Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In A Past Life.........

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

In a past life I didn't like mushrooms...Now I love em :)

In A Past Life.......

yagrkandoHozan

Comments

  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 17

    Must get some shiitake mushrooms (yum). Thanks for reminder ...

    In my previous existence (yesterday) we had medjool dates, homemade bread, fish made from dead marine life and dark Belgian chocolate. My favourite was the sautéed potatoes and onions ... [Lobster faints]

    Next life begins in the morning. Time to make bircher muesli with apple juice and greek yogurt ...
    https://mylittlegourmet.com/breakfast/bircher-muesli/

    Here is a doughnut from a previous life cycle

    As a special treat I bought almond croissants for everyone. Had mine with butter and coffee.

    yagrShoshinHozanKundo
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

    My favorite mushrooms are inedible, but I love to look at them and appreciate their beauty. Amanitas are the most commonly seen here - nice, fat red ones. Used to have to scour the yard to remove them so the dogs didn't mistake them for something delicious.

    ShoshinHozan
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

    In a past life..... I didn't waste time on the Internet and get accused of racism.

    ShoshinBuddha-DudeHozanFoibleFull
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 17

    In a past life things were often taken out of context/misunderstood... And now....at times they still are... lost in mental translation

    Tis the bane of the written word which lacks the visual cues of the writer.... :) =) ;) :o :p :( B) O.o :3 <3 o:) >:)

    Sadly much ink is spilt/wasted in a war of (written) words....( or in the case of the internet whatever it is that produces the words on the screen...perhaps it's magic ???)

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @kando said:
    In a past life..... I didn't waste time on the Internet and get accused of racism.

    Mod note:

    You haven't been accused of racism here, either. It was a simple misunderstanding. See relevant thread.

    In a past life, I really don't care what led me to here. I'm just happy it did.

    ShoshinBuddha-Dude
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 17

    @Fosdick said:
    My favorite mushrooms are inedible, but I love to look at them and appreciate their beauty. Amanitas are the most commonly seen here - nice, fat red ones. Used to have to scour the yard to remove them so the dogs didn't mistake them for something delicious.

    Strangely enough amanita muscaria are sold as a food item in Siberia. They are a neuro-toxin and hallucinogen unless the white dots are removed where most of the toxin resides. If you prefer the hallucinations, then the traditional shamanic method is to pass them through a reindeer and drink the urine.

    PASS!
    [Warning: do not try this at home or you may be brought by flying reindeer to your next life sooner than expected)

    And now back to the presence/present life . . .

    Fosdick
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

    In a past life...I might disagree and argue for argument's sake,,,

    Now I agree to disagree...

    Buddha-DudeHozanBuddhadragonlobster
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran
    edited November 17

    My fondness for just looking mushrooms dates to a time in my teenage years when a friend and I went into the woods and collected an enormous bag of every kind of mushroom we could find - and in that year, it was a lot.

    That qualifies as a past life in my book. A life within a life - I've had several of those, I think we all have - all so clearly remembered, all right there to instruct us in the life that is now.

    ShoshinfedericalobsterHozan
  • DimmesdaleDimmesdale Illinois New

    In a past life I was a millipede, in this life I have a millipede phobia?

  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

    In A Past Life.......

    I ended up dead. =)

    ShoshinHozan
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 18

    @Dimmesdale said:
    In a past life I was a millipede, in this life I have a millipede phobia?

    So do you 'leg it' when you see one ;)

    HozanDimmesdaleKundo
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

    this sounds like fun...
    in a past life--yesturday--got paid.in this life--today--broke as a joke.the lessen,make some more dough.

    in a past life--way back--very poor and lazy.in this life--today--thank god for buddha who kicked my butt :get a job.the lessen , work for your food .

    in a past life--wayyy back--i was my self,poor but ok as a kid.in this life,today ,ok with self but rich in buddha.personal lessen,the treasure is you.

    ps yagr i love you.took me years to value myself.i soo understand.

    lobsterShoshinFosdickyagr
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 18

    In a past life...I was young and reckless...In this life I'm older and somewhat wiser...(well some of the time ... ;) )

    paulyso
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

    In a past life....I thought that "I" was invincible...But now "I" know different...

    paulysoHozanBuddhadragon
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

    in a past life...i was so serious..this life learning to laugh is good medicine.

