Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The 12 nidanas- seperated into three lifes or constantly repeating?

edited August 2009 in Philosophy
The 12 nidanas are said by Nyanatiloka to be seperated into three lifes:

1-2. former life
3-10 current life
11-12 future life

Nyanatiloka writes here :

Against Dr. Paul Dahlke's misconception of the paticcasamuppāda as "one single karmical moment of personal experience," and of the 'simultaneity' of all the 12 links of this formula, I should like to state here distinctly that the interpretation of the p. given here as comprising 3 successive lives not only agrees with all the different schools of Buddhism and all the ancient commentaries, but also is fully identical with the explanations given already in the canonical suttas. Thus, for example, it is said verbatim in Nidāna-Samyutta (S. XII, 51):

"Once ignorance (1) and clinging (9) are extinguished, neither karmically meritorious, nor demeritorious, nor imperturbable karma-formations (2=10) are produced, and thus no consciousness (3=11) will spring up again in a new mother's womb." And further: "For, if consciousness were not to appear in the mother's womb, would in that case mentality and corporeality (4) arise?" Cf. above diagram.

What evidence do those have who claim paticcasamuppāda is "one single karmical moment of personal experience" ?

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Why, the evidence of personal practice. That is the point of practice.

This is the first time I've heard someone claim the many-lives interpretation of dependent origination in opposition to the immediate-experience interpretation. Usually, it's claimed that both interpretations hold, because the immediate-experience interpretation is immediately verifiable from, well, immediate experience, and is so well supported scripturally. I have to wonder whether they're serious.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    fofoo wrote: »
    Thus, for example, it is said verbatim in Nidāna-Samyutta (S. XII, 51):

"Once ignorance (1) and clinging (9) are extinguished, neither karmically meritorious, nor demeritorious, nor imperturbable karma-formations (2=10) are produced, and thus no consciousness (3=11) will spring up again in a new mother's womb." And further: "For, if consciousness were not to appear in the mother's womb, would in that case mentality and corporeality (4) arise?" Cf. above diagram.
    Nyanatiloka Mahathera (February 19, 1878, Wiesbaden, GermanyMay 28, 1957, Colombo, Ceylon), born as Anton Gueth, was the first non-British European in modern times to become a Buddhist monk.
    Foo Foo

You are reading a very old translation. The sutta does not say what Nyanatiloka says it says. There is no words regarding a 'mother's womb' anywhere in it. The sutta actually states:
    ‘‘Sabbaso va pana sankharesu asati, sankharanirodha api nu kho vinnanam pannayetha ti? ‘‘No hetam, bhante’’.

When there are thoroughly no formations, with freedom from (nirodha) sankhara (formations) would consciousness (vinnanam) be discerned (pannayetha)?

No, venerable sir.
    The sutta ends with the words, refering to the here & now:
    Just this is the end of suffering.
    What evidence do those have who claim paticcasamuppāda is "one single karmical moment of personal experience" ?
    Evidence comes from meditative insight.

However, regarding your so-called "evidence" from an archiac & inaccurate translation by one single man who chose to leave Europe and go to Ceylon, this is no evidence at all.

The sutta states when there are no sankhara affected by ignorance, the third of which is ignorant perception, there will be no regarding phenomena as "consciousness", "birth", "aging & death", etc, and "just this is the end of suffering".

The sutta starts with the words: "When a person makes a thorough investigation of the many diverse sufferings that arise in the world, headed by aging & death, what is the source of this sufffering?"

The sutta ends with the answer, the source of suffering is regarding phenomena as 'conscious' and ultimately due to craving & attachment, regarding phenomena as subject to 'birth' & 'death'. "Oh, my mother died, I am so sad".

This is because one regards that phenomena as a conscious life form, as being "mine" and as subject to something called "death". But when a mind is free from "I" and "mine", there is no birth & no death.
    "'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.' Thus was it said. With reference to what was it said? 'I am' is a construing. 'I am this' is a construing. 'I shall be' is a construing. 'I shall not be'... 'I shall be possessed of form'... 'I shall not be possessed of form'... 'I shall be percipient'... 'I shall not be percipient'... 'I shall be neither percipient nor non-percipient' is a construing. Construing is a disease, construing is a cancer, construing is an arrow. By going beyond all construing, he is said to be a sage at peace.

"Furthermore, a sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die, is unagitated, and is free from longing. He has nothing whereby he would be born. Not being born, will he age? Not aging, will he die? Not dying, will he be agitated? Not being agitated, for what will he long? It was in reference to this that it was said, 'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.140.than.html

If you wish to comprehend dependent origination, you must see for yourself the notions, concepts or 'ideas' of 'birth' & 'death' are merely creations of your own mind created by sankharas, namely, the cittasankhara, which is perception, and sankhara khanda, which is ignorance, emotion & thought.

:)
    edited July 2009
    The 12 nidanas are said by Nyanatiloka to be seperated into three lifes:

1-2. former life
    3-10 current life
    11-12 future life
    The suttas provide no evidence of the above. The suttas always state the twelve links arise & end in the here & now.

It is up to you to provide evidence. It is not up to us to provide evidence.

The only evidence you can provide are words not by the Buddha and notions that do not accord with verifiable experience.

On seeing a form with the eye, he is passionate for it if it is pleasing; he is angry with it if it is displeasing. He lives with mindfulness to the body unestablished, with a limited mind, and he does not understand realistically the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Engaged as he is in favouring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels - whether pleasant or painful or neither-pleasant-nor-painful - he delights in that feeling, welcomes it, and remains holding on to it. As he does so, delight (nandi) arises in him. Now, delight in feelings is clinging. Becoming is conditioned by his clinging; becoming conditions birth; birth conditions ageing-&-death; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair come to be. Thus is the arising of this entire mass of suffering.
    </O:p
    On seeing a form with the eye, he is not passionate for it if it is pleasing; he is not angry at it if it is displeasing. He lives with attention to body established, with an immeasurable mind and he understands realistically the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Having abandoned favouring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels - whether pleasant or painful or neither-pleasant-nor-painful - he does not delight in that feeling, welcome it, or remain holding to it. As he does not do so, delight in feelings ceases in him. From the cessation of his delight comes cessation of clinging; from the cessation of clinging, the cessation of becoming; from the cessation of becoming, the cessation of birth; from the cessation of birth, ageing-&-death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair cease. Thus is the cessation of this entire mass of suffering.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    Mahàtanhàsankhaya Sutta

• edited July 2009
    The suttas provide no evidence of the above. The suttas always state the twelve links arise & end in the here & now.

It is up to you to provide evidence. It is not up to us to provide evidence.

I do not have to provide evidence since I claimed nothing, I merely asked if Nyanatiloka`claim was right. Thank you both for your contribution in this thread.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    The abhidharma gives several interpretations of the 12 links, which can be in three lives, two lives, or one life. The three lives interpretation described above comes from abhidharma, it is not Nyantiloka's invention.
  • edited July 2009
    I don't see what the big deal is... dependent origination has been explained in various ways by the Buddha, both as ending just in this life (naamaruupapaccayaa vi~n~naa.na.m, vi~n~naa.napaccayaa naamaruupa.m) and as what seems to suggest going further to past lives (avijjaapaccayaa...) The point is not that one should delve into past or future lives, but merely make an understanding of how this whole mass of suffering (and rebirth) arises and comes to an end. Of course, in practice, all 12 parts come into play, no one, not Nyanatiloka, not the commentaries, was ever trying to claim otherwise.

It would do good to put this teaching into perspective by mentioning the other two knowledges that arose for the Bodhisatta on the night of enlightenment; 1) recollection of past lives, 2) knowledge of the passing away and rebirth of beings. Following as it does after these two knowledges, it would be silly to dismiss the "three life" idea as being an impractical interpretation, since it is clearly an extension of these two. It is merely an extrapolation of the knowledge that arises in insight meditation, which of course has nothing to do with past or future lives.

Two cents.
    edited August 2009
    Two cents.
    Saddhu Venerable Yuttadhammo

Welcome and well spoken. "Two cents" is an apt summation given by yourself.

The matter is a huge deal. It is so gravely & urgently pressing & essential.

Either one develops a "right view" with asava and connected to becoming & merit or one develops a right view as a factor of the path, supramundane, leading to liberation. (see MN 117)

The suttas state dependent origination arises "when the eye sees the form" and it quenches when "the eye sees the form, the ear hears the sound...etc" (see MN 38).

I would suggest you support your reasoning with actual quotes from suttas on the subject of dependent origination rather than the three knowledges, which was something often taught to Brahmins during debates.

The three knowledges is a different teaching. Further, the supramundane meaning of "past dwellings" ("past lives") is explained in SN 22.79.

Dependent origination states after aging & death comes sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief & despair and the whole mass of suffering.

Now how can something "dead" experience sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief & despair and the whole mass of suffering?

Aging and death is merely any form of impermanence. Birth is merely one's complete self-image or self-concept; all of the things born of identification with and mental aquisition of the five aggregates.

Buddha advised dependent origination is something to be seen by the wise person (paccattam veditabbo vinnuhi). The "seeing" is via discernment or vipassana rather than via divine eye (MN 38).

I would suggest one study Wikipedia regarding the meaning of jati in India. This meaning is also held in Buddhism.

With dhamma

DDhatu

edited August 2009
    ...it would be silly to dismiss the "three life" idea as being an impractical interpretation, since it is clearly an extension of these two.
    Dear Yuttadhammo

I do not regard it as silly at all.

Whilst each of us is free to hold an opinion, I would respectfully regard what you regard as "silly" as silly.

In my opinion, such a view convolutes the Buddha's Dhamma and hinders the way to liberation.

Buddha said:
    Now, the Blessed One has said, "Whoever sees dependent co-arising sees the Dhamma; whoever sees the Dhamma sees dependent co-arising." And these things — the five aggregates — are dependently co-arisen. Any desire, embracing, grasping & holding-on to these five aggregates is the origination of stress. Any subduing of desire & passion, any abandoning of desire & passion for these five aggregates is the cessation of stress.' And even to this extent, friends, the monk has accomplished a great deal.

MN 38
    There is no need for anyone to convolute such a straightforward and core dhamma.

Buddha taught many teachings about rebirth for ordinary people. There is no need to taint Dependent Origination and turn lokuttara dhamma into lokiya dhamma.

The Awakened One, best of speakers,
    Spoke two kinds of truths:
    The conventional and the ultimate.
    A third truth does not obtain.

