Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Alcohol

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited June 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Brian (and anyone else reading), do you drink alcohol at all?

Comments

• edited August 2004
    Yes, but not all that often (< once/week) But that also has more to do with me not really liking drinking than being buddhist.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited August 2004
    Do you think it conflicts with being Buddhist at all?
  • edited August 2004
    In the way that you should not want to do anything that harms your own self (http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/buddhism/buddhism3.html precept #5) then yes.

But also, buddhism is in many ways your own religious feelings and you don't have to feel like you must follow every little detail.

So I would say, yes and no (haha, helpful huh?)
    edited August 2004
    I dunno, I didn't really think of the five precepts as details... they're kinda basics :confused:

You around mr. admin-type-guy Brian? Any thoughts? :ninja:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2004
    Sorry, all this time I thought there were no new posts, and I realized today that I was not logged in and thus not seeing them. I am a pretty crappy site admin, huh? :o

Anyways:

Yes, I drink alcohol, on very rare occasions. I would say 10 times a year or less. I guess you would consider it "very light social drinking".

Does it conflict with Buddhism? You could say "yes", although so does being married, having sex, playing video games, and having kids. It doesn't necessarily "conflict", as nothing really "conflicts" with buddhism. If I can attain enlightenment and yet still be having sex, drinking alcohol, and being married to my wife, then one could say that none of those conflicts with buddhism.

Alcohol is considered "bad" because it can cloud your judgment, and thus make it harder for you to continue your personal journey to enlightment.

The key word there is "personal" - each person's journey is different, and thus rules can't really apply. If there were a rule that said "You cannot drink alcohol" then we would become attached to that rule, attached to the concept. Then, if you and I were together, and you saw me drinking, you would become attached to that rule and it would cause you to suffer. You would say "Brian, you're not supposed to be doing that!" and you would become angry or disappointed, which would hinder your journey.

It is very difficult for someone coming from our background, which consisted of religious rules that were hard and fast, to wrap our minds around a system that allows for basically any behavior. You have to remember that you are not accountable to anyone. You either move toward freedom from attachment, or add attachments.
    edited September 2004
    I am never gonna get my head around that idea <_<

You know, I've never tried alcohol before... ever (excepting communion wine until I was 18). I sometimes I think I'm just not doing it so I don't break my record :rolleyes:
    edited September 2004
    Dude, I was the exact same way. I didn't have my first drink until I was 21 or 22.

It's really nothing. I've never been drunk, it just doesn't bother or affect me that much. Mostly whenever I do drink, it's because of the taste (honest!). I only drink things that I enjoy the taste of. I can't stand beer. Bleh.
    edited September 2004
    Dude, that does it. I'm getting something good to drink the next time I go out... I'm tired of looking at the awesome drink selection at nice places and then ordering a Coke.

But yeah, no beer or weird drinks whose main purpose is to get the drinker intoxicated as quickly as possible :rolleyes:
    edited September 2004
    hahah great. Now I'm the one who is going to get blamed for your downfall due to alcoholism! :P
  • edited September 2004
    Originally posted by Brian@Sep 7 2004, 03:27 AM
    hahah great. Now I'm the one who is going to get blamed for your downfall due to alcoholism! :P
    What if Matt feels enlightened from being an alcoholic. :blink:
    A lot of places will make you fancy drinks w/o the alcohol if you ask.
    edited September 2004
    Yeah... it's just really annoying to have such incredible-sounding drinks available and never trying any. I used to order non-alcoholic daquiris at a dinner theater all the time :) Olive Garden also has a really amazing non-alcoholic citrus drink that I can't get enough of :D
  • edited September 2004
    Yes I drink alchohol too. I never drink to the point of getting drunk. I am not buddist but Christian who like the way buddist think and The bible says drink and be merry but to become drunk is a sin. So yea i drink but never get drunk.
    edited October 2004
    Brian, did anything change after taking the precepts?

I finally went out and drank with two of my closest friends this past weekend. We had a really good time, and I was careful not to drink too much the entire evening.

When I reflected on it the next day... I realized that I had had an attachment to never having drunk before. It was like it had become a critical component of my identity or something. Anyway, I almost hate to justify it this way, but it feels like I was able to let go of it that night and I actually feel better for having done it.
  • edited April 2005
    i drink alcohol even though i don't think i should. having confessed to that,when i have had a few drinks i become remorceful and guilty about all the bad karma i've wollowed in all day. at that point i start chanting mantras and perform mudras at all my collection of carved Bubbhas that stand guard in verious rooms in our house
    edited April 2005
    Welcome to the site, rooster :)

The guilt is self-defeating. Don't be too worried about the guilt that you feel. If you are guilty, then maybe you are drinking for a "reason".

I know that sounds strange, but I believe you can drink for fun to help lubricate social situations or to be considered acceptable (in certain cultures it is almost an insult not to have a drink in honor of someone or things like that), but if your intent is to drink to forget or drink to make yourself feel better, then you need to address that problem first. The drinking may be a byproduct of some bigger issue. As with all things, it comes down to intent. Only you know what your intention is when you drink. If it is innocent, don't guilt about it that much. I've found that the less attached I become to having a social drink once in a while, the less interesting it becomes.

I did have a warm brandy the other night to ease the pain in my throat (I've been sick with a cold for a week!), the "old polish cure" that I learned from my grandmother :p
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    A well-tried and tested flu' remedy, from my Scottish grandma.... you'll just have to imagine the accent, ok?