    HozanfedericaShoshin
  • GuiGui Veteran

    In a past life I was me. In this life I am not me.

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 19

    Who said that...?! image

    Shoshin
  • HozanHozan Veteran

    @federica said:

    @kando said:
    In a past life..... I didn't waste time on the Internet and get accused of racism.

    Mod note:

    You haven't been accused of racism here, either. It was a simple misunderstanding. See relevant thread.

    In a past life, I really don't care what led me to here. I'm just happy it did.

    I hope you return @kando . You will see its a misunderstanding . Nobody here accuses you of racism. Your post is perfectly clear. I really enjoy your posts and you have so much to offer this community. There are lots of good people and good information to be found on NB and personally I hope you remain in the NB sangha, as do we all.
    Best wishes and I look forward to seeing you here again soon.
    ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

    ShoshinBuddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

    My past life was one breath ago.
    Life is beginning all over again, one breath at a time.
    And one can always choose a new life.
    Samsara's magic tricks and mirages...

    HozanShoshinpaulyso
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

    @kando said:
    In a past life..... I didn't waste time on the Internet and get accused of racism.

    I don't know you enough, @kando, but you seem like a wonderful person.
    Fede misread your comment and apologised for it.
    Juggling a life, a job, a family and also taking as much time as Fede does to moderate in a forum, must very stressing.
    Misunderstandings, misreadings, and the occasional sparring come with the territory.
    I have been in this forum, on and off, for six years and got my knuckles rapped often enough.
    Most times, I deserved it.
    I have also received a piece of advice or a word of encouragement when I needed them the most too.
    So please put this happenstance behind you and come back.

    lobsterHozan
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited November 20

    Who said that?!

    In the spirit of the OP I was making a point about anatta. Speaking of a permanent me. A me of substance that remains. So as far as who is writing this now, I would have to say I haven't been able to nail that down. <3 >

    paulysoShoshin
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

    in a past life,i kept to myself....in this life greatful,to the people who help me along the way....to learn and grow,this digital shangha included.

  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

    in a past life luv mushrooms..in this life still luv mushrooms...exercizing our taste buds is wonderful. yay for edible mushrooms...delishouse.

    Shoshin
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

    In a past life, too much involved with battle (I had a dream I was a Viking)... in this life, too much involved with dreams.

    Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

    In a past life....Sh%t happened...

    In this life...Sh%t still happens......but I've learnt to keep my mouth shut ;)

    HozanKundo
  • HozanHozan Veteran

    @Shoshin said:
    In a past life....Sh%t happened...

    In this life...Sh%t still happens......but I've learnt to keep my mouth shut ;)

    I LOVE IT @Shoshin . ❤❤❤

  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

    I can hardly imagine that in any foreseeable past life, I could have ever kept my mouth shut.
    Maybe wrong speech is the reason I keep entering the samsaric stream time and time again...
    🐉😏

    Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

    No doubt in more than one past life...I too suffered from foot in mouth disease ..

    I still have one of the awards to prove it....

    Goes to @Shoshin for her outstanding performance...This year she went above and beyond the call of duty... ;)

    HozanKundonakazcid
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

    In a past life I took everything for granted. Then I became a mother....... 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

    ShoshinBuddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited December 7

    Come back please @kando . 💚💚💚 lets not have your presence on NB be "in a past life".

    Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

    In a past life...I was a politician ....and now I tell the truth ;) ;)

    HozanBuddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran

    @Shoshin said:
    In a past life...I was a politician ....and now I tell the truth ;) ;)

  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

    In a past life, I accepted people as they were.
    Now I learned the difference between accepting and taking crap.

    Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

    @Buddhadragon said:
    In a past life, I accepted people as they were.
    Now I learned the difference between accepting and taking crap.

    An important lesson to learn. 💚💚💚

    Buddhadragon
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

    @Buddhadragon said:
    In a past life, I accepted people as they were.
    Now I learned the difference between accepting and taking crap.

    When thinking about these things, I always find it is about how we react, other people can offer their negativity to you but you can choose to leave it with them. Even just saying “I don’t take crap” is a crudity which I don’t think a lama would use to express himself. It’s already a reaction and a judgment where you are taking some of other people’s negativity on board.

    Hozan
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited December 9

    @Kerome said:
    When thinking about these things, I always find it is about how we react, other people can offer their negativity to you but you can choose to leave it with them. Even just saying “I don’t take crap” is a crudity which I don’t think a lama would use to express himself. It’s already a reaction and a judgment where you are taking some of other people’s negativity on board.

    First of all, I am not a lama, so I can hardly express myself as one.
    My Right Speech skills leave much to be desired, but Samsara is long, so there is room for improvement.

    Second, it is not a judgement but an objective observation of poor behaviour that as such, I refuse to continue to take on board as I did before.
    If there is nothing wrong in calling a chair, a chair, poor behaviour is still poor behaviour, beyond our assessment of the situation.

    Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited December 9

    @Kerome said:

    @Buddhadragon said:
    In a past life, I accepted people as they were.
    Now I learned the difference between accepting and taking crap.

    When thinking about these things, I always find it is about how we react, other people can offer their negativity to you but you can choose to leave it with them. Even just saying “I don’t take crap” is a crudity which I don’t think a lama would use to express himself. It’s already a reaction and a judgment where you are taking some of other people’s negativity on board.

    I don't think buddhism would consider "I don't take crap" a crudity.
    Not in zen anyway...

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shit_stick

    Buddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

    That's why I love the Zen so much...

    Besides, recent research has found that people who curse are healthier and smarter:

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/health-benefits-of-swearing_n_5a5e44a8e4b0106b7f65b3a6/amp

    Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

    @Buddhadragon said:
    That's why I love the Zen so much...

    Besides, recent research has found that people who curse are healthier and smarter:

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.huffpost.com/entry/health-benefits-of-swearing_n_5a5e44a8e4b0106b7f65b3a6/amp

    Im going to live to at least 100

    BuddhadragonnakazcidlobsterShoshin
  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @Buddhadragon said:

    @Kerome said:
    When thinking about these things, I always find it is about how we react, other people can offer their negativity to you but you can choose to leave it with them. Even just saying “I don’t take crap” is a crudity which I don’t think a lama would use to express himself. It’s already a reaction and a judgment where you are taking some of other people’s negativity on board.

    First of all, I am not a lama, so I can hardly express myself as one.
    My Right Speech skills leave much to be desired, but Samsara is long, so there is room for improvement.

    Second, it is not a judgement but an objective observation of poor behaviour that as such, I refuse to continue to take on board as I did before.
    If there is nothing wrong in calling a chair, a chair, poor behaviour is still poor behaviour, beyond our assessment of the situation.

    'A chair is a chair' is a statement of fact.
    'Poor behaviour is still poor behaviour' is a personal opinion, a judgement and a critique.
    Therein lies the difference.
    And before anyone of us beats anyone over the head about our opinion of their behaviour, it pays to take a step back and reflect on our own reactions and responses.

    We may not be lamas, but we follow the path of the greatest Lama of all. If we cannot at least be mindful of his example, it bears questioning as to why we do this at all, if not to strive for at least a modicum of perfection, if not the whole package....?

    Barbed insinuations are not Right Speech either, and there have been a few of those over the past few days, if you will but be honest about it.

  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited December 9

    This is all I said and had to say:
    "In a past life, I accepted people as they were.
    Now I learned the difference between accepting and taking crap."

    As simple as any of the other above and not requiring further explanation as any of the above.
    That's much it.
    I belaboured it because Kerome judged the comment as crudity but in fact I had nor have anything to add.

    Hozan
  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @federica said:... Barbed insinuations are not Right Speech either, and there have been a few of those over the past few days, if you will but be honest about it.

  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited December 10

    In a past life...I was so caught up in my self that I let life pass me by....

    KundoBuddhadragonlobsterHozan
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

    In a past life... I was so carpe diem that I earned myself a samsaric bonus track
    🐉🌺💕

    lobsterShoshinHozan
Sign In or Register to comment.