Therein:
    The speech wherewith the world converses is true
    On account of its being agreed upon by the world.
    The speech which describes what is ultimate is also true,
    Through characterizing dhammas as they really are.

Therefore, being skilled in common usage,
    False speech does not arise in the Teacher,
    Who is Lord of the World,
    When he speaks according to conventions.
    (Mn. i. 95)
    edited August 2009
    jinzang wrote: »
    The abhidharma gives several interpretations of the 12 links, which can be in three lives, two lives, or one life. The three lives interpretation described above comes from abhidharma, it is not Nyantiloka's invention.
    The Abhidharma is not the Buddha's teaching. Abhidharma is teachings by monks who came after the Buddha, just like Nyantiloka.

These monks give the impression they were not liberated beings given they did not possess the vast gratitude towards Dependent Origination a liberated mind would hold.

Abdhidharma holds two extreme views of Dependent Origination. The first, so momentary & fast that it cannot be discerned. The second, a theory encompassing three life-times. Neither are the middle-way and not objects of contemplation.

In MN 115, the Buddha advised a discerning person is skilled in the elements, skilled in the sense bases and skilled in dependent origination.

Dependent origination is our basic training. Possessing wisdom at sense contact so the mind does not manifest into craving, attachment, becoming, birth and the whole mass of dukkha.

Nothing else can be regarded as so urgent and important.

:buck:
    11. Those who mistake the unessential to be essential and the essential to be unessential, dwelling in wrong thoughts, never arrive at the essential.

12. Those who know the essential to be essential and the unessential to be unessential, dwelling in right thoughts, do arrive at the essential.

Dhammapada
  • edited August 2009
    I do not have to provide evidence since I claimed nothing, I merely asked if Nyanatiloka`claim was right. Thank you both for your contribution in this thread.

Actually, you didn't ask if his claim was right at all. You threw out a passage from his works -- one with a quite prejudicial slant to it -- and asked what evidence those who do not subscribe to his point of view have to support their understanding of paticcasamuppada.

Nyanatiloka's assumptions are not shared by all, and are being challenged here, along with his poor translation, which is not at all "verbatim" as he has claimed. Other problematic assumptions revealed in the link you provide include -- but are not limited to -- the injection of hindukarma into the definition of sankhara and the reification of vinnana as an entity, as a "something" that feels and experiences, and reaps the results of good and evil actions done here and there.

If you do not provide evidence to support these assumptions of the author you have cited, then his claim has been successfully and handily refuted here, and there is nothing more to discuss regarding Nyanatiloka's claim that you cite above.

not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you.

Further, the Buddha never taught paticcasamuppada as a function of "three lives". Had he done so, we would see the words "three lives" over and over again in the many quotes in the Suttas in which the BUddha discusses paticcasamuppada. "Three lives" was a later invention of persons who came to Buddhism and could not let go of their cosmological worldviews.

Nor did the Buddha teach "abhidharma".
  • edited August 2009
    I don't see what the big deal is... dependent origination has been explained in various ways by the Buddha, both as ending just in this life (naamaruupapaccayaa vi~n~naa.na.m, vi~n~naa.napaccayaa naamaruupa.m) and as what seems to suggest going further to past lives (avijjaapaccayaa...)

"....what seems to suggest....." you say, Venerable? Supported by the single word avijjapaccaya (which means "ignorance conditions..., "conditions being a verb)...? What exactly in "avijjapaccaya..." is supposed to "seem to suggest going further to past lives"?

Text without context, Venerable, is pretext.

The point is not that one should delve into past or future lives, but merely make an understanding of how this whole mass of suffering (and rebirth) arises and comes to an end.
    The "whole mass of suffering", yes. Respectfully, you have added the word "rebirth" without any support, Sir. Jati means "birth", with all of the same connotations as in English, including those of the "birth" of an idea, of a nation, and, as the Buddha used it in his teaching of paticcasamuppada, of self-view.
    Of course, in practice, all 12 parts come into play, no one, not Nyanatiloka, not the commentaries, was ever trying to claim otherwise.
    How so? Are you conceding here that the Buddha taught paticcasamuppada in the here-and-now, then?
    It would do good to put this teaching into perspective by mentioning the other two knowledges that arose for the Bodhisatta on the night of enlightenment; 1) recollection of past lives, 2) knowledge of the passing away and rebirth of beings.
    It would do good to examine what each of these knowledges really were. As DD has pointed out above regarding the First Knowledge, [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]pubbenivasa[/FONT] means "previous dwellings", not "past lives". Further, the Buddha explained this knowledge very clearly in SN 22.79:

Bhikkhus, any group of Samanas or Brahmins when recollecting pubbenivasa (previous dwellings), naturally recollect such previous dwellings in diverse numbers; in doing so, all of those Samanas and Brahmins recollect the five upadana-khandhas or any one of the five upadana-khandhas. What are these five? The five are …
    Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect rupa (form) as "in the distant past we had a rupa like this."
    Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect vedana (feeling) as "in the distant past we had vedana like this."
    Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect sanya (recognition, perception) as "in the distant past we had sanya like this."
    Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect sankhara (concocting, thinking, emotions) as "in the distant past we had sankhara like this."
    Bhikkhus, when they recollect, they naturally recollect vinyanaas "in the distant past we had a vinyana like this."
    This clearly puts the Buddha's teaching of the "Knowledge of [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]Pubbenivasa" [/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]squarely and completely in the [/FONT]realm of lokuttaradhamma, that is, dhamma aimed at the quenching of suffering; rather than speculative views of cosmology or metaphysics.

The Second Knowledge is that of the "[SIZE=+1]origin of repeated birth and passing away of beings in the world[/SIZE]". The Buddha clarifies this in the Loka Sutta, SN ii 12 44(4):
    [SIZE=+1]I will teach you, monks, the origin of repeated birth and passing away of beings in this world. What, monks, is the origin of beings?

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1]On account of the eye base and visible object, eye consciousness arises. Contact (phassa) is the conjunction of the three; through contact, feeling arises; through feeling desire arises; through desire attachment (upadana) arises; through attachment bhava (process of becoming) arises; through becoming birth arises; through birth decay and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair.

On account of the EAR BASE and SOUND, EAR CONSCIOUSNESS arises. Contact (phassa) is the conjunction of the three; through contact , FEELING arises; through feeling desire arises ; through desire attachment (upadana) arises; through attachment bhava (process of becoming) arises; through becoming birth arises; through birth decay and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair. On account of the nose base and odour, smell consciousness arises. Contact (phassa) is the conjunction of the three; through contact, feeling arises; through feeling desire arises; through desire attachment (upadana) arises; through attachment bhava (process of becoming) arises; through becoming birth arises; through birth decay and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair.

On account of the taste base and taste, taste consciousness arises. Contact (phassa) is the conjunction of the three; through contact, feeling arises; through feeling desire arises; through desire attachment (upadana) arises; through attachment bhava (process of becoming) arises; through becoming birth arises; through birth decay and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair.

On account of the bodybase and bodily impression, body consciousness arises. Contact (phassa) is the conjunction of the three; through contact , feeling arises; through feeling desire arises ; through desire attachment (upadana) arises; through attachment bhava (process of becoming) arises; through becoming birth arises; through birth decay and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair.

On account of the mental element base and mental object element, mind consciousness arises. Contact (phassa) is the conjunction of the three; through contact, feeling arises; through feeling desire arises; through desire attachment (upadana) arises; through attachment bhava (process of becoming) arises; through becoming birth arises; through birth decay and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair.[/SIZE]
    Again, this puts this knowledge squarely within the realm of what we can know and see in the here-and-now, in the realm of the Buddha's lokuttaradhamma.
    Following as it does after these two knowledges, it would be silly to dismiss the "three life" idea as being an impractical interpretation, since it is clearly an extension of these two.
    Following as it does after these two lokuttara knowledges, and as clearly an extention of the two, it would be silly to claim that paticcasamuppada is somehow extended over "three lives", or to claim that it is anything but a here-and-now teaching that can be seen, observed, and experienced in its entirety in the here-and-now. Sir.

It is merely an extrapolation of the knowledge that arises in insight meditation, which of course has nothing to do with past or future lives.

Two cents.

Paticcasamuppada
    can be seen in action at any time in the here-and-now, by anyone who understands it for what it is. We agree, of course, that insight meditation has absolutely nothing at all to do with "past or future lives".

edited August 2009
    Friend Stuka,

I was deeply impressed by your understanding. Possibly you could clarify a question I have.

I understand tradition can be like one blind man holding the hand of another blind man or one relay runner passing on a batton to another relay runner. I understand there is Ajahn so and so, and Sayadaw so and so, and Rinpoche so and so, and Lama so and so, and Master so and so, etc.

But surely these venerables have some understanding.

So my question to you is: "What gives these various sectarians the right they appear to regard themselves to hold so they can convolute the perfectly spoken words of the Tathagata?"

This is a question I hope you can clarify for me.

Kind regards

DDhatu

:o
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2009
    DD, stuka,

Not that I necessarily agree with you two 100% (I happen to think that dependent co-arising can work over many lifetimes as well as in the present moment), but H. W. Schumann offers an interesting theory about this in his book, The Historical Buddha, which I thought I'd contribute to the discussion. Even though he accepts that the Buddha taught rebirth, distinguishing five levels of existence in which one can be reborn, and that kamma takes effect not in but as the new being as per SN 12.37, he goes on to state (141-42):
    Practical requirements made it necessary to present this 'rebirth without a soul' in a readily grasped and memorized form. Accordingly, the principle of dependent origination (paticca-samuppada) discovered by the Buddha was converted into the formula of dependent origination. It is not probable that Gotama himself actually formulated this conditional nexus of twelve links: it is more probably the work of early monks. As material they used three separate short chains of conditionality which the Master had used in sermons, and joined them up, irrespective of the fact that the twelve-linked chain thus created comprises three separate existences in a series of rebirths, but uses different terms to describe each of these existences. Nevertheless, the early monks considered this formula as such an important recognition that in compiling the Pali Canon they attributed it to the Buddha.

To counter this particular kind of argument, though, it should be noted that even in the shorter chains, the other links can be said to be implicit. For example, Thanissaro Bhikkhu mentions that there are alternative patterns to the traditional twelve links such as where the Buddha starts out at sensory contact, but all the factors are there, e.g., in the one with ten factors, you have consciousness and name-and-form acting as causes and conditions for each other, however, fabrications and ignorance can be included under name.

