwise I lose the focus of my reasons for doing it. I take various retreats pretty often. Sometimes it is just an internet retreat (sometimes for weeks at a time, it's heavenly!) and sometimes it's just a day to look after myself. Other times it is specifically meditation focused and I usually fast when I do those. I don't sit and meditate all day but do meditative activities interspersed with sitting and walking meditation.

    dhammachickHozanBunks
  • personperson Where is my mind? 'Merica! Veteran

    I've done a couple two day at home retreats. I think if you're not that experienced writing up a schedule to stick to is important and I would say don't be too severe on yourself. Plan time for walking even just a regular nature walk, time for reading dharma books and listening/watching to talks. For me about 8 hours of meditation (walking and sitting combined) a day seems about right, even if its less than that just getting away from normal distractions and focusing on dharma will settle the mind down a lot.

    Plan out your meals too, either make them ahead of time or you could try some mindful meal preparation as part of the retreat.

    Basically, the more planned out and structured the retreat is the less chance there is for your mind to rebel and come up with reasons to do something else.

    dhammachickHozan
  • I rather like the idea of a comedy retreat that @genkaku mentions . . .

    I regularly go on solo retreats. Will be starting one this weekend, I feel it is a rest/change from my normal routine. I try and incorporate the following.

    • Bubble bath meditation (includes chanting with candles).
    • Learning a new mantra,
    • Eating when hungry, sleeping when tired.
    • Watching the sky, keeping an eye on the clouds
    • Reading something or other

    I meditate daily ... but I do that anyway. No need to over do it . . .

    Good Luck. May the Buddhas go with you . . .
    OM MANI PEME HUM

    dhammachickShoshinHozanBunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

    Hey @dhammachick - how strict will you be e.g. eight Precepts? No tv, phone, internet?

    I’m lucky enough to get to a Monastery for a weekend about once a month. Take the eight Precepts. Usually do a couple of hours work in the morning then afternoon free to practice. Group meditation at 5am and 7pm.

    I can highly recommend that kind of schedule (obviously you won’t be able to do the group part!). Look forward to hearing how you go :)

  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

    P.S. Try and limit your food intake if you can too...

  • dhammachickdhammachick crazy Aussie BUJU Sydney, Australia Veteran

    Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it _ /\ _

  • dhammachickdhammachick crazy Aussie BUJU Sydney, Australia Veteran

    @Bunks said:
    Hey @dhammachick - how strict will you be e.g. eight Precepts? No tv, phone, internet?

    I’m lucky enough to get to a Monastery for a weekend about once a month. Take the eight Precepts. Usually do a couple of hours work in the morning then afternoon free to practice. Group meditation at 5am and 7pm.

    I can highly recommend that kind of schedule (obviously you won’t be able to do the group part!). Look forward to hearing how you go :)

    I wish I could get to a monastery for a silent retreat. That's a goal of mine.

    Over the weekend I will be as silent as I can. Definitely no internet or phone. During the week unfortunately I still have to work. I will limit interactions with others as much as I can without getting fired LOL And no social media at all.

    _ /\ _

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    My H occasionally goes away to visit a buddy about 40 miles away from us. He's usually gone overnight....He also takes the opportunity (time, tide and funds allowing!) to visit his twin sister, who lives about 4 - 5 hours away by car.... She has cancer, so he goes to see her when he can, and usually, the visit lasts 3 - 5 days. He goes when I have the same amount of time off work, because then, I won't need transportation...
    I think I'll await that opportunity to give me some 'quiet time' and have a mini-retreat of my own....

    BunksdhammachicklobsterVastmind
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

    @dhammachick said:

    @Bunks said:
    Hey @dhammachick - how strict will you be e.g. eight Precepts? No tv, phone, internet?

    I’m lucky enough to get to a Monastery for a weekend about once a month. Take the eight Precepts. Usually do a couple of hours work in the morning then afternoon free to practice. Group meditation at 5am and 7pm.

    I can highly recommend that kind of schedule (obviously you won’t be able to do the group part!). Look forward to hearing how you go :)

    I wish I could get to a monastery for a silent retreat. That's a goal of mine.

    Over the weekend I will be as silent as I can. Definitely no internet or phone. During the week unfortunately I still have to work. I will limit interactions with others as much as I can without getting fired LOL And no social media at all.

    _ /\ _

    Sounds good! Best of luck mate...

    dhammachicklobster
  • HozanHozan Veteran

    Sounds great @dhammachick . Every best wish for your retreat! 💚💚

    dhammachick
  • I just came across an awesome reddit post the other day about solo retreats - https://reddit.com/r/bestofbuddhism/comments/3u3ag4/theheartoftuxes_gives_tips_for_solo_retreats/ nice to see you still around here!

    federicalobsterBunksperson
  • ShakShak Veteran

    @karasti, This is the spot I had in mind,
    Mt Tumbledown. It's the prettiest 3200 foot peak in Maine. With a small alpine lake! I'd have to go mid week in June to get the place to myself.

    ShoshinBunkskarasti
  • @lobster said:
    I regularly go on solo retreats. Will be starting one this weekend ...

    Buddhas Bottom! (Right speech/swearing)
    My retreat hut ... OK house ... was occupied by someone in greater need ... ah well ... back to cushion retreat ...

    Hope @dhammachick fared better?

    Bunksdhammachick
Sign In or Register to comment.