Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have a question!!

edited June 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hello, this is my first time posting here. I've resently been looking up information about Buddhism because I'm thinking of becoming one. I think that the views of Buddhism are much more suited for me than any other religion.....But back to my question!

Before I started searching information on Buddhism, one of my friends told me that Buddhism accepted all the religions, saying that it was just another path to god/heaven. I just wanted to see if that was true before I start saying that too anyone else. Also, if I do become a Buddhist, is it alright for me to join my family in Mass for Chirstmas and Easter?

Comments

• edited June 2005
    There is no conflict, insofar as Buddhism is concerned, with you practicing Buddhist principles and also joining your family for Christmas Mass.

There is likely a conflict in regards to the Catholic teaching regarding Buddhism, but that may or may not be an issue with most people.

We should respect other's religious beliefs, even if we disagree with them. Any philosophy which teaches the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path is valid.

Of course you should join with your family for holidays -- they are your family. You should love them and respect them, and, in turn, they should love and respect you.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Hello GetPocky55,

I am sure that Brian and the others will also welcome you but I got here before them! So: Welcome to a wonderfully supportive Buddhist site.

The question that you ask is not a simple one. You will find that the majority of Buddhists and of Christians would tell you that the two 'paths' are mutually incompatible. The main reasons are:

* Buddhism does not recognise a "Supereme Being/Creator" type of god;
    * Buddhism does not believe that enlightenement/salvation comes from outside us or even from a teacher but is achieved from within.
    * Christianity requires belief in the divinity of Jesus.
    * Christianity requires belief in Original Sin and the substitutionary sacrifice of the Cross.

All these are true, as far as they go, but there are other views, at the 'cutting edge' of the faith families. The problem is that, if you want to combine Buddhist and Christian practice, you may need to go deeply into both. You will find opposition from clergy and laity alike. There are some good books to help and some of us, here, take that path.

One writer you might like to look at straight away is Father Anthony de Mello. He was an Indian Jesuit. His Sadhana is subtitled Christian Exercises in Eastern Form and is a good fusion of practices.

If you are really interested in how to continue with a Christian faith that is compatible with Buddhism, I shall be delighted to offer what small knowledge I have and, more important (I hope), support along the pilgrim way.
  • edited June 2005
    From my understanding of the question he isn't asking if he can combine the two philosophically, but rather if he can mix them culturally. Which he can.

You don't have to believe in transubstantiation to go to Mass, nor is it a requisite that one believe in the risen Christ to eat Eastern Dinner with your folks.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Welcome to the site, GotPocky :)

There is nothing in Buddhist teachings that says "You CANNOT" or "You MUST NOT". There are "this is bad for you, you shouldn't do this, you will find difficulty if you do this...", etc. instead.

I was born and raised catholic. The rituals, the prayers, the dogma, they are all just that to me. They hold no meaning with me anymore, at least in a "salvation" sense. Instead, I take solace in the comforting cultural and family aspects of those holidays and rituals. There is nothing wrong at all with enjoying Christmas with your catholic family or having easter dinner! If it will keep peace in the family, say the prayers with them. Say grace. What difference does it make? If you find that praying without "belief" bothers you, then you will see that the attachment that you have to your upbringing is what is causing the suffering, not the act of prayer itself. The prayer itself is just words and thoughts - impermenant objects that ultimately mean nothing. :)
  • edited June 2005
    Thank you guys so much! And also thank you for the warm welcomes. ^_^ It's good to know that I can still go to mass with my family...which really won't be too big of a problem for me. I, too, was raised in a Catholic family and whenever I went to mass I just couldn't feel anything... I'm not attached to it (by the way, I'm a girl just incase some of you want to know) lol random yes

Now, if I go to a local temple, I'm sure they will help me start off. But how was your first experience when you first became a Buddhist?
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    My account of my first visit to a temple can be found in the introduce yourself thread. :thumbsup:
  • edited June 2005
    Hello, GotPocky55!

My name is Adiana and am a Wiccan of the Correllian Tradition. I am also a Nichiren Buddhist. I want to say welcome to the site and you will find people here that are very kind and supportive. I remember my first visit to the SGI community center in Indianapolis, Indiana. I worried that I might not be welcome because of my being a Wiccan but I was wrong---I was welcomed with open arms. I also used to be a Baptist. I was brought up in that faith but I always had problems with the doctrines being taught plus my questions were summarily dismissed instead of being answered and I also had problems with that as well. Please know that I do not put down Christianity or any other religion. I think that people have the right to choose whatever spiritual path they desire. I do know some Christians that do not put me down because I choose to be Wiccan as well as a Nichiren Buddhist. I think that a lot of religious intolerance is due to fear and ignorance of religions that are not considered mainstream like Christianity or being of the Jewish faith. This is just my opinion, however. Again, welcome and I look forward to getting to know you.

Adiana :):):lol::lol:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Someone told me once, "Jesus was a perfect Jesus, Buddha was a perfect Buddha, and they each taught Truth as it was realized by each of them." It might apply to much here, but I thought it may convey the spirit of this post. There is no conflict unless the conflict arises within your own mind.
  • edited June 2005
    I shoulda' said s/he! :)

My fault. Welcome aboard.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    GotPocky55"...?!? Ok, I won't ask....! :lol: Welcome aboard, and hope you enjoy your journey.... :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I love pocky. Mmmmmm. It's an anime geeks best friend.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Welcome. :) Big day here on the forum. We have had like 20 new members. LOL
  • edited June 2005
    Wow, thanks everyone. I makes me feel a lot better. Yes, pocky is awesome!!! Actually I use this name everywhere I go cause I have a nack for forgetting things ^_^ And don't even worry about it ZanyMike, I didn't tell you I was a girl so it's quite alright. Actually I'm going camping today with my aunt and uncle and won't be back till monday! Tehe, I love camping but I'll be gone till then!