Jason
  • edited August 2009
    Hello, Jason,
    Jason wrote: »
    DD, stuka,

Not that I necessarily agree with you two 100% (I happen to think that dependent co-arising can work over many lifetimes as well as in the present moment), but H. W. Schumann offers an interesting theory about this in his book, The Historical Buddha, which I thought I'd contribute to the discussion. Even though he accepts that the Buddha taught rebirth, distinguishing five levels of existence in which one can be reborn, and that kamma takes effect not in but as the new being as per SN 12.37, he goes on to state (141-42):

Has there been discussion on SN 12.37 in this thread? Could we kindly provide some context to this, please?
    Practical requirements made it necessary to present this 'rebirth without a soul' in a readily grasped and memorized form. Accordingly, the principle of dependent origination (paticca-samuppada) discovered by the Buddha was converted into the formula of dependent origination. It is not probable that Gotama himself actually formulated this conditional nexus of twelve links: it is more probably the work of early monks. As material they used three separate short chains of conditionality which the Master had used in sermons, and joined them up, irrespective of the fact that the twelve-linked chain thus created comprises three separate existences in a series of rebirths, but uses different terms to describe each of these existences. Nevertheless, the early monks considered this formula as such an important recognition that in compiling the Pali Canon they attributed it to the Buddha.

What "practical requirements" does Schumann claim here? This business of an "Atta that is not an Atta", in its many variations -- including "re-linking consciousness" -- flies in the face of the Buddha's explicit teaching, for example, in the Maha Tanhasankhaya Sutta, that the six (only) forms of consciousness arise according to their constituent causes and conditions. Postulating any form of consciousness that reaps the results of good and evil actions done here and there and continues after death is really just Sati-ism. Which isn't intrisically a Bad Thing, it's just not Buddhism, as the Buddha didn't teach it, and he rebuked Sati in the most humiliating of ways for claiming that He did.

Thanks for the cite. Corroborating evidence coming from one who disagrees with you is strong evidence indeed.
    To counter this particular kind of argument, though, it should be noted that even in the shorter chains, the other links can be said to be implicit. For example, Thanissaro Bhikkhu mentions that there are alternative patterns to the traditional twelve links such as where the Buddha starts out at sensory contact, but all the factors are there, e.g., in the one with ten factors, you have consciousness and name-and-form acting as causes and conditions for each other, however, fabrications and ignorance can be included under name.

Jason

Paticcasamuppada
    can be compacted and expanded in many ways. Careful attention will reveal such teachings as the Six Sextets and the Five Khandhas and, as noted above, the Arising and Passing Away of Beings in the World, for example, as intrinsic to this model. The Buddha pointed out that it contains everything, all of his teachings, in one way or another.

A very short and highly useful compacted form of paticcasamuppada would go like this:

Ignorance --> Person --> Suffering

Or even

Ignorance --> Suffering

Of it follows that:

Quenching of Ignorance --> Quenching of Suffering

or just

No Ignorance --> No Suffering

Paticcasamuppada doesn't get much simpler than that, folks.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

No Garbage In, No Garbage Out.

Easy.

It might be useful to to remember that when Ananda proclaimed the simplicity of paticcasamuppada, the Buddha did not refute him or tell him that is was not simple, He told Ananda "Do not put it that way", and pointed out that it was "deep", and difficuilt to see, etc. This was true as well -- especially in the case of persons who were and still are to this day so deeply entrenched in their own speculative worldviews that they cannot let go of them and see paticcasamuppada for what it is. This includes proponents of the "three-lifetime" model -- which, again, the Buddha never, ever taught.
  • edited August 2009
    Friend Stuka,

I was deeply impressed by your understanding. Possibly you could clarify a question I have.

I understand tradition can be like one blind man holding the hand of another blind man or one relay runner passing on a batton to another relay runner. I understand there is Ajahn so and so, and Sayadaw so and so, and Rinpoche so and so, and Lama so and so, and Master so and so, etc.

But surely these venerables have some understanding.

So my question to you is: "What gives these various sectarians the right they appear to regard themselves to hold so they can convolute the perfectly spoken words of the Tathagata?"

This is a question I hope you can clarify for me.

Kind regards

DDhatu

:o

It happened even in the Buddha's own time, with some of his own monks, Friend DDhatu. It would be interesting to see what the Buddha would say if here could be here now, and see what kind of things are being put in His mouth.
    edited August 2009
    Jason

Regardless of the number of conditions, it is always the same.

When the Buddha began with sense contact, one is still practising mindfulness & clear comprehension at sense contact to stop ignorance manifesting.

Whether ignorance is mentioned or not (such as it is not mentioned in the Noble Truths), these dhammas are one and the same.

Longest version is dependent origination. Middle version is the noble truths. Shortest version is in MN 22:
    "In the past & now, I teach only two things, namely, suffering & freedom from suffering".
    No need to complicate & convolute it. Just embrace impermanence & free the mind of 'self-view' and that's it!

edited August 2009
    stuka,
    stuka wrote: »
    Has there been discussion on SN 12.37 in this thread? Could we kindly provide some context to this, please?

I thought the context was self-explanatory, but I apologize if I wasn't clear. What I said was said in reference to Schumann's understanding of rebirth that he presents in The Historical Buddha before critiquing the "three-lifetime" model of rebirth, not in reference to anything in this particular discussion. (If you want, I can type out the relevant passages when I have the time.)
    What "practical requirements" does Schumann claim here? This business of an "Atta that is not an Atta", in its many variations -- including "re-linking consciousness" -- flies in the face of the Buddha's explicit teaching, for example, in the Maha Tanhasankhaya Sutta, that the six (only) forms of consciousness arise according to their constituent causes and conditions. Postulating any form of consciousness that reaps the results of good and evil actions done here and there and continues after death is really just Sati-ism. Which isn't intrisically a Bad Thing, it's just not Buddhism, as the Buddha didn't teach it, and he rebuked Sati in the most humiliating of ways for claiming that He did.

Thanks for the cite. Corroborating evidence coming from one who disagrees with you is strong evidence indeed.

While I don't really want to enter into a debate about the validity of rebirth, it seems to me that the Buddha rebukes Sati in MN 38 for his idea that "it is this same consciousness that runs and wanders through the round of rebirths, not another" — i.e., explaining that consciousness arises in dependence on certain causes and condition — but not the idea of rebirth in general. Furthermore, in SN 44.9, the Buddha uses a simile in which, it can be argued, he compares the sustenance of a flame to that of a being at the time of death to illustrate how craving plays a vital role in the renewal of beings and the production of future births.

In addition, I don't think that the views of the Buddha and the ancient commentators such as Buddhaghosa are necessarily mutually exclusive. It is true, for example, that the Pali term "patisandhi-citta" (re-linking consciousness) is only found in the commentarial literature; but one can just as easily argue that such a "re-linking" consciousness is implied in places like SN 44.9, where the Buddha states that, "... when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time."

Of course, one can just as easily re-interpret such statements, or to be more precise, translations, in such a way as to support a single-life presentation of dependent co-arising and non-postmortem rebirth (i.e., keeping solely within the framework of what I'd call psychological processes), which I have no problem with personally. That is why I prefer to leave it up to the individual to decide what interpretation or model they find more useful in their approach to the study and practice of the Dhamma.

Jason
    edited August 2009
    No need to complicate & convolute it. Just embrace impermanence & free the mind of 'self-view' and that's it!

I'm working on it. :D
  • edited August 2009
    stuka,

I thought the context was self-explanatory, but I apologize if I wasn't clear. What I said was said in reference to Schumann's understanding of rebirth that he presents in The Historical Buddha before critiquing the "three-lifetime" model of rebirth, not in reference to anything in this particular discussion. (If you want, I can type out the relevant passages when I have the time.)

You know that the SN has several numbering systems, under some of which the same "chapter/verse" citation can point to different suttas, right...?

Easier to copy/paste from the Tipitaka Index at metta.lk than to type it out by hand.

While I don't really want to enter into a debate about the validity of rebirth, it seems to me that the Buddha rebukes Sati in MN 38 for his idea that "it is this same consciousness that runs and wanders through the round of rebirths, not another" — i.e., explaining that consciousness arises in dependence on certain causes and condition — but not the idea of rebirth in general.
    I do not disagree. But the Buddha makes it clear that "consciousness" - vinnana - according to his teachings comes in only six forms, according to the Six Sextets. There is no alaya consciousness, and there is no "re-linking consciousness", in the Buddha's teachings. These were later inventions.
    Furthermore, in SN 44.9, the Buddha uses a simile in which, it can be argued, he compares the sustenance of a flame to that of a being at the time of death to illustrate how craving plays a vital role in the renewal of beings and the production of future births.
    You notice that in SN 44.9 he is speaking with Vacchagotta, a Brahmin, and Vacchagotta is asking him questions that carry underlying assumptions based upon the Brahmin world view. The Buddha answered such questions using the terms and assumptions that his interlocutors understood.
    In addition, I don't think that the views of the Buddha and the ancient commentators such as Buddhaghosa are necessarily mutually exclusive. It is true, for example, that the Pali term "patisandhi-citta" (re-linking consciousness) is only found in the commentarial literature; but one can just as easily argue that such a "re-linking" consciousness is implied in places like SN 44.9, where the Buddha states that, "... when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time."
    See my above comment -- Vacchagotta is asking Brahmin questions and getting answers tailored to his understanding of the world. One could argue as you say, but one would have to square that argument with the Buddha's adamant assertion of only six forms of consciousness, which arise only when the eye sees a visual form, the ear hears a sound, etc. The idea of a "re-linking" consciousness is a reified entity the sort of which the Buddha rejected in his own teachings, and which does not fall within the confines of the Buddha's six forms of consciousness.

Of course, one can just as easily re-interpret such statements, or to be more precise, translations, in such a way as to support a single-life presentation of dependent co-arising and non-postmortem rebirth (i.e., keeping solely within the framework of what I'd call psychological processes), which I have no problem with personally. That is why I prefer to leave it up to the individual to decide what interpretation or model they find more useful in their approach to the study and practice of the Dhamma.

