Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Insight for the day

KeromeKerome Love, love is mysteryThe Continent Veteran
edited February 1 in Buddhism Today

My insight for the day, on impermanence and no-self: when we die our atoms, the parts that make up our entire body, get recycled and reused by the environment. They have only temporarily been yours, after all they came from somewhere else and will go to somewhere else.

paulysoJaySonShoshinDavidlobster

Comments

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 1

    My Insight for the day: I've held this job for longer than any other actual paid job I've ever had, and at one point, one day, I will have to hang up my hat, call it quits, and retire.
    (Unless I'm fired, or made redundant first.)
    Then, I'll commit a crime and go to jail.

    Cushy!
    (I wonder if I'll get a gold watch from @Brian & @Linc.....)

    VastmindJaySonFoibleFullKundo
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think the void Veteran

    @Kerome said:
    ...after all they came from somewhere else...

    KeromeShoshinDavid
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

    Insight for the day

    Even when awake one's life unfolds like a dream...For things are never quite what they seem...

    paulyso
  • DavidDavid some guy Veteran

    I'm reminded of something Carl Sagan said. Not quite an opposing view.

    "The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it but the way those atoms are put together."

    person
  • DavidDavid some guy Veteran
    edited February 1

    @Kerome said:
    My insight for the day, on impermanence and no-self: when we die our atoms, the parts that make up our entire body, get recycled and reused by the environment. They have only temporarily been yours, after all they came from somewhere else and will go to somewhere else.

    This also makes want to chime in that really, it's all the same place. All borders are illusion.

    Self awareness is to distinguish between the universe and the self but that implies a border where there are only bridges.

  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

    Until you experience it first-hand, it is only an idea.

    lobsterShoshinpaulyso
  • Updating the incites:

    No updates required?
    https://www.realbuddhaquotes.com

  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran
    edited February 2

    @David said:

    @Kerome said:
    My insight for the day, on impermanence and no-self: when we die our atoms, the parts that make up our entire body, get recycled and reused by the environment. They have only temporarily been yours, after all they came from somewhere else and will go to somewhere else.

    This also makes want to chime in that really, it's all the same place. All borders are illusion.

    Indeed. But it is also so that along with the atoms that make up our body, also everything conditioned by the atoms is part of the borrowed structure. Our minds are shaped by and emerge from the body and it’s interactions with the world over time. The learning to see, hear, walk, type, poop, it is all the body — that temporarily-ours collection of particles. All the memes that we learn from the world also. What is left? Perhaps consciousness, the watcher, but even that undergoes change when we sleep, and is not as robust as we would like to believe.

  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

    It seems to me that desire comes from the past, from what you have known. It is basically a repetition, perhaps of a daydream or an illusion.

    paulyso
  • DavidDavid some guy Veteran

    @Kerome said:
    It seems to me that desire comes from the past, from what you have known. It is basically a repetition, perhaps of a daydream or an illusion.

    I wonder what that would say about instinct.

  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

    Insight for the day

    Nothing really matters (phenomena arise and depart) ....but the illusion persists ....

    Kundopaulyso
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran
    edited February 3

    @David said:

    @Kerome said:
    It seems to me that desire comes from the past, from what you have known. It is basically a repetition, perhaps of a daydream or an illusion.

    I wonder what that would say about instinct.

    Instinct is part of the body, it comes out when triggered. Perhaps it is something more of the present, such as a sexual instinct. But even that tends to draw on what we know of sex, a young teenage boys sexual instinct is not the same as that of a more mature man, and both leave a daydream or illusion behind.

    I find intuition a much more interesting faculty...

  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

    @Shoshin said:

    Insight for the day

    Even when awake one's life unfolds like a dream...For things are never quite what they seem...

    >
    zen minamalist?:see,what?!,ahh...be.(dance --tango--with karma)

    so interesting, > @Shoshin said:

    Insight for the day

    Nothing really matters (phenomena arise and depart) ....but the illusion persists ....

    another way of saying,emptiness = form ; form = emptiness .or einstien science "buddhist":energy=matter ; matter =energy.so emptiness can correlate to energy --the potential to do work(karma). and form can correlate to matter--the temporal(temporary)work of energy.so it's all karma?!

    leading to a dao-zen insight:fighting karma leads to difficulty ;working with karma leads to easy way.is that the way?

  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

    @FoibleFull said:
    Until you experience it first-hand, it is only an idea.

    so we do.experience for ourselves.totally agree with you,foiblefull.

  • @FoibleFull said:
    Until you experience it first-hand, it is only an idea.