Take one bottle of good Single Malt Highland Whisky. Light a candle. Have a wee tot of whisky. Check the candle. Have another wee tot of whisky. Check the candle again...keep going, and when you see two candles - blow both of them out and go to bed!!

Rooster, a little of what you fancy does you good! Don't go whippin' yourself over the odd occasional good time! If it hurts no-one, enjoy. But all things in moderation! Welcome!!
  • edited April 2005
    Hello to All!

I thought that I would add my two cents to the discussion here. I personally don't drink but that is because I am a recovering alcoholic. I have been sober for nearly seven years. I don't think that drinking is bad or anything like that; it is just not an option for me. I know that I cannot be contented with one or two drinks so I don't mess with it. But, that is me and it is my choice to not drink. I have friends that do drink and that is fine with me; they respect my stance and I respect theirs.

Adiana
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    I had a teenage experience thatleft me deciding to never let alcohol get the better of me to the extent that 'it' was in control, as opposed to my being in control... but like Adiana, if anyone wants a drink, that's their business. Mind you, having worked in a bar, it never ceased to amaze me how co-herent, intelligent articulate men would rapidly decend into jibberish mode after a pint or two - ! :rolleyesc
  • edited May 2005
    Well, I guess I'll add my two cents as well. Growing up I was Catholic so I had a few sips of communion wine. Digusting stuff. I always hated the burn. Fortunately, I was born after the Vatican decided that you only had to take the bread since that counted for both. But, heh, what's first communion without giving kids alcohol / blood from some guy that died 2000 years ago. Anyways, that pretty much ruined me for alcohol for awhile - that, and picking up beer cans from the side of the road as a girl scout. Ugh, the smell!

Meanwhile, my sister married and then divorced a guy that turned out to be an alcoholic. My mom also invited an alcoholic lady to live with us since she needed to stay. My mom let's anyone stay there. It's really a wonder I was never molested or something growing up considering the wackos that she'd invite in. In her defense, she didn't know this tenant was an alcoholic at first, or that she was bi-polar. In fact, she was looking forward to extra income through rent - something that did not happen until recently when the lady (now finally doing better) started collecting disability. The point of this all is, I have been very fearful of becoming an alcoholic. For this reason, I didn't start drinking until rather recently.

A year or two ago I decided to face my fears and figure out what being drunk was like, how much it took, and how I would act under the influence. I was at a party (more quiet gathering) with a group of very trusted friends, including my husband (who also didn't start till recently). I told them I wanted to go ahead and get drunk. Well, they were happy to oblige. I was happy to find out that I am actually a pretty nice/giggly drunk - their words, not just mine. I also learned a valuable lesson about not mixing rum and root beer. Fizz and sweet + alcohol = nausea. Fortunately, all I got was a slight stomach ache afterwards.

It's been a year or two and I have gotten drunk only a couple of times, and not so gone that I couldn't walk on my own. Each time I decided beforehand that it was something I wanted to do and made sure that I prepared so that I would not be putting myself in danger. I do drink regularly without getting drunk - about two-four drinks a month or so. I found that a little bit of alcohol relieves backache and menstrual cramps much more effectively than the prescription pain killers the doc gave me, with less effects to my mental state and less detriment to my wallet. Also, a daquiri with a large, rich meal out is the only thing I've found to keep the food from going right through me - which used to be a huge problem.

I used to think that alcohol was just bad, period. Now I've come to appreciate it as something that has really helped me live a better life with less physical pain and sickness. I do, however, realize that it is a drug, that it can be addictive, and that I must be super careful not to let it's mind altering effects put me in danger. If someone is drinking to get drunk on a regular basis, they have a problem that they need to deal with. It's not just that the alcohol abuse is a problem, but also that they are almost definitely convering other problems with the alcohol, problems they need to deal with in healthier ways. However, if people can drink responsibly and know the risks, I don't think total abstaination is necessary. Moderation is the key, as with most things.
    edited May 2005
    ...."All things in moderation - including moderation.... !"

(Spoken by the Abbot of a chinese monastery to two monks he caught returning to the monastery a bit worse for wear after having 'succumbed to the temptation of the rice wine - ! It is said he confused them for weeks!)
  • edited May 2005
    DharmaKitten is right in saying that alcohol is a drug and should be treated as such. Saying that, I do drink occasionally. Not every day, and not five or six at a time. One or two every now and then. Some of my friends drink. Many don't. I am attending my best friend's wedding in early July and I know there will be a bar at the reception. I am not planning on getting hammered. I might have a couple. Whether you drink or not is up to you.
    edited May 2005
    It basicaly comes down to this, doesn't it....? Any form of excess to the point where the person feels unable or unwilling to exercise self-control, is an addiction...be it substantial or behavioural. "A little of what you fancy does you good...." ;)
  • edited June 2005
    I haven't had a drink in almost four years (this is fairly extreme for a 21 year old in England - as Federica could testify).

I don't think I'll ever drink again, it's no longer in my nature to be intoxicated (for me any drug, in any quantity, is intoxication).

I always used them to run from the truth.

Ironic seeing as I live it now!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I haven't had a drop in almost 5 years. I used ot live in Las Vegas and we would go drinking sometimes but I was in a bad car accident and I was taking some painkillers and I wasn't allowed to drink. After I stopped taking them I just kept making reasons not ot drink so then I just vowed not to drink ever again.