Jason
    Fine with me, too. And paticcasamuppada is a psychological process, to be sure, however, it is much more than that as well. Psychology doesn't include a moral/ethical code, any sort of what we Buddhists would call Wisdom, a notion of not-self, or one of "emptiness": that nothing is "I" or "mine", a mandate to eliminate greed, anger, and selfishness in all their manifestations, or an intrinsic meditative and contemplative practice. The problem with that label when applied to paticcasamuppada in the here-and-now is that it usually is preceded with the word "just", as if it were being reduced to "just" a psychology. Many times it's also called "just a pop (or "New Age") psychology. Such characterizations are perjorative straw men, and betray a prejudicial refusal to acknowledge that the factors I listed above are included in paticcasamuppada in the here-and-now.

But, that being said, I don't gather that you are calling it "psychological" in such a perjorative way, it seems to me that you are calling it psychological in more-or-less the same way I do. :cool:
    edited August 2009
    stuka,
    You know that the SN has several numbering systems, under some of which the same "chapter/verse" citation can point to different suttas, right...?

Easier to copy/paste from the Tipitaka Index at metta.lk than to type it out by hand.

Yes, I'm familiar with the various numbering schemes, and I don't mind typing sutta passages by hand as I generally find them to be of better quality than metta.lk, but I was referring to the relevant passages in Schumann's book, The Historical Buddha.
    Fine with me, too. And paticcasamuppada is a psychological process, to be sure, however, it is much more than that as well. Psychology doesn't include a moral/ethical code, any sort of what we Buddhists would call Wisdom, a notion of not-self, or one of "emptiness": that nothing is "I" or "mine", a mandate to eliminate greed, anger, and selfishness in all their manifestations, or an intrinsic meditative and contemplative practice. The problem with that label when applied to paticcasamuppada in the here-and-now is that it usually is preceded with the word "just", as if it were being reduced to "just" a psychology. Many times it's also called "just a pop (or "New Age") psychology. Such characterizations are perjorative straw men, and betray a prejudicial refusal to acknowledge that the factors I listed above are included in paticcasamuppada in the here-and-now.

But, that being said, I don't gather that you are calling it "psychological" in such a perjorative way, it seems to me that you are calling it psychological in more-or-less the same way I do. :cool:

No, I'm not using "psychological" pejoratively, and I'm fairly certain that we're using it in the same way.

Jason
    edited August 2009
    You notice that in SN 44.9 he is speaking with Vacchagotta, a Brahmin, and Vacchagotta is asking him questions that carry underlying assumptions based upon the Brahmin world view. The Buddha answered such questions using the terms and assumptions that his interlocutors understood.
    Friend Stuka

I must concur with your viewpoint. The very nature of this sutta, where Vacchagotta does most of the talking, shows the Buddha is responding in a way to accommodate the pre-existing (non-Buddhist) views of Vacchagotta, yet refining the view so Vacchagotta understands samsaric activity continues on due to craving.

Here, we are at the mercy of translators. The word in this verse is "anupapanno", which is usually rendered "reappearance". It is distinct from the word "upapajjati", which is usually rendered "rebirth", it conformity to its literal rendering.

The word "upapajjati" is generally not found in the middling teachings, such as SN 44.9, and is usually found in the most mundane teachings, such as MN 135. (Of course, that the Buddha even spoke MN 135 is a subject of debate, given MN 135 does not appear in the equivalent Chinese cannon).

The word "kaya" is also useful to understand. It does not necessarily mean the physical body. The word generally used for the physical body is "rupa", such as in "rupa khanda" or "nama-rupa".

In the Anapanasati Sutta, the Buddha states the in breathing and the out breathing are certain bodies (kaya) amongst bodies (kaya). In brief, kaya are those experienced changing states of breath & body. For example, when the breathing is refined, smooth & long, the physical body is relaxed. When the breathing is short, coarse & agitated, the physical body is stressed and tense.

So the Buddha merely states to Vacchagotta that reappearance occurs due to craving; that a new kaya is formed due to craving.

I have no arguement here given the first sankhara in Dependent Origination is the kaya sankhara [in breathing & out breathing]. Due to the craving that has re-perpetuated ignorance, the kaya sankhara is concocted or conditioned again into an agitated kaya sankhara which then conditions consciousness, mind-body, sense organs, etc, and another round of dependent origination.

Indeed, the habits, modes of behaviour and mental proliferations of human beings reappear due to craving. Similarly, their breath body (kaya) and the resultant physical body (rupa) appear and reappear (in this life) in various ways due to craving.

1415n5v.jpg2dbul5f.jpg59ws2t.jpg16kz3oy.jpgjb1gdw.jpg34ovv2g.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    Yes, I'm familiar with the various numbering schemes, and I don't mind typing sutta passages by hand as I generally find them to be of better quality than metta.lk, but I was referring to the relevant passages in Schumann's book, The Historical Buddha.

OK, but citing just "SN 12.37" still doesn't mean anything. The whole sutta? Part of the sutta? A single phrase or word....? :skeptical

You said:
    Even though he accepts that the Buddha taught rebirth, distinguishing five levels of existence in which one can be reborn, and that kamma takes effect not in but as the new being as per SN 12.37
    -- which in effect asks all here to "accept" along with him (and, it might seem, with you as well) as understood without question or examination the notion "the Buddha 'taught rebirth'" (presumably in the abhidhammic/commentorial sense that tends to be popular today, and presumably with the connotation that such speculative views are inseparable from his transcendent teachings, as is claimed by many "No Rebirth, No Buddhist" hard-liners), with five levels of existence (I assume you are referring to "the realms" as if they were real) in which this rebirth might take place, and that "kamma takes effect not in but as the new being" -- and that something in this SN 12.37 somehow backs the latter claim up. :skeptical

I am not inclined to "accept", buy into, or concede such statements out-of-hand and without examination and discussion, though, and yes, I would like a clear cite and explanation as to what in SN 12.37 is supposed to support the claim that "kamma takes effect not in but as the new being", and how that claim relates to, or is supported by, the rest of the sutta, i.e., in the context of that sutta as a whole. I do have a copy of the CDB to hand, by the way. And of course access to metta.lk and accesstoinsight and a couple of other sources for cross-comparison, as well.

No, I'm not using "psychological" pejoratively, and I'm fairly certain that we're using it in the same way.

Jason

I thought that this was the case.

:uphand::cheer::om:
  • edited August 2009
    Funny that Nyanatiloka calls this work a "dictionary". It's not very objective or impartial at all, is it? Brings us back to DD's question, "What gives these various sectarians the right they appear to regard themselves to hold so they can convolute the perfectly spoken words of the Tathagata?".

Apparently Nyanatiloka is responsible for the mistranslation of "sankhara" as "kamma-formations"; he claims to have coined it on the page for that "definition".

I have to also wonder why so many learned monks teach the works of others who have convoluted the perfectly spoken words of the Tathagata, rather than the teachings of the Tathagata Himself?

The Buddha pointed out that his own teachings were transcendent, led to liberation, and were vastly superior to superstition- and speculative view-based moralities and teachings (Maha Cattarisaka Sutta, sammaditthi ariyo anasava lokuttara maggaiga vs. sammaditthi sasava punnabhagiya upadhi-vepakka). Yet for untold centuries it is the superstition- and speculative view-based moralities that have been taught, rather that the perfect, transcendent teachings of the Tathagata.

No wonder so many Buddhists are so confused.
    edited August 2009
    stuka,
    OK, but citing just "SN 12.37" still doesn't mean anything. The whole sutta? Part of the sutta? A single phrase or word....? :skeptical

You said:
    Even though he accepts that the Buddha taught rebirth, distinguishing five levels of existence in which one can be reborn, and that kamma takes effect not in but as the new being as per SN 12.37

Yes, and the point was that even though Schumann accepts the traditionally held view that the Buddha taught rebirth, distinguishing five levels of existence in which one can be reborn, and that kamma takes effect not in but as the new being as per SN 12.37 (as it is generally understood in Theravada), he goes on to say that he believes the twelve-linked chain of dependent co-arising, comprising three separate existences, was probably the work of early monks. I'm not asking you to "accept" anything besides the fact that this is what he says:
    Just how, in detail, rebirth takes places without a soul, is very precisely explained by the Buddha. It is not, as we have seen, the actual deeds (kamma) so much as the intentions that condition the next existence:
    'If, monks, an ignorant man (in the sense of the teachings) produces a good intention (sankhara), then his consciousness (vinnana) will incline to the good. If he produces a bad or neutral intention, then his consciousness will incline to the bad or the neutral.' (SN 12.51.12)

The intentions to act pass on their ethical quality to consciousness.

The consciousness that is thus qualitatively coloured is now the factor that establishes the conditional contact to the next form of existence: it brings about in a woman's womb the development of an embryo. i.e. a new being, without, however, transmigrating into this embryo. The technical term for this new being is nama-ruap, 'name and form', in which 'name' denotes the incorporeal, 'form' the physical component:
    'I have said: "Consciousness conditions name-and-form" (i.e. the new empirical person). That should be understood thus: If the consciousness (of one who has died) were not to descend into the mother's womb, would name-and-form (the new person) develop there?'

'No indeed, Lord,' (replied Ananda). (DN 15.21)

Of course, consciousness is not the only factor conditioning the development of a new being. For a child to come into being there must be, besides the consciousness in search of a womb - in the Canon sometimes called a 'genie' (gandhabba) - there must be a woman in her season, and a man as begetter. Only when thees three come together: mother, begetter and 'genie' (= consciousness), does new life come into exsitence (MN 38.28 Ip.265). The consciousness of the person who died works in the womb of the future mother as the spark that kindles life. It kindles the factors of the mother and the begetter into a flame (the child), but the spark is present in the flame that it conditions sin qua non. In the course of development the child evolves its own consciousness, which is not identical with the consciousness that originated it. When the monk Sati expressed the opinion that consciousness persisted through the chain of rebirth (i.e. as a kind of soul), the Buddha rebuked him sharply (MN 38.6; i, 258).

The process of 'rebirth without a soul' can be graphically displayed thus:

[Unable to reproduce to graph here]

This scheme explains not only the mechanics of rebirth, but also how kamma exercises its influence on the newly-born being. The consciousness that seeks a womb does not choose any womb, but one that corresponds to its own kammic quality. A kammically 'good' consciousness will set in motion the development of an embryo in a mother who guarantees to the child good hereditary qualities and good social circumstances. Kamma takes effect not in but as the new being. The body is 'action of the past, brought about by intention' (SN 12.37).

What you make of the above is up to you. As I said, I'm not interested in entering into a debate about the validity of rebirth (because, frankly, I don't really care).

Jason
  • edited August 2009
    Thank you, Jason.

