Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yule Films

As we know films are the true spirit of Yule ...
What films might you be watching/recommend?

Lobster Family viewing (Adams family types only):

• Bad Times at the El Royale

More gentle viewing, suitable for nuns

• Ladies in Black
  • It’s a Wonderful Life
  • Incredibles 1 & 2

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2018

Brother Sun, Sister Moon; Daisies; The Monk; The Island; The Grinch; The Santa Clause; The Holy Mountain; Seksmisja; Kontroll; Beyond Valley of the Dolls; Forbidden Zone; Pasolini's The Gospel According to St. Matthew and Salo.

• Elf, the Nightmare Before Christmas, A Christmas Story.

person
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The Life of Brian, The Muppets Christmas, Scrooged, Groundhog Day

person
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Die Hard (Christmas 1988)
    White Christmas (what the hell is Christmas without a few bu-bu-bu-buums from Bing!?)
    Babette's feast (Just a wonderful movie. really, if you've never seen it, you have to make it a must-see...)

person
  • Thanks everyone. ?
    Will be setting up a dvd player (a sort of pre Netflix technology) as my brother in law may bring some films over. He is also pre cooking a turkey ...

• GuiGui Veteran

A Christmas Carol. 1938 and 1951 versions.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Speaking of Die Hard, some other movies that are or are not? Christmas movies too.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamiejones/are-these-christmas-movies

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    Thanks everyone. ?
    Will be setting up a dvd player (a sort of pre Netflix technology) as my brother in law may bring some films over. He is also pre cooking a turkey ...

If this is a rare opportunity, you may want to see if you can obtain a copy of Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away, not just the finest animated film ever made but one of the best period.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@Kerome said:

@lobster said:
    Thanks everyone. ?

If this is a rare opportunity, you may want to see if you can obtain a copy of Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away, not just the finest animated film ever made but one of the best period.

Every one of his movies are awesome. So damn good. Best film maker alive, maybe ever.

• 'The Life of Brian' - of course, based on a true story legend. Ah well late Christmas ... Thanks for other suggestions.

Samsara and Baraka seem beautiful but will not go down well as my family films. Depends on family I suppose ...

edited December 2018

@lobster said:
    'The Life of Brian' - of course, based on a true story legend.

I really love this film, it’s one of the ones I come back to when my mood needs a boost. It’s just so brilliantly done to use the backdrop of ancient Palestine as a wonderful send-up of Jesus and the whole ‘messiah’ concept. It’s a glorious, irreverent romp.

“Centuwion, thwow that man woughly to the floow!”

I also just saw the Incredibles 2, which I really enjoyed. The role reversal of Bob and Helen was a wonderful creative piece of storytelling, and the whole thing is packed with little gags and star turns. Baby Jack-Jack, Frozone and Edna Mode remain wonderful.