Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My other practice ...

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited July 2018 in Buddhism Basics

Dear Friends,

As we know theoretical dharma will take us

nowhere in practice until practiced. :p

The teaching that most dharma has is the importance of regular meditation. I say regular because irregular is unskilful, lazy and unfocussed. Who guessed? o:)

However some new Buddhists may be at the study/interest/preliminary stage. They may find chanting, walking around in cycles, Practicing virtue, ethics, sila, precepts, basic goodness sufficient. <3

I would suggest that more is required for us cushion squatters too ...
My other practice is ... well being ... B)

Here is the Shaolin/Batman practice ... :o

What more do we do?

kandoperson

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Are they wearing woolly slippers as replacements for the cushion? It does seem like an odd pose to meditate in...

• VimalajātiVimalajāti Whitby, Ontario Veteran

My other practice is a Porsche.

lobsteryagrpersonShoshin
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

Hey, they're just hanging out :)

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Many moons ago actor, goon and Freemason Peter Sellers considered himself a yogi because he 'meditated' in the headstand. This was not uncommon.

My other practice at the moment is yoga but I add in tai chi and artial arts exercise as I see fit.

Be patient when learning to meditate. It will take many sessions before you are able to control your thoughts. O.o
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/498308-how-to-begin-shaolin-meditation/

Boddhidharma Save Us! :pleased:
    https://flowingzen.com/1555/the-man-who-made-shaolin/

Health, clarity, and the ability to kick someone's internal organs into hash are obviously vital skills :o I'm screwed.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I'm screwed.

That is probably a better daily exercise B)o:)<3
    Keep up the good work.

Shoshinkando
  • ScottPenScottPen Maryland Veteran
    edited July 2018

I dunno about martial arts, but I am trying to master marital arts. Or is it partial arts? My wife probably thinks so.

Compared to marriage hanging upside down from a pole by your toes is EASY >:) One of my favorite Rita Rudner jokes "men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry"

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

that shit looks hard.mind over matter? mad respect to shaolin

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited July 2018

Hmm just a thought

If one thinks about it (pun intended= thinking =movement confined to the brain) the mind over matter thing is interesting... ... all that we do is mind over matter ( try doing something physically or mentally without mind's involvement) but for the most part we are unaware of this simple truth...

However through meditation we train the mind to change the matter and in doing so the changed matter then starts to change/train the mind...

Ah this psycho-physical phenomenon call the self is an amazing piece of cosmic equipment....To be handled with care :)

paulysolobsterkando

shoshin,grooovy thought.i love it.and that bundle of energy is magnificent .you know me,i like art ,is natural like fart.just being silly. my brain is lit,the usual suspect,coffee,smokes and suugar.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@paulyso said:
    mad respect to shaolin

<3 Indeed. They emphasised and developed what was a corrective to weak wooly sangha of the time and became the superheroes of Chinese Buddhism ...

However ... the neo-buddhists of the developing Western Dharma are a new breed of extremist. At the moment quite often, alien culture and outmoded 'truths' are being recombined and experimented with until the fourth jewel, Western Maitreya flowers ...

Many extreme and deserving of 'mad respect' teachings exist. For example:

• the puritanical Zen, that also flowed from Bodhi dharma
    • the vajrayana that flowed from the insane imagination of witches and worlocks
    • and cloistered hermits of many persuasions ...

Somewhere in this flux that @Shoshin illustrates so well, we take refuge in three diamonds:

Ye olde Buddha
    Ye olde Dharma
    Yo Sangha

VimalajātiShoshinkando

lobster thank you.you are a wealth of information.

maitre -yay flowers in the west sounds promising and beautifull. we waite and see how it blooms .as the saying goes,beauttiful in its own time.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited August 2018

Are they wearing woolly slippers as replacements for the cushion? It does seem like an odd pose to meditate in ...

Not sure of headgear or footwear ...

If my central heating breaks down, I may have to learn Tumo from Hof ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof

Mind over body. Discomfort or body dukkha is lessened by relaxation and acceptance.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2018

Funny, my father actually met Wim Hof and did a course with him, he was enthusiastically doing ice baths in all kinds of circumstances. Of course that didn’t stop him from some years later developing a heart arrhythmia, these things may be entirely coincidental...

I'd like to know how he gets away with having 'invented' a system that has existed for a very very long time. Yogis and have been doing it for themselves, melting snow, drying blankets, yadiyada....... :)

edited August 2018

@kando said:
    I'd like to know how he gets away with having 'invented' a system that has existed for a very very long time. Yogis and have been doing it for themselves, melting snow, drying blankets, yadiyada....... :)

By re-marketing it under a different name, and so bypassing people’s prejudices against yogic wisdom, and also giving it a veneer of scientific accuracy by working with university’s to investigate it. Much the same as mindfulness’ path into western respectability...

@Kerome said:

@kando said:

By re-marketing it under a different name, and so bypassing people’s prejudices against yogic wisdom, and also giving it a veneer of scientific accuracy by working with university’s to investigate it.

Ahhhhh, that's cunning. It's all in the spin. Sorry about your dad's heart condition @kerome, ice baths not advised! Do these wisdom merchants have a conscience I wonder? <3