What is clear here is that the process that [edit:Schumann speculates] above postulates a reified "consciousness" entity that clearly falls outside of the Buddha's six forms of consciousness:

The consciousness of the person who died works in the womb of the future mother as the spark that kindles life.

The "consciousness" the Buddha speaks of in SN 12.51.12 is clearly mind-consciousness. Mind-consciousness, you know, arises when the mental processes come into contact with an idea or a sensation from the other consciousnesses. This is not a reified entity as Schmann implies in the statement immediately after his quotation of SN 12.51.12.

He then massages the Buddha's words in DN 15.21 to suit his own reified "consciousness" entity and set up his further arguments to support a "soul that is not a soul". What Shumann and all others who use this passage to support the reification of vinnana as an entity conveniently leave out of their arguments is that in the very same breath the Buddha points out that "name-and-form conditions consciousness" -- he is saying that without one, there cannot be the other. There is no person in the absence of either, and they condition each other.

Thre is much controversy over the "gandhabba" business. There was not nearly as much understanding of the reproductive process 2500 years ago as there is now. What was not then understood then is now simple: the egg is fertilized and attaaches to the uterus. But in the discussion of the "gandhabba", Schumann has fully reified his vinnana entity and is now using it to function as a reincarnated "soul":
    The consciousness of the person who died works in the womb of the future mother as the spark that kindles life. A kammically 'good' consciousness will set in motion the development of an embryo in a mother who guarantees to the child good hereditary qualities and good social circumstances.

Then he goes on to claim that SN 12.37 supports the notion that "Kamma takes effect not in but as the new being", lifting the Buddha's statement "The body is 'action of the past, brought about by intention'" out of context and misrepresenting it as if it supported a reified consciousness. It does not. In SN 12.37 -- a very short Sutta -- the Buddha is pointing away from fascination with the body as "self", and toward his principle of paticcasauppada in the here-and-now, which takes up the vast majority of the Sutta. The Buddha is saying, in effect, "do not concern yourself with worldly things like the body, the body is irrelevant. Instead, turn your mind to contemplation of the process by which suffering is created through ignorance here and now. This only is where liberation from suffering can be found."

Although he admits that the conversion of paticcasamuppada from a here-and-now phemnomenological principle to a metaphysical formula was a later invention, he nonetheless buys into and argues for the reification of vinnana into an entity -- the Sati argument of MN 38 -- and declares it in the opening sentences of the passage above and in his arguments misusing the Suttas.

That's what I make of it, anyway. And I don't really care about the validity or non-validity of rebirth speculative views -- I find them irrelevant to the Buddha's teachings. It's just that others -- I'm not saying you, mind you -- don't, and would force those views on everyone else. They know who they are ;-)
    edited August 2009
    SN 12.37
    Jason

In my opinion, you are making too much of this one small sutta. The suttas advise in countless places, as quoted above, dependent origination arises and ceases at sense contract, here & now, just as Nibbana is experienced here & now.

SN 12.37 is quite vague. All it states is this body is not yours or does not belong to others. It is old kamma, generated by volition.

If these words are translated correctly, indeed it is. This body is not mine or not others. It is merely natural elements. It was generated by the volition of my parents, through their sexual activity.

You and Schumann are making something out of nothing, implying something that is not there.

But when the Buddha described dependent origination arises and ceases at sense contract, this is something that is actuality, to be experienced.

edited August 2009
    'If, monks, an ignorant man (in the sense of the teachings) produces a good intention (sankhara), then his consciousness (vinnana) will incline to the good. If he produces a bad or neutral intention, then his consciousness will incline to the bad or the neutral.' (SN 12.51.12)
    Sankhara does not mean 'intention'.

The above sutta, SN 12.25 I assume, is merely one sutta that talks in this way. The teaching taught here arises in the context it was given, namely, a discussion about other sectarians about the nature of pain and happiness in general.

However, it appears the pain and happiness discussed here is not vedana per se but the general notion of end process happiness and suffering. Because the sutta starts with the views of other sectarians regarding "are pleasure and pain created by oneself".

The suttas describe sankhara in dependent origination as the kaya, vaca & citta sankharas, namely, the in and out breathing, vitakka & vicara and perception and feeling.

You appear to be grasping at various suttas that do not apply to the basics of dependent origination.

edited August 2009
    DD,
    In my opinion, you are making too much of this one small sutta.

You and Schumann are making something out of nothing, implying something that is not there.

Once again, I've said nothing regarding SN 12.37 myself, and I find the repeated suggestions otherwise by both stuka and yourself offensive.

If you'd bother to take the time and actually read what I've written, you'd see that I've merely presented what Schumann wrote in his book, The Historical Buddha; nothing more, nothing less. In fact, I challenge you to find a single instance in this entire discussion where I've offered my own thoughts on SN 12.37.

As I told stuka, what you make of what he wrote is up to you; and furthermore, I won't bother to continue in a discussion where my word are consistently being misrepresented.

Jason
  • edited August 2009

Sankhara does not mean 'intention'.

The above sutta, SN 12.25 I assume, is merely one sutta that talks in this way. The teaching taught here arises in the context it was given, namely, a discussion about other sectarians about the nature of pain and happiness in general.

However, it appears the pain and happiness discussed here is not vedana per se but the general notion of end process happiness and suffering. Because the sutta starts with the views of other sectarians regarding "are pleasure and pain created by oneself".

The suttas describe sankhara in dependent origination as the kaya, vaca & citta sankharas, namely, the in and out breathing, vitakka & vicara and perception and feeling.

You appear to be grasping at various suttas that do not apply to the basics of dependent origination.

The buddha is clearly describing a here-and-now mental process in the quote above. Sankhara and vinnana are both mental processes that arise in the present moment. The Buddha is clearly not referring to some "consciousness-entity", or, as Schumann claims, some "next existence" or "next life". This is not a "rebirth" teaching at all.
  • edited August 2009
    Jason,

My post # 26 is commentary on Schumann's position only. Looking back at it, it seems I was not clear on that point. I will edit it using his name to clear that up. My apologies.
    edited August 2009
    I find the repeated suggestions otherwise by both stuka and yourself offensive.
    Jason

By taking offense, your practise here is not in accord to Dependent Origination.

It is best we focus on practise rather than theory. The Buddha advised us as follows friend. It is best we do not grasp the snake incorrectly:

On seeing a form with the eye, he is not passionate for it if it is pleasing; he is not angry at it if it is displeasing. He lives with attention to body established, with an immeasurable mind and he understands realistically the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Having abandoned favouring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels - whether pleasant or painful or neither-pleasant-nor-painful - he does not delight in that feeling, welcome it, or remain holding to it. As he does not do so, delight in feelings ceases in him. From the cessation of his delight comes cessation of clinging; from the cessation of clinging, the cessation of becoming; from the cessation of becoming, the cessation of birth; from the cessation of birth, ageing-&-death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair cease. Thus is the cessation of this entire mass of suffering.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    Mahàtanhàsankhaya Sutta

"Rahula, develop the meditation in tune with earth. For when you are developing the meditation in tune with earth, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind. Just as when people throw what is clean or unclean on the earth — feces, urine, saliva, pus, or blood — the earth is not horrified, humiliated or disgusted by it; in the same way, when you are developing the meditation in tune with earth, agreeable & disagreeable sensory impressions that have arisen will not stay in charge of your mind.

MN 62
    Your taking of offense friends show there is an urgency for your mind to penetrate the reality of Dependent Origination.
    "And how do students engage with the teacher friends and not as opponents? There is the case where a teacher teaches the Dhamma to his students sympathetically, seeking their well-being, out of sympathy: 'This is for your well-being; this is for your happiness.' His disciples listen, lend ear, & apply their minds to gnosis. Not turning aside, they don't stray from the Teacher's message. This is how students engage with the teacher as friends and not as opponents.

"Therefore, Ananda, engage with me friends and not as opponents. That will be for your long-term well-being & happiness.

"I won't hover over you like a potter over damp, unbaked clay goods. Exhorting again & again, I will speak. Urging you on again & again, I will speak. Whatever is of essential worth will remain."

MN 122

edited August 2009
    SN 12.3(3) [CDB 536] The Two Ways (Bodhi trans, my emphasis)

At Savatthi. "Bhikkhus, I will teach you the wrong way and the right way. Listen to that and attend closely, i will speak."
    "Yes, Venerable Sir" those bhikkhus replied. The Blessed One said this:

And what, bhikkhus, is the worng way? With ignorance as a condition, volitional formations [come to be]; with volitional formations as a condition, consciousness...Such is the origin of this whole mass of sufferintg. This, bhikkhus, is called the wrong way.

And what, bhikkhus, is the right way? With the remainderless fading away and cdessation of ignorance comes cessation of volitional formations; with the cessation of volitional formatinos, cessation of consciousness...Such is the cessation of this whole masso of suffering. This, bhikkhus, is called the right way."

In the Pali, the word "way" comes from "patipada", which means "the Path" or "way of walking".

For example, the Fourth Noble Truth in Pali is the Dukkha Nirodha Gamani Patipada.

Thus, when the Buddha uses the words "the right way" in the quote above, he is referring to the Eightfold Path or Magga.

The right way is as instructed to Bahiya: "In the seen, there is merely the seen; in the heard, there is merely the heard...etc. Just this, is the end of suffering".

• edited August 2009
    In fact, I challenge you to find a single instance in this entire discussion where I've offered my own thoughts on SN 12.37.

Jason,

When you say "he accepts that....", there is an underlying semantic implication or connotation of an assumption of mutually-agreed-upon truth of what is being 'accepted":
    ...he accepts that the Buddha taught rebirth, distinguishing five levels of existence in which one can be reborn, and that kamma takes effect not in but as the new being as per SN 12.37.....

It is different from if you were to say "he believes that..., and he supports his argument with this line in SN12.37".

Whether you intend it or not, it gives the appearance that you believe the same things, and it also gives the appearance that you assume that everyone else also believes or accepts the same things.

Think of the difference between:

"He accepts that white guys can't dance."

"He believes that white guys can't dance."

See where this can cause confusion or misunderstanding?

Because of this, when you say:
    ...he accepts that the Buddha taught rebirth, distinguishing five levels of existence in which one can be reborn, and that kamma takes effect not in but as the new being as per SN 12.37.....

..it gives the appearance that you also accept the truth of what Schumann says, and assume that others here do too.

Perhaps even "...he accepts the traditional stance that the Buddha taught rebirth, distinguishing five levels of existence in which one can be reborn, and that kamma takes effect not in but as the new being as per SN 12.37....." might have been clearer.
    edited August 2009
    stuka,
    See where this can cause confusion or misunderstanding?

Yes, I can see where it can cause some confusion or misunderstandings; however, I've already explained what I meant more than once, especially post #25, so there really shouldn't be any more confusion.

I appreciate your attempts to clarify the issue, but I have no desire to participate in this discussion any further.

Jason
    edited August 2009
    ...but I have no desire to participate in this discussion any further.
    Jason

Buddha taught in MN 115 a practitioner is skilled in the elements, skilled in the sense bases and skilled in dependent origination.

This skill is possessing mindfulness & wisdom at sense contact.

This is the right way and the right understanding of dependent origination.

Dependent origination is medicine to remedy suffering.

:buck:
    edited August 2009
    Element, I fully agree with the conceptual framework you're promulgating, and I think your efforts at education would be greatly enhanced if you abandoned the imperative to have the last word.
  • edited August 2009
    Funny that Nyanatiloka calls this work a "dictionary". It's not very objective or impartial at all, is it? Brings us back to DD's question, "What gives these various sectarians the right they appear to regard themselves to hold so they can convolute the perfectly spoken words of the Tathagata?".

Apparently Nyanatiloka is responsible for the mistranslation of "sankhara" as "kamma-formations"; he claims to have coined it on the page for that "definition".

I have to also wonder why so many learned monks teach the works of others who have convoluted the perfectly spoken words of the Tathagata, rather than the teachings of the Tathagata Himself?

The Buddha pointed out that his own teachings were transcendent, led to liberation, and were vastly superior to superstition- and speculative view-based moralities and teachings (Maha Cattarisaka Sutta, sammaditthi ariyo anasava lokuttara maggaiga vs. sammaditthi sasava punnabhagiya upadhi-vepakka). Yet for untold centuries it is the superstition- and speculative view-based moralities that have been taught, rather that the perfect, transcendent teachings of the Tathagata.

No wonder so many Buddhists are so confused.

I was just looking up the Pali word puthujjana, which means "worldling", and I was pointed to Nyanatiloka's definition in his so-called "dictionary". Again I am struck by Dhamma Dhatu's question: "What gives these various sectarians the right they appear to regard themselves to hold so they can convolute the perfectly spoken words of the Tathagata?"

Observe:
    • puthujjana
    lit.: 'one of the many folk', 'worldling', ordinary man, is any layman or monk who is still possessed of all the 10 fetters (samyojana, q.v.) binding to the round of rebirths, and therefore has not yet reached any of the 4 stages of holiness (s. ariya-puggala).

"Whoso is neither freed from the 3 fetters (personality-belief, sceptical doubt, attachment to mere rule and ritual), nor is on the way to lose these 3 things, such a one is called a worlding" (Pug. 9).

See anything amiss here?

Nyanatiloka claims that one is a puthujjana right up until one becomes a sotapanna.

What the Buddha says is that one is a puthujjana who is neither 1) a sotapanna or higher (by virtue of ridding oneself of the first three fetters), nor one who is "on the way to ridding oneself of the first three fetters, ".

'Course, I have a good idea why Nyanatiloka is hedging his bet with this gross eisegesis of the perfectly spoken words of the Tathagata. It goes hand-in-hand with the claim we sometimes see being pandered that "Noble Right View that is stainless/without effluents (anasava), transcendent, a Factor of the Path" only applies to sotapannas or higher.

No wonder there are so many Buddhists who are so confused.....
  • edited August 2009
    Saddhu Venerable Yuttadhammo

Welcome and well spoken. "Two cents" is an apt summation given by yourself.
    :) Hey, you get what you pay for... sorry I didn't reply sooner...
    The matter is a huge deal. It is so gravely & urgently pressing & essential.
    It certainly must be, but I still can't figure out why...
    Either one develops a "right view" with asava and connected to becoming & merit or one develops a right view as a factor of the path, supramundane, leading to liberation. (see MN 117)
    Yes, a good quote. But then, you should really find a quote that says, "right view = belief in only this life"
    The suttas state dependent origination arises "when the eye sees the form" and it quenches when "the eye sees the form, the ear hears the sound...etc" (see MN 38).
    Some suttas do... Before I start, here's a quote for you:
    "How amazing! Never before has it occurred to me, Lord. This principle of Dependent Origination, although so profound and hard to see, yet appears to me to be so simple!"
    "Say not so, Ananda, say not so. This principle of Dependent Origination is a profound teaching, hard to see. It is through not knowing, not understanding and not thoroughly realizing this teaching that beings are confused like a tangled thread, thrown together like bundles of threads, caught as in a net, and cannot escape hell, the nether worlds and the wheel of samsara." [S.II.92]
    Please, don't think that I consider myself adequate to explain dependent origination; but, please, don't consider yourself adequate either.

Here's another quote:

"Udayi, whosoever can recall the khandhas he has previously occupied in great number, of such a person would it be fitting to question me about past lives, or I could so question him; that person could satisfy me with an answer thereof, or I him. Whosoever sees the passing away of beings and their subsequent arisings, of such a person would it be fitting to ask me about future lives, or I could so question him; that person could satisfy me with an answer thereof, and I him." [M.II.31]

Most are not fit to so discuss.
    I would suggest you support your reasoning with actual quotes from suttas on the subject of dependent origination rather than the three knowledges, which was something often taught to Brahmins during debates.

I'm sorry you can't see the logic of my argument... the Buddha's teaching did not start and end with dependent origination... do I have to bring up the simile of the blind men and the elephant?
      <dd>O how they cling and wrangle, some who claim </dd><dd>For preacher and monk the honored name! </dd><dd>For, quarreling, each to his view they cling. </dd><dd>Such folk see only one side of a thing.</dd>
    Thank you for the suggestion... I would suggest you loosen up a little; rigid definitions of the Buddha's teaching can get you into arguments.
    The three knowledges is a different teaching. Further, the supramundane meaning of "past dwellings" ("past lives") is explained in SN 22.79.
    Yes, but do you really think that is what the Buddha meant when he talked about remembering his name, family, etc. in "past dwellings" during the first watch of the night? (MN. 4)
    Dependent origination states after aging & death comes sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief & despair and the whole mass of suffering.

Now how can something "dead" experience sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief & despair and the whole mass of suffering?
    That is a pretty literalistic interpretation; you should know that in Pali word order does not necessarily indicate chronological order...

Aging and death is merely any form of impermanence. Birth is merely one's complete self-image or self-concept; all of the things born of identification with and mental aquisition of the five aggregates.
    Are you seriously saying that aging and death cannot possibly mean:

"And what is aging and death, what is the origin of aging and death, what is the cessation of aging and death, what is the way leading to the cessation of aging and death? The aging of beings in the various orders of beings, their old age, brokenness of teeth, grayness of hair, wrinkling of skin, decline of life, weakness of faculties — this is called aging. The passing of beings out of the various orders of beings, their passing away, dissolution, disappearance, dying, completion of time, dissolution of the aggregates, laying down of the body — this is called death. So this aging and this death are what is called aging and death. With the arising of birth there is the arising of aging and death. With the cessation of birth there is the cessation of aging and death. The way leading to the cessation of aging and death is just this Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view... right concentration.

23. "When a noble disciple has thus understood aging and death, the origin of aging and death, the cessation of aging and death, and the way leading to the cessation of aging and death... he here and now makes an end of suffering. In that way too a noble disciple is one of right view... and has arrived at this true Dhamma." (MN 9)

Again, I advise against such narrow interpretations of buddhadhamma as you seem to hold fast to.
    Buddha advised dependent origination is something to be seen by the wise person (paccattam veditabbo vinnuhi). The "seeing" is via discernment or vipassana rather than via divine eye (MN 38).

I would suggest one study Wikipedia regarding the meaning of jati in India. This meaning is also held in Buddhism.
    yes, and look up karma, dharma, brahma.na, khattiya, ariya, buddha, naama and ruupa while you're at it :) You'll need a quote that says: "jaati refers only to the arising and ceasing of impersonal phenomenon in Buddhism, never to the arising of a being."
    With dhamma

DDhatu

I guess so.
  • edited August 2009
    "....what seems to suggest....." you say, Venerable? Supported by the single word avijjapaccaya (which means "ignorance conditions..., "conditions being a verb)...? What exactly in "avijjapaccaya..." is supposed to "seem to suggest going further to past lives"?

Text without context, Venerable, is pretext.
    I'll have to take the bait, I suppose... I think my text was very much in context... I was contrasting two well-known versions of dependent origination; I could quote them out in full, but then it would cost you more than two cents ;)

The "whole mass of suffering", yes. Respectfully, you have added the word "rebirth" without any support, Sir. Jati means "birth", with all of the same connotations as in English, including those of the "birth" of an idea, of a nation, and, as the Buddha used it in his teaching of paticcasamuppada, of self-view.
    I see. Do you have a quote for that? Something like "Buddha said: 'in paticcasamuppada, jaati refers only to birth of self-view, and not to the rebirth of a being"?
    How so? Are you conceding here that the Buddha taught paticcasamuppada in the here-and-now, then?
    Very much so... and in terms of three lives. I tend to hold a more open-minded view of Buddhism than some in this thread, I guess...
    It would do good to examine what each of these knowledges really were. As DD has pointed out above regarding the First Knowledge, [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]pubbenivasa[/FONT] means "previous dwellings", not "past lives". Further, the Buddha explained this knowledge very clearly in SN 22.79:
    Again, part of the elephant. Here's my counter-quote, from the same body of texts:

"evaṃ bhāvitesu kho, bhikkhu, catūsu iddhipādesu evaṃ bahulīkatesu, anekavihitaṃ pubbenivāsaṃ anussarati, seyyathidaṃ ekampi jātiṃ dvepi jātiyo tissopi jātiyo catassopi jātiyo pañcapi jātiyo dasapi jātiyo vīsampi jātiyo tiṃsampi jātiyo cattālīsampi jātiyo paññāsampi jātiyo jātisatampi jātisahassampi jātisatasahassampi anekepi saṃvaṭṭakappe anekepi vivaṭṭakappe anekepi saṃvaṭṭavivaṭṭakappe `amutrāsiṃ evaṃnāmo evaṃgotto evaṃvaṇṇo evamāhāro evaṃsukhadukkhappaṭisaṃvedī evamāyupariyanto, so tato cuto amutra udapādiṃ; tatrāpāsiṃ evaṃnāmo evaṃgotto evaṃvaṇṇo evamāhāro evaṃsukhadukkhappaṭisaṃvedī evamāyupariyanto, so tato cuto idhūpapanno'ti. iti sākāraṃ sauddesaṃ anekavihitaṃ pubbenivāsaṃ anussarati. (SN 5.7.2.1 pubbasutta)

