Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Samsara under the lense

MagwangMagwang Veteran
edited July 2007 in Philosophy
::

When you look in a telescope or a microscope, what do you see?

...vibrating, rotating, spinning, orbiting, colliding, burning, exploding, impoding, melding, ripping, evolving, struggling, heating, expanding, cooling, contracting, separating, combining......a universe folding on top itself..... made up of vibrating strings.

What do I see?

Suffering.
Impermanence.
Emptiness.
No prime mover.
No end in sight.
Hard to deny.

Hard to escape.

Comments

• edited June 2007
    Hmm .. have not spent much time looking through a telescope but have logged a good number of hours looking through a micrscope.

Can't say I see all those things ... I'm a scientist by nature .. what I like about science .. there is often a momement when you really think you have it all figured out .. when you see the grand scheme of things .. then ... POW .. the view falls apart ..in that brief instant of confusion when you lose site of it all and don't know anymore .. that one momement is pure bliss.

Good Day ..
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2007
    Samsara.... as with everything....has two sides..... event the finest, almost-transparent, thinnest veil of beaten gold, has two sides....
    Samsara's other side........ is Nirvana....

Just flip it over and see.....

Simple, isn't it.....?
  • Bobby_LanierBobby_Lanier Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Magwang wrote:
    ::

When you look in a telescope or a microscope, what do you see?

...vibrating, rotating, spinning, orbiting, colliding, burning, exploding, impoding, melding, ripping, evolving, struggling, heating, expanding, cooling, contracting, separating, combining......a universe folding on top itself..... made up of vibrating strings.

What do I see?

Suffering.
    Impermanence.
    Emptiness.
    No prime mover.
    No end in sight.
    Hard to deny.

Hard to escape.

When we look at the world through the lens of finitude, being trapped in a biological armature, so to speak, which has a limited capacity to perceive the world (the eye can only see one octave out of over 40 or more octaves)--sure there is impermanence and suffering. All is empty.

But when we look at this same world through, let us say, the third eye we see something quite different. We see that the things are like wave-patterns of a higher reality. To say it more precisely, we see phenomena to be vibrations of a super medium which, itself, is incorruptible. But more importantly, this super medium is undying and free of impermanence and suffering. And when we merge with this medium by giving up our strong attachment to phenomena, we know we are liberated. We have attained eternal life in the symbol of Amitayus who holds a vase that contains the elixir of immortality.

We realize from this lofty perspective that although our body is still operating as a normal human body, we are not actually in it (this is the mysterious teaching found in the Shurangama Sutra). In fact, we never have been in it. We have been under a powerful spell of embodiment. Thus, as long as we look through the lens of this body, we see only suffering and impermanence. But when we cease attaching to it, the world is quite different.

Love ya'll

Bobby