Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Found this article...

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Lots of interesting points to ponder....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43038598

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Idaho is an interesting place. It is, for some reason, a bit of a hotbed of militia activity. Ages ago in the pre-graphic internet age of BBS, I knew a girl from there who lived that life. I wonder frequently about her now. I live in an area where those kinds of survivalist militia people are looked up to, but people cling to the edge of knowing that it's not acceptable. So they silently look to the militia survivalists are heroes, wishing they could be them and acting out just like children who don't know how to express themselves. It's an odd thing.

From the article:
    For such isolated, rural communities, she says the federal government seemed like an alien and "wildly ineffective" force.

Definitely agree. The major, obvious benefits from the government go mostly to urban areas, and there is a HUGE divide between urban vs rural and support of the government for that reason. But they largely also choose to ignore the benefits they receive. Just like my husband's family, my FIL, who rails against assistance for "lazy" people but can't see that my husband and his 17 cousins got free college largely because of the farm subsidies the family received. So they are happy to receive assistance they believe they have earned, but seek to punish other people who who they believe haven't done anything to earn it. It's nuts. They want the government out of their lives...except when they don't, then they say the govt doesn't do enough.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

More on the Esteemed Matthieu Ricard....

Hozanlobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited February 2018

I could be wrong about this but I think Idaho is the place because of no property tax and low chance of major natural disaters (no hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes)

In a similar vein as the first story there was a girl who's family avoided giving her any kind of government ID. She had to struggle after leaving just to prove that she was a person so she could function in society. Sadly, she is far from alone.

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2015/09/04/alecia-pennington-the-girl-who-doesnt-exist-can-now-prove-she-does/

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@person I believe the state constitution of Idaho specifically. The laws in Idaho, I think, are set up to allow militias without question and there are quite a few of them. They even have webpages.
    Interesting article, i've always wondered about people like that. Born to off-gridders and so on with no record of the pregnancy or birth. Or things like, what would happen if I refused to have a mailing address? My home address is not in the postal system because we don't have carrier access, so as far as the USPS system is concerned, our address doesn't exist. So we have to have a PO Box which we can only obtain by filling out the proper homeland security paperwork every year. What if we stopped renewing it? What if we refused to receive mail? :lol: