Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Platitudes

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited May 15 in Buddhism Basics

As we all know, providing platitudes can be self defeating
http://scottberkun.com/2011/what-are-the-most-annoying-platitudes/

However once the self is defeated, even platitudes might be great wisdom. It depends on our capacity to hear and absorb, rather than react and project ...
http://recoveringyogi.com/insightful-or-insipid-a-handy-guide-to-platitudes/

Which are your favs?

Be kind o:)

Vastmind

Comments

• federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

..."At the end of the day..."

(It gets dark.)

KundoSocairVastmind
  • SocairSocair Veteran

Nothing is impossible.
    A platitude while meant to be positive and uplifting can sometimes be annoying.
    Good to challenge our limits but we also need to accept those things which cannot be changed.

• KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

I quite like “go with the flow”... for computer programmers this has a double meaning, as ‘flow’ is a particular state of concentration in problem solving where executing the steps of a solution seems to come naturally.

But it’s also kind of true, following the path of least resistance is a good philosophy in many cases in life. Except where the body is concerned, where it definitely seems to be the case that making the body work just expands its future capabilities.

Kundo
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think 'Merica! Veteran

Looking through that list, for the most part they didn't bother me. I wonder if maybe the problem with platitudes is while they generally point to a truism they are universally applicable. So they can be either fit the situation or miss the mark.

The one that does bother me is "Everything happens for a reason". To me that implies some kind of preordained plan. I can agree that everything has a cause or that there is some kind of silver lining to be found or a lesson to be learned in most situations, but those have to do with how we choose to perceive something rather than some kind of objective truth about reality.

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 15

I like platitudes! .....: In the South, we like our one liners....so... learn to live with it. (That one should be on the list, hahaha)

I would never personally use them in a serious situation/conversation with someone, though. That's too insensitive and could go wrong very quickly!

As the OP second link talks about.....sometimes the quotes I see online, give me an eye roll/crack up. ( The irony or contradiction).

lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think 'Merica! Veteran

One that I do like a lot is "can't see the forest for the trees"

It's easy to get involved in our world and interests, because that's what we need to do in life, and forget to put it into the larger context so that our concerns get blown out of proportion.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks every one B)

One of the reasons I ask is to remind ourselves of empty Buddhist platitudes ... for example

• Emptiness is form and Form is emptiness
    • Mu
    • Be Kinder ... actually that may be German Christianity :3

eh ... any more?
    https://speculativenonbuddhism.com/2012/05/09/on-the-faith-of-secular-buddhists/

personSocair
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Which are your favs?

"Different Strokes For Different Folks"

• DavidDavid some guy Veteran

Make me one with everything.

• satcittanandasatcittananda UK Veteran

Then the point of this thread/tread is there is nothing to achieve

• satcittanandasatcittananda UK Veteran

Why the Alan Watts reference PIC....

• TsultrimTsultrim Hawaii Veteran

@David said:
    Make me one with everything.

_
    I would if i could. An applicable platitude

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@satcittananda said:
    Why the Alan Watts reference PIC....

A classic example of someone talking the talk but not practicing the walk.
    A life in platitudes.

Do we need other pics and finger pointing at moonshine? Nah, actions speak louder than platitudes ...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Buddhism/comments/jt0sy/zen_master_lou_nordstrom_alan_watts_didnt/

Hmm Don't mistake the finger pointing to the moon for the moon

• TsultrimTsultrim Hawaii Veteran

Don't eat the menu for the meal.

Shoshin

@Tsultrim said:
    Don't eat the menu for the meal.

Unless you're really hungry and the menu is made from edible rice paper ;)

• federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You two seriously need to get a room.... :D

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@satcittananda said:
    Then the point of this thread/tread is there is nothing to achieve

Perhaps ... that after all is a profound platitude <3

Nothing to achieve, everything to die for ...

In the words of Sid (heart a Buddha):
    “They blame those who remain silent, they blame those who speak much, they blame those who speak in moderation. There is none in the world who is not blamed.”
    http://www.realbuddhaquotes.com/page/2/