I hope you'll excuse the Pali, it is a long passage. The important part is:

amutrāsiṃ evaṃnāmo evaṃgotto evaṃvaṇṇo evamāhāro evaṃsukhadukkhappaṭisaṃvedī evamāyupariyanto, so tato cuto amutra udapādiṃ

Off-the-cuff translation:

"In that [birth=jaati], I was thus named, I had such a clan, I had such a caste, I had such food, I had the experience of such happiness and suffering, I had such an ending of life. From that [birth] departing, I arose there."
    This clearly puts the Buddha's teaching of the "Knowledge of [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]Pubbenivasa" [/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]squarely and completely in the [/FONT]realm of lokuttaradhamma, that is, dhamma aimed at the quenching of suffering; rather than speculative views of cosmology or metaphysics.
    And clearly puts you at variance with the passage I quoted above. The fact that we have lived before conception was clearly something the Buddha was aware of, and something he made known. Contrary to what you are proposing, He was not always teaching "squarly and completely" about lokuttaradhamma, just giving what it took to get people closer thereto.
    The Second Knowledge is that of the "[SIZE=+1]origin of repeated birth and passing away of beings in the world[/SIZE]". The Buddha clarifies this in the Loka Sutta, SN ii 12 44(4):

Again, this puts this knowledge squarely within the realm of what we can know and see in the here-and-now, in the realm of the Buddha's lokuttaradhamma.
    And again, I could give a counter-quote... are we going to have to do this all day? I've got meditation to do, etc. Your quote could just as easily be supporting my argument as yours, and I've got a counter-quote to back my position up... you'd need something like, "and everything I've just said only refers to the eye-consciousness (etc.) in this life, not the relinking consciousness which would of course lead to becoming and birth in a conventional sense, which I do not teach." Such a quote is not as yet forthcoming.
    Following as it does after these two lokuttara knowledges, and as clearly an extention of the two, it would be silly to claim that paticcasamuppada is somehow extended over "three lives", or to claim that it is anything but a here-and-now teaching that can be seen, observed, and experienced in its entirety in the here-and-now. Sir.
    First of all, you're using the word lokuttara to describe things that are very much lokiya... there are only nine lokuttara dhammas, and knowledge of the arising of suffering is not one of them.

As to the idea that it would be silly "to claim that paticcasamuppada is somehow extended over "three lives"", well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think it is hardly silly to explain to people why they are born the way they are, and that the ramifications of their actions do not end at the death of their body. You make the Buddha sound like a computer or something...
    Paticcasamuppada can be seen in action at any time in the here-and-now, by anyone who understands it for what it is. We agree, of course, that insight meditation has absolutely nothing at all to do with "past or future lives".
    Yes, we do. And that is what I would consider really important, not whether or not you can manage to hack off the stuff about past and future lives... I think that stuff really helps motivate people.
    edited August 2009
    Some suttas do... Before I start, here's a quote for you:
    "How amazing! Never before has it occurred to me, Lord. This principle of Dependent Origination, although so profound and hard to see, yet appears to me to be so simple!"
    "Say not so, Ananda, say not so. This principle of Dependent Origination is a profound teaching, hard to see. It is through not knowing, not understanding and not thoroughly realizing this teaching that beings are confused like a tangled thread, thrown together like bundles of threads, caught as in a net, and cannot escape hell, the nether worlds and the wheel of samsara." [S.II.92]
    Welcome back Venerable Yuttadhammo

Please note this forum is for 'advanced ideas'. I think it would be of assistance if you helped investigate the current realities of suffering that afflict human beings.

Hell and samsara are states of mind. Samsara is the mind "circling around the five aggregates". If this cannot perceived and controlled in this life, how will a speculative 'next life' help us or result in our spiritual progress towards real peace?
    Please, don't think that I consider myself adequate to explain dependent origination; but, please, don't consider yourself adequate either.
    Venerable. I kindly suggest you make comments regarding yourself only rather than engage in inference about another. If like Buddhaghosa, you wish to declare yourself a puttujhana, you are free to make such a declaration.

However, as for myself, I make no declaration either way as I try to adhere to the discussion rather than concoct personality views.

Please note, often minds in a heavenly realm do not have the opportunity as a mind in a hell realm to discern dependent origination.
    Here's another quote:

"Udayi, whosoever can recall the khandhas he has previously occupied in great number, of such a person would it be fitting to question me about past lives, or I could so question him; that person could satisfy me with an answer thereof, or I him. Whosoever sees the passing away of beings and their subsequent arisings, of such a person would it be fitting to ask me about future lives, or I could so question him; that person could satisfy me with an answer thereof, and I him."

Venerable. The impression gained is you are debating between mundane and supramundane language. As I have mentioned, this particular forum is for advanced ideas.
    I would suggest you loosen up a little; rigid definitions of the Buddha's teaching can get you into arguments.
    I would suggest adherence to the topic. The Buddha recommended Dhamma discussion often. Arguement and discussion are not necessarily the same thing.
    Yes, but do you really think that is what the Buddha meant when he talked about remembering his name, family, etc. in "past dwellings" during the first watch of the night?
    MN 4 is spoken to Brahmins. My opinion is you are stuck in language again. We can quote the suttas in various ways for refutation. One way is "past dwellings" means each time the mind clings to the five aggregates, such as in SN 22.79. Another way is the Susima Sutta, where it is held the 2nd knowledge from the 2nd watch is not required for liberation.
    That is a pretty literalistic interpretation; you should know that in Pali word order does not necessarily indicate chronological order...
    Blind faith is not sanditikko, akaliko, ehipasiko, oppanyiko, paccatum veditabbo vinnuhi.

I consider your point regarding chronological order and birth, aging, illness, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair does not warrant a reply.

It is like saying each morning, the Theravadin Bhikkhus such as yourself are chanting in the wrong order.
    Te (WOMEN: Ta ) mayam,
    Otinnamha jatiya jara-maranena,
    Sokehi paridevehi dukkhehi domanassehi upāyāsehi,
    Dukkh'otinna dukkha-pareta,

All of us, beset by birth, aging, & death, by sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs, beset by stress, overcome with stress, (consider),

"Appeva nam'imassa kevalassa dukkhakkhandhassa antakiriya pannayethati!"
    "O, that the end of this entire mass of suffering & stress might be known!"

Are you seriously saying that aging and death cannot possibly mean:
    How can a corpse experience sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair and the whole mass of suffering? I must reply, are you serious?

Buddha said from birth comes aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair and the whole mass of dukkha.

When the mind is 'born' into a state of ego identification by taking up the aggregates as "I" and "mine" then inevitably there will be aging & death and the resultant and associated sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, despair and the whole mass of suffering.

Please note or consider, the Pali word 'nirodha' does not mean 'cessation'. It means 'quenching & liberation'.

Thus what is the path to the liberation (nirodha) from aging & death? It is the Noble Eightfold Path. This I regard as an 'advanced idea'.

...the householder Nakulapita went to the Blessed One and on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One, "Lord, I am a feeble old man, aged, advanced in years, having come to the last stage of life. I am afflicted in body & ailing with every moment. And it is only rarely that I get to see the Blessed One & the monks who nourish the heart. May the Blessed One teach me, may the Blessed One instruct me, for my long-term benefit & happiness."

"So it is, householder. So it is. The body is afflicted, weak, & encumbered. For who, looking after this body, would claim even a moment of true health, except through sheer foolishness? So you should train yourself: 'Even though I may be afflicted in body, my mind will be unafflicted.' That is how you should train yourself."

Nakulapita Sutta
    "'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.' Thus was it said. With reference to what was it said? 'I am' is a construing. 'I am this' is a construing. 'I shall be' is a construing. 'I shall not be' is a construing. Construing is a disease, construing is a cancer, construing is an arrow. By going beyond all construing, he is said to be a sage at peace.

"Furthermore, a sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die, is unagitated, and is free from longing. He has nothing whereby he would be born. Not being born, will he age? Not aging, will he die? Not dying, will he be agitated? Not being agitated, for what will he long?

It was in reference to this that it was said, 'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.'

MN 140

edited August 2009
    It certainly must be, but I still can't figure out why...
    Lord Buddha advised in MN 28: "He who sees dependent origination see the Dhamma".

Buddha advised in MN 115: "A wise person, who avoids calamities, is skilled in the elements, sense bases and dependent origination".

I sincerely hope this helps.

edited August 2009

Yes, but do you really think that is what the Buddha meant when he talked about remembering his name, family, etc. in "past dwellings" during the first watch of the night? (MN. 4)
    V.Y.D

You appear to be asserting special power is required to penetrate dependent origination. Surely, this is not the case.

Certainly Buddha did not say this in MN 38, where D.O is regarded to be seen for each wise person for themself, here & now, independent of allegience to the teacher.

Similarly, in Susima Sutta:
    Ven. Susima heard that "A large number of monks, it seems, have declared final gnosis in the Blessed One's presence: 'We discern that "Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world."'" Then Ven. Susima went to those monks and, on arrival, exchanged courteous greetings with them. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he said to them, "Is it true, as they say, that you have declared final gnosis in the Blessed One's presence: 'We discern that "Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world"'?"

"Yes, friend."

"Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you recollect your manifold past lives (lit: previous homes), i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand births, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction & expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here'?"

"No, friend."

"So just now, friends, didn't you make that declaration without having attained any of these Dhammas?"

"We're released through discernment, friend Susima."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.070.than.html
    I would suggest your line of reasoning Venerable Sir does not have instrinsic benefit regarding approaching Nibbana.

Also, the 2nd Knowledge of the 2nd Watch is unrelated to D.O. If human beings do not penetrate what D.O really is, there is no release from suffering.

Right comprehension of D.O is so essential. It is heartwood of the Buddha-Dhamma.

Sharing it accurately is the utmost in compassion.

• edited August 2009
    I'll have to take the bait, I suppose...

