Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

iMala?

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator

Perhaps related to @Lobster's pop Buddhism thread...iMala?
https://tinyurl.com/y8x4mg6v

(link to a Lions Roar article about Acer developing smart malas that count your recitations for you)

My initial reaction is almost always "ugh" but just because it's not for me doesn't mean it doesn't have a point I suppose. Personally, I think we need fewer electronic devices requiring materials we have to mine industrially. Not more. The way we continue to disengage our brains from everything because it's too much work is...incredible. We will be reduced to jello molds in no time.

lobster

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2018

My initial reaction is 'want one' but then I realised I don't count mantras at the moment. I did have an app for counting mantras. Once activated, you tapped the screen after each mantra. This was for a longer mantra I was learning.

A timer of some sort maybe ...

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

As a keen mala user, I was excited about this. But then I started to wonder if it doesn't defeat the purpose...

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It would seem that the use of such a device is to make practice easier (less effort so to speak) ... :)

I'm just wondering... where does "Right Effort" fit into using all these high tech devices ?

Especially when one comes to rely on them ie, habitual patterns form.which can lead to the 'craving' for the next new device that's "guaranteed" to make Dharma practice 'life' easier...

I tend to stick with the proven method/high tech device which is online 24/7/365....Never leave home without it

"The most essential method which includes all other methods is to behold the Mind-The Mind is the root from which all things grow-If one can understand the Mind...Everything else is included!"

~Bodhidharma~

Kundo
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Yeah, to each their own, as with all things. For me, if there is any pleasure in reciting things it is in holding the mala that was made by a friend, that feels just the right size and weight in my hand. I guess I've never found myself distracted by the mala, it just became automatic to move along the beads. They seem to actually help me focus rather than decrease my focus. But I'm a fidgeter, too, so maybe the mala is just an eary fidget ;)

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited March 2018

@karasti said:
    Yeah, to each their own, as with all things. For me, if there is any pleasure in reciting things it is in holding the mala that was made by a friend, that feels just the right size and weight in my hand. I guess I've never found myself distracted by the mala, it just became automatic to move along the beads. They seem to actually help me focus rather than decrease my focus. But I'm a fidgeter, too, so maybe the mala is just an easy fidget ;)

True that ^^

• As a minimalist, I find touching each finger with thumb in turn and swapping hands, is an adequate mind fidget mantra focus ...