Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Baiji Dolphin

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited August 2007 in Arts & Writings
I don't know how to comment on this:
The End of the Baiji Dolphin

If we are interdependent, connected to all that is, we have lost part of ourselves.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2007
    And it is precisely the teachings of the Buddha in frightening real motion.

All things are Impermanent.
    Life is Suffering.

We are what we think. With our thoughts we make the world.

All is Yin, all is Yang.
    With every down, there is an up.
    With every Low there is a High.
    With every Suffering there is Joy.

Now I know about this organisation, I too can add my voice.
    Sad that I should learn of them this way.
    Happy that I can do something about it.

Thank you Simon.
  • edited August 2007
    The reason it becomes difficult to raise support for animal conservation is because animals go extinct all the time. And too, over 99% of all species that have ever existed are now gone...and not because of us.

Probably the most critical factor too is the cost/benefit ratio. By saving species X, we will get Y. So the benefits outweigh the costs. But if by saving species A, we don't Y. So the benefits do not outweigh the costs.

I am not dissing conservation at all. I'm just saying is that support and motivation is greatly lacking.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2007
    This is the first cetacean we have managed to drive to extinction and the first large mammal to go extinct as the result of human environmental action - as against hunting to extinction. It could be seen as a wake-up call but I fear that human greed will not be satisfied. Perhaps the only answer will come when we have driven ourselves to extinction by poisoning the air and water to the point where we shall not be able to survive. The Earth will roll on and whatever is left after our short, disastrous stay will have a chance then.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2007
    Yes, the earth will self-correct, even if it means killing us as a species.

Palzang
  • edited August 2007
    It is inevitable. Humans won't be here forever. The dinosaurs thrived for millions of years and what of us humans? 200,000 years as a species? We probably have a long time yet, but it won't last forever.