Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it fun being a Buddhist?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited February 14 in Buddhism Today

Then they asked some interesting questions: Is there a God in Buddhism? Do Buddhists eat different food? Do they have a celebration like Christmas? Is it fun being a Buddhist? How do you become one?

The above is from another thread. The questions are from children.
It often is not fun BUT it can be. How?

• More child dharma, less sombre sangha sufferers
  • More fun meditations. Will introduce red nose tantra teachings for clowns ...
  • Send Ajahn Brahm on a comedy workshop to increase his skill set

Any other tips?

VastmindadamcrossleyKerome

Comments

• federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Take every opportunity to find humour where you're at. Laugh. Everything is so ridiculous, especially the really serious bits.

(This of course, does not mean laughing inappropriately; schadenfreude is inconsiderate; laughing at the guy who slipped and banged his head on the ice, is inappropriate).
    But many serious situations can be lightened by finding something to smile about within them.
    Find it. And smile.

After all, most smiles are begun by other smiles. And we all look younger with a smile on our face.
    Be young at heart. therein lies the fun.

VastmindpersonShoshinlobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 15

Dodge ball meditation possible? Reverse the fifth precept? Mindful pizza eating? Mindful artwork? Dharma quests in the world of Skyrim?

Some things don't seem to fit in as well but some fun things I think we can do with the dharma. I am oversees so I don't get to partake but it seems my teachers group likes to hike around the wilderness of Wales and do smoke puja or things like that. That sounds very fun to me. My brother has a hobby of looking and taking pictures of mushrooms. So some things like outdoors seem to fit. I don't think it's a good idea to reverse the fifth precept I guess though. Also some traditions like Tibetan singing and dancing (songs of enlightenment) are part of it while some traditions entertainment shows is prohibited but sometimes it's hard to know what types of entertaining shows they were talking about in ancient scripture?

lobster
  • Of course it is fun being a Buddhist. Part of the development of self confidence derived from the practice of Buddhism is the increase in the ability to better enjoy life with all its foibles. For me Buddhism is life and life is fun. of course life is serious. There is nothing more serious than life. But it is the greatest adventure. it is the ultimate adventure and we each have the opportunity to live it fully. life with all its glory, with all its pain, is full of mystery and exciting possibilities each and every moment. Yes Buddhism is fun because it allows me to create value from every situation. It enables me to love myself with the inclusive love the opens to take in family, friends and strangers.

Peace to all

lobsterpersonDakini
  • Thanks everyone, we may haz plan ...
    From @federica we may need the taboo breaking crazies
    https://cundi.weebly.com/crazies.html

Some of @Jeffrey ideas are part of traditions for example beginner zen monastics quite often have to train under the cook, who trains them in mindful cooking.
    https://goodlifezen.com/zen-in-the-kitchen/

As we increasingly take formal stillness into more activities, all potentially becomes dharma mindfulness. Initially I would suggest from experience this is easier in quieter activities ...

For me:

• photography
    • nature based being
    • household chores

Here’s the ‘Housework Meditation’ technique:

Focus only on the task at hand
    And your breathing
    Breathe normally, just pay attention to it
    And the task at hand
    Try and catch yourself when you start thinking about something else, something irrelevant to the task at hand
    Then – without berating yourself for losing concentration – move your focus back to the task at hand
    repeat until the task is done.

http://rebelzen.com/2008/10/how-to-meditate-while-youre-doing-housework/

namarupa
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran

Celebrate. Dance. Be creative. Enjoy being together. Make music.

And afterwards do a little meditation together.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited February 15

Is there a God in Buddhism?

Unconditional LOVE is god...

Do Buddhists eat different food?

Buddhists eat mindfully, this way the food becomes different...

Do they have a celebration like Christmas?

Every day is a celebration where we exchange gifts of smiles & kindness with friends and strangers..

Is it fun being a Buddhist?

The Heart of Happiness (being happy) is a serious business...just ask the Dalai Lama :)

How do you become one?

With practice... (This question is quite profound.... )

• Is it fun being a Buddhist?

No fun? Pah! What sort of austerity is fun?
    Flower bondage?

or hardcore mala chains ...

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

The older these monks get (and I've been with my own teacher for almost 20 years), the more relaxed and amused they get.
    MUST be fun.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

More fun meditations. Will introduce red nose tantra teachings for clowns ...

Dear BlueNoses and Crusty Clowns of Tantra

Time to tweak

As we knows, nobody on reflection is either a complete clown or an incomplete Buddha ...

However if we laugh for others maybe we can collect:

• smiles
    • calmer karma
    • sila the seal

Be young at heart. therein lies the fun.

FoibleFull
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

my fake zen,a time for work and a time for fun.literally im man child.got no teeth."perfect"--born without teeth;die without teeth.

lobsterShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@paulyso you might be interested in the Sacred Buddha Tooth of Kandy fairy story ...
    https://www.thoughtco.com/the-buddhas-tooth-449905

You could not make this stuff up ... or then again ... ;)

Kundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@FoibleFull said:
    The older these monks get (and I've been with my own teacher for almost 20 years), the more relaxed and amused they get.
    MUST be fun.

B)
    Must be all that 'letting go' and simplified living ...
    They are also on permenant 'retreat', surrounded by dharma fanatics friends and ...

No wonder they are one of the three jewels ... :)

• techietechie India Veteran
    edited March 3

@FoibleFull said:
    MUST be fun.

If someone sponsors your business class trips and 5-star hotel stays - plus all the fame and fortune - then I am sure you'll also be amused and relaxed all the time. :p

• federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@techie sometimes I am rendered speechless by your banal and tactless whittering.
    Such a stupid thing to say.
    Would you rather they walked everywhere and slept in a cardboard box?
    At least their lives have meaning and significance.
    Which is more than can be said for others who travel by private plane and feel entitled to luxurious surroundings.

• techietechie India Veteran

@federica said:
    @techie sometimes I am rendered speechless by your banal and tactless whittering.
    Which is more than can be said for others who travel by private plane and feel entitled to luxurious surroundings.

There are many Buddhists even today (in places like Burma and Bhutan) who live very simple lives, survive by asking for alms, never accept donations or luxuries of any kind. We should derive inspiration from them, wouldn't you agree?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Cardboard box? You were lucky. We used to dream of a cardboard box! :p

Cue Four Yorkshiremen ...

Kundo

@techie said:

@federica said:

There are many Buddhists even today (in places like Burma and Bhutan) who live very simple lives, survive by asking for alms, never accept donations or luxuries of any kind. We should derive inspiration from them, wouldn't you agree?

Not necessarily, no.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Poverty is not a form of inverse-spiritual attachment. Spiritual poverty is a state of inner emptying. Are we independent of status, spiritual attainment, ladder or level based spiritual attire?

Sometimes we have to wear out the adornments ...

And now back to fun riches ...

Kerome