    Indeed.
    The point of bodhisattva resonance and sila is to turn theory into practice/being/experience.

    We all want to be Happy, content, at ease. How?
    One way is extreme understanding or insight into others real needs, rather than their unskilful habits and tendency towards unhelpful, unkind or useless behaviour.

    Insight is obvious. Wisdom is everywhere. Be kind. Simple.

    person
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

    @lobster said:

    @FoibleFull said:
    Until you experience it first-hand, it is only an idea.

    Insight is obvious. Wisdom is everywhere. Be kind. Simple.

    Are ideas valuable? It reminds me of a story... I have heard that the oracle of Delphi once declared that Socrates was the wisest man of the land. This happened not long after Socrates told his followers that “I know nothing.”

    It seems that ‘being’ is more important than ‘knowing’. Still even this idea proves that sometimes the right idea at the right time can be valuable in helping you to let go of what you don’t need :)

  • personperson Don't believe everything you think the void Veteran

    @Kerome said:

    @lobster said:

    @FoibleFull said:
    Until you experience it first-hand, it is only an idea.

    Insight is obvious. Wisdom is everywhere. Be kind. Simple.

    Are ideas valuable? It reminds me of a story... I have heard that the oracle of Delphi once declared that Socrates was the wisest man of the land. This happened not long after Socrates told his followers that “I know nothing.”

    Maybe I'm misreading this and you're expressing something else, but what comes to my mind in response is...

    “As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” ― Albert Einstein

    My take is that Socrates was expressing intellectual humility. The more we understand, the more we realize that there is so much more that we don't know.

    It seems that ‘being’ is more important than ‘knowing’. Still even this idea proves that sometimes the right idea at the right time can be valuable in helping you to let go of what you don’t need :)

    I think it depends on what you mean by knowing. In the west we generally define knowledge as a purely intellectual phenomenon. I think in the eastern wisdom traditions knowledge is thought of more as what the west might call procedural knowledge, or what we know deeply or intuitively. Ask anyone on the street whether they will die and almost everyone will know that it is true. Ask someone who has survived a near fatal accident or illness if they will die and the knowledge that they have is very different.

    lobster
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

    @person said:
    My take is that Socrates was expressing intellectual humility. The more we understand, the more we realize that there is so much more that we don't know.

    I thought on reading the story that Socrates was expressing the difficulty of proof. It is easy to say something and consider it as your opinion, very much harder to come out with something and state that you categorically know it to be true. But perhaps the story has different meanings.

    It seems that ‘being’ is more important than ‘knowing’. Still even this idea proves that sometimes the right idea at the right time can be valuable in helping you to let go of what you don’t need :)

    Ask anyone on the street whether they will die and almost everyone will know that it is true. Ask someone who has survived a near fatal accident or illness if they will die and the knowledge that they have is very different.

    It has a different quality because of the experience that they have been through, that is certain. But I think that brings about more of a change in your being than just in the knowledge you hold.

  • personperson Don't believe everything you think the void Veteran
    edited February 7

    @Kerome said:

    @person said:
    My take is that Socrates was expressing intellectual humility. The more we understand, the more we realize that there is so much more that we don't know.

    I thought on reading the story that Socrates was expressing the difficulty of proof. It is easy to say something and consider it as your opinion, very much harder to come out with something and state that you categorically know it to be true. But perhaps the story has different meanings.

    That sounds good, I think that is also an expression of intellectual humility.

    It seems that ‘being’ is more important than ‘knowing’. Still even this idea proves that sometimes the right idea at the right time can be valuable in helping you to let go of what you don’t need :)

    Ask anyone on the street whether they will die and almost everyone will know that it is true. Ask someone who has survived a near fatal accident or illness if they will die and the knowledge that they have is very different.

    It has a different quality because of the experience that they have been through, that is certain. But I think that brings about more of a change in your being than just in the knowledge you hold.

    Maybe this is primarily a semantic disagreement, I think that is essentially what I was trying to say, but I was saying that knowledge isn't limited to the intellect. I think one of the key pieces of wisdom I received from my time in the scholarly Gelug school of TB was that the learning and knowledge acquired isn't worth much on the spiritual path if it only remains at an intellectual level, that we need to take it into our hearts, or being, and allow it to change us. But also that having a "correct" set of intellectual beliefs matters a lot since that is what we will be taking into our being.

  • It seems that ‘being’ is more important than ‘knowing’.

    In the sense you perhaps mean it yes. In Christian terms, Grace is the enactment of Gnosis. In Buddhist terms we might say knowing is dualistic and being is unitary. We can go beyond knowing but going beyond being ... B)

Sign In or Register to comment.