The Buddha taught that we were to drop the world's bait, though there was no "bait" here to "take".
    I think my text was very much in context... I was contrasting two well-known versions of dependent origination; I could quote them out in full, but then it would cost you more than two cents ;)
    Nothing there to contrast. Both things you quoted are parts of the same teaching. The one quote referenced the mutual conditionality of namarupa and vinnana. There is nothing intrinsic to that relationship supporting a claim that "DO ends in this life", It's a non-sequitur. Nor does the statement "avjjapaccaya...", meaning "ignorance conditions...", support any claim that DO "suggests going further to past lives". It simply does not follow in either case.

I see. Do you have a quote for that? Something like "Buddha said: 'in paticcasamuppada, jaati refers only to birth of self-view, and not to the rebirth of a being"?
    There is a Pali word for brahministic "re-birth"/reincarnation. It's not "Jati".

The Buddha said:
    "And what is birth? Whatever birth, taking birth, descent, coming-to-be, coming-forth, appearance of aggregates, & acquisition of [sense] media of the various beings in this or that group of beings, that is called birth.
    In MN 117 the Buddha called notions of hindukarma and reincarnation "right view with defilements" (sammaditthi sasava). These are all speculative-view dosctrines of Self. As is the "three lives" eisegesis.

In the Sabbasava Sutta, the Buddha said:
    The Blessed One said, "Monks, the ending of the fermentations [asavas: defilements, effluents. See def: "effluvium"] is for one who knows & sees, I tell you, not for one who does not know & does not see. For one who knows what & sees what? Appropriate attention & inappropriate attention. When a monk attends inappropriately, unarisen fermentations arise, and arisen fermentations increase....

"And what are the fermentations to be abandoned by seeing? There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — does not discern what ideas are fit for attention or what ideas are unfit for attention. This being so, he does not attend to ideas fit for attention and attends [instead] to ideas unfit for attention...

"This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the immediate present: 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?'

"As he attends inappropriately in this way, one of six kinds of view arises in him: The view I have a self arises in him as true & established, or the view I have no self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive not-self... or the view It is precisely by means of not-self that I perceive self arises in him as true & established, or else he has a view like this: This very self of mine — the knower that is sensitive here & there to the ripening of good & bad actions — is the self of mine that is constant, everlasting, eternal, not subject to change, and will stay just as it is for eternity. This is called a thicket of views, a wilderness of views, a contortion of views, a writhing of views, a fetter of views. Bound by a fetter of views, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person is not freed from birth, aging, & death, from sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair. He is not freed, I tell you, from suffering & stress.
    Further, The Buddha said in the Simile of the Snake, MN22:

"There might, monk," the Blessed One said. "There is the case where someone has this view: 'This world is the self. After death this I will be constant, permanent, eternal, not subject to change. I will stay just like that for an eternity.' He hears a Tathagata or a Tathagata's disciple teaching the Dhamma for the elimination of all view-positions, determinations, biases, inclinations, & obsessions; for the stilling of all fabrications; for the relinquishing of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding. The thought occurs to him, 'So it might be that I will be annihilated! So it might be that I will perish! So it might be that I will not exist!' He grieves & is tormented, weeps, beats his breast, & grows delirious. It's thus that there is agitation over what is internally not present."
    And he also said in the Brahmajala Sutta:
    Also those samanas and brahmanas who speculate on the past, or the future, or both, and adhere to beliefs relating to them, assert in sixty-two ways their many and varied wrong views relating to the past and the future. They experience feeling as a result of repeated contact through the six sense bases. In them feeling gives rise to craving; craving gives rise to clinging; clinging gives rise to becoming; becoming gives rise to birth; and birth gives rise to ageing, death, grief, lamentation, pain, distress and despair.
    Are you conceding here that the Buddha taught paticcasamuppada in the here-and-now, then?
    Very much so... and in terms of three lives.
    Please cite an instance in the Suttas of the Buddha demonstrating paticcasamuppada using a "three-lives" framework, ever.

I tend to hold a more open-minded view of Buddhism than some in this thread, I guess...
    I was under the impression that the Buddha admonished bhikkhus to not laud themselves and disparage others...? Was I mistaken on that point...?

Again, part of the elephant.
    The simile of the elephant was directed toward speculative metaphysical views. The Buddhas transcendent teachings are not speculative views, metaphysical or otherwise.

Here's my counter-quote, from the same body of texts:

"evaṃ bhāvitesu kho, bhikkhu, catūsu iddhipādesu evaṃ bahulīkatesu, anekavihitaṃ pubbenivāsaṃ anussarati, seyyathidaṃ ekampi jātiṃ dvepi jātiyo tissopi jātiyo catassopi jātiyo pañcapi jātiyo dasapi jātiyo vīsampi jātiyo tiṃsampi jātiyo cattālīsampi jātiyo paññāsampi jātiyo jātisatampi jātisahassampi jātisatasahassampi anekepi saṃvaṭṭakappe anekepi vivaṭṭakappe anekepi saṃvaṭṭavivaṭṭakappe `amutrāsiṃ evaṃnāmo evaṃgotto evaṃvaṇṇo evamāhāro evaṃsukhadukkhappaṭisaṃvedī evamāyupariyanto, so tato cuto amutra udapādiṃ; tatrāpāsiṃ evaṃnāmo evaṃgotto evaṃvaṇṇo evamāhāro evaṃsukhadukkhappaṭisaṃvedī evamāyupariyanto, so tato cuto idhūpapanno'ti. iti sākāraṃ sauddesaṃ anekavihitaṃ pubbenivāsaṃ anussarati. (SN 5.7.2.1 pubbasutta)

I hope you'll excuse the Pali, it is a long passage. The important part is:

amutrāsiṃ evaṃnāmo evaṃgotto evaṃvaṇṇo evamāhāro evaṃsukhadukkhappaṭisaṃvedī evamāyupariyanto, so tato cuto amutra udapādiṃ

Off-the-cuff translation:

"In that [birth=jaati], I was thus named, I had such a clan, I had such a caste, I had such food, I had the experience of such happiness and suffering, I had such an ending of life. From that [birth] departing, I arose there."
    And where does the word "jaati" appear in this "important part"?:

"amutrāsiṃ evaṃnāmo evaṃgotto evaṃvaṇṇo evamāhāro evaṃsukhadukkhappaṭisaṃvedī evamāyupariyanto, so tato cuto amutra udapādiṃ"

At the same time, The Buddha pointed out that any "vision" of a "past life", whether imagined, hallucinated, or whatever, arises through the sense bases (six sextets) and is perceived in terms of the khandhas, as DD has I think pointed out earlier. This renders such imaginings irrelevent to the transcendent teachings. The Buddha did not mix lokiya teachings in when he presented lokuttara teachings. As such your "counter-quote" is not "from the same body of texts."
    And clearly puts you at variance with the passage I quoted above.
    Not at all. The Buddha lifted many ideas from others and changed their meanings. Again, lokiya teachings for puttujanas were one thing, and lokuttara teachings another.
    The fact that we have lived before conception was clearly something the Buddha was aware of, and something he made known.
    The Buddha pointed out that such claims (rather than "facts") were speculative views.

Contrary to what you are proposing, He was not always teaching "squarly and completely" about lokuttaradhamma, just giving what it took to get people closer thereto.
    I didn't propose that the Buddha taught transcendent teachings all the time. Obviouisly, just as today, there were many who were unable to grasp them through their clinging to speculative iews, or lack of intelligence, or lack of discernment.
    And again, I could give a counter-quote... are we going to have to do this all day?
    A lokiya "counter-quote", to be sure. Irrelevant.

I've got meditation to do, etc. Your quote could just as easily be supporting my argument as yours, and I've got a counter-quote to back my position up...
    Actually, no. The Loka Sutta is entirely a here-and-now teaching.
    ...you'd need something like, "and everything I've just said only refers to the eye-consciousness (etc.) in this life, not the relinking consciousness which would of course lead to becoming and birth in a conventional sense, which I do not teach." Such a quote is not as yet forthcoming.
    "The" eye consciousness...? You have reified that process into a "thing".

I don't "need" anything of the kind, as the Buddha never taught the "re-linking consciousness" doctrine of Self. The Buddha taught that each of the six forms of consciousness arose dependent upon the eye-base and forms, etc. He severely reprimanded Bhikkhu Sati for claiming that He taught about a "consciousness" such as is proposed in the "re-linking consciousness" eisegesis.

First of all, you're using the word lokuttara to describe things that are very much lokiya... there are only nine lokuttara dhammas, and knowledge of the arising of suffering is not one of them.
    Equivocal. You are using a different and misleading definition of the word "dhamma".

As to the idea that it would be silly "to claim that paticcasamuppada is somehow extended over "three lives"", well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think it is hardly silly to explain to people why they are born the way they are, and that the ramifications of their actions do not end at the death of their body.
    That is deterministic Jainism.

You make the Buddha sound like a computer or something...
    He was quite a bit smarter than a computer.

Yes, we do. And that is what I would consider really important, not whether or not you can manage to hack off the stuff about past and future lives... I think that stuff really helps motivate people.
    The reincarnation stuff? It motivates certain kinds of people --the Buddha pointed that out, and said that that was why he gave lokiya teachings to putthujanas -- but it puts off others who know better when it is misrepresented as a lokuttara teaching, or as if it were absolutely necessary to believe in such speculative views.
  • edited August 2009
    Please, don't think that I consider myself adequate to explain dependent origination;

I concede you that, based upon your arguments here.

but, please, don't consider yourself adequate either.

That does not follow.

• edited August 2009
    As to the relevance of all these lokiya endeavours that others before the Buddha thought to be necessary for liberation:

Ven. Susima heard that "A large number of monks, it seems, have declared final gnosis in the Blessed One's presence: 'We discern that "Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world."'" Then Ven. Susima went to those monks and, on arrival, exchanged courteous greetings with them. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he said to them, "Is it true, as they say, that you have declared final gnosis in the Blessed One's presence: 'We discern that "Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world"'?"

"Yes, friend."

"Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you wield manifold supranormal powers? Having been one you become many; having been many you become one? You appear? You vanish? You go unimpeded through walls, ramparts, & mountains as if through space? You dive in & out of the earth as if it were water? You walk on water without sinking as if it were dry land? Sitting crosslegged you fly through the air like a winged bird? With your hand you touch and stroke even the sun & moon, so mighty & powerful? You exercise influence with your body even as far as the Brahma worlds?"

"No, friend."

"Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you hear — by means of the divine ear-element, purified & surpassing the human — both kinds of sounds: