Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The only cause of Nirvana

JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

"When phenomena are individually analyzed as selfless and what has been analyzed is meditated upon, that is the cause of attaining the fruit, Nirvana. One does not go to peace through any other cause." -Buddha

Comments

  • personperson Don't believe everything you think 'Merica! Veteran

    Do you know what that is from? It sounds a little different than the Pali phrasing, so I'm guessing it's Mahayana? Or maybe just paraphrased?

  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

    @person said:
    Do you know what that is from? It sounds a little different than the Pali phrasing, so I'm guessing it's Mahayana? Or maybe just paraphrased?

    Not sure what sutra it's from, but the Dalai Lama quotes it at the beginning of a chapter in a book called How To See Yourself As You Really Are.

  • @person, I had found it intriguing and tracked it down to the Samadhiraja Sutra.

    JaySonperson
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

    @JaySon said:
    "When phenomena are individually analyzed as selfless and what has been analyzed is meditated upon, that is the cause of attaining the fruit, Nirvana. One does not go to peace through any other cause." -Buddha

    hmmm...nirvana is all embracing ....the interior and exterior is the place of rest.hmm...the fruit of nirvana ...is --personal glimps--relax in the middle of lifes karma. so meditation is helpful to discover nirvana , as we abide our mind is open to peace.and maybe realize nirvana was always present and available.the four noble truth...from dukkha to nirvana.we follow the footsteps of buddha...who untangle dukkha to discover nirvana.thank you buddha.

  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

    from a different angle.nirvana is ordinary . in mahayana,there is no nirvana for buddhas.posit a theory. discoverying nirvana,buddhas realize its the integral part of existence, there is no "escape". so they abide. the support is the dharmakaya,i like to call it the dharma-key-awe.

  • techietechie India Veteran

    @JaySon said:
    "When phenomena are individually analyzed as selfless and what has been analyzed is meditated upon, that is the cause of attaining the fruit, Nirvana. One does not go to peace through any other cause." -Buddha

    What exactly does 'individually analysed' mean in this context?

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 26

    Analysed by the individual, one by one.

    Phenomena are subjective.

    But all phenomena are constructs, and as such, impermanent.

    personSnakeskinlobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

    It sounds inspired by the Heart Sutra's gradual realization of the emptiness of dhammas, one by one.

    A bit what is known in Western philosophy as via negativa and the traditional Sanskrit neti neti.

    SocairTravellerlobsterShoshin
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited February 26

    The Tibetans meditate by alternating .. yes, but ONLY once they have mastered single-pointed meditation. Once they can focus on a visualization in all its complexity with no inner distractions from that focus for a lenth of time ... then they have mastered single-pointed meditation. Pema Chodron, with over 30 years as a Tibetan nun, says her mind still wanders. So I don't feel so badly about my own monkey-mind.

    My own local Lama will not teach us analytical meditation until he feels we have mastered the single-pointed meditation sufficiently.

    As for Nirvana, we will know it when we reach it. And we cannot reach it through intellectual wrangling. Meditate. Find a teacher to guide you. And continue (we are told) for several lifetimes.
    It is sufficient, we are taught, to Practice so as to set strong imprints for Practice in our being ... so that in our next human rebirth, our karmas (imprints) will draw us to a lifetime in which we will be exposed to the dharma and can continue our work towards enlightenment.
    This is what our we are taught.

    TravellerSnakeskinBuddhadragonShoshin
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

    @FoibleFull said:
    The Tibetans meditate by alternating .. yes, but ONLY once they have mastered single-pointed meditation. Once they can focus on a visualization in all its complexity with no inner distractions from that focus for a lenth of time ... then they have mastered single-pointed meditation. Pema Chodron, with over 30 years as a Tibetan nun, says her mind still wanders. So I don't feel so badly about my own monkey-mind.

    My own local Lama will not teach us analytical meditation until he feels we have mastered the single-pointed meditation sufficiently.

    As for Nirvana, we will know it when we reach it. And we cannot reach it through intellectual wrangling. Meditate. Find a teacher to guide you. And continue (we are told) for several lifetimes.
    It is sufficient, we are taught, to Practice so as to set strong imprints for Practice in our being ... so that in our next human rebirth, our karmas (imprints) will draw us to a lifetime in which we will be exposed to the dharma and can continue our work towards enlightenment.
    This is what our we are taught.

    If you start at the beginning of lam-rim you practice analytical and single-pointed meditation on topics such as Karma, Death, and Impermanence. Tranquil Abiding and Superior Seeing are higher trainings. That's why Je Tsongkhapa in Lamrin Chenmo taught them after. I'm not saying your teacher is incorrect, but he's incorrect according to Je Tsongkhapa's text.

    Snakeskin
  • thank you buddha.

    paulyso
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

    that gif(t) is awesome and a lol.

Sign In or Register to comment.