Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

10 Things The Stoics Can Teach You About Being A Happier Person

personperson Don't believe everything you think'Merica! Veteran
edited November 26 in Philosophy

I came across this and thought I'd share. The blog post goes into more explanation about each point.

  1. Don’t Enslave Yourself to Annoying People
  2. Choose Reasonable Expectations
  3. Pre-Meditate Those Expectations
  4. You Are a Mind That is Operating This Bag of Chemicals You Call a Body.
  5. Stop Pretending You Know That Things Are Bad
  6. You were put here to reason, so use it already.
  7. Life is NOT too short.
  8. Feel Your Emotions Like The Stoics Would
  9. Anger is a choice.
  10. When it comes down to it, we are dogs tied to the back of a cart.

http://philosophizethis.org/10-things-the-stoics-can-teach-you-about-being-a-happier-person/

Buddha-DudeKundolobsterShoshinBuddhadragon

Comments

  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

    Did you know there is a connection between the current resurgence of the classics such as Ovid and the stoics and the far right? Donna Zuckerberg has been saying interesting things about it.

    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/11/donna-zuckerberg-social-media-misoyny-violence-classical-antiquity-not-all-dead-white-men

  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

    @Kerome said:
    Did you know there is a connection between the current resurgence of the classics such as Ovid and the stoics and the far right? Donna Zuckerberg has been saying interesting things about it.

    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/11/donna-zuckerberg-social-media-misoyny-violence-classical-antiquity-not-all-dead-white-men

    Yeah. They're ruining everything.

    federica
  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    You'd think, by now.... ha bloody ha.

  • personperson Don't believe everything you think 'Merica! Veteran

    @Kerome said:
    Did you know there is a connection between the current resurgence of the classics such as Ovid and the stoics and the far right? Donna Zuckerberg has been saying interesting things about it.

    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/nov/11/donna-zuckerberg-social-media-misoyny-violence-classical-antiquity-not-all-dead-white-men

    Now that you bring it up, I suppose it's not too surprising. There is a strong thread of European chauvinism on the far right. I don't think that means stoicism is somehow far right, I'm sure fascists use toothpaste too.

  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

    @person said:

    1. Anger is a choice

    Timely reminder. Thanks.
    🙏🙏🙏

  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

    @person said:
    Now that you bring it up, I suppose it's not too surprising. There is a strong thread of European chauvinism on the far right. I don't think that means stoicism is somehow far right, I'm sure fascists use toothpaste too.

    But it’s useful to be aware of the connection and the spin being applied to things. The Donna Zuckerberg article (sister of the Facebook supremo) points out an “unholy alliance of the far right, and toxic elements such as incels, pick-up-artists and such” which seem to have some power to project these memes onto the internet.

  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

    I looked up the definition of incel this morning as I had no idea what it was/is.

    I really want to get off the planet sometimes 😐

  • Not one of those original stoic points is correct. I won't bother refuting them as the stoic in me dictates ... o:)

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    (on a completely pedantic side-note, I'm surprised that the article passed [spell-check] muster. I mean, what's an 'Emporer'...?)

  • personperson Don't believe everything you think 'Merica! Veteran

    @lobster said:
    Not one of those original stoic points is correct. I won't bother refuting them as the stoic in me dictates ... o:)

    I wish you would.

  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 29

    @person said:

    @lobster said:
    Not one of those original stoic points is correct. I won't bother refuting them as the stoic in me dictates ... o:)

    I wish you would.

    No pressure @lobster ;) ;)

    HozanKundopersonlobster
Sign In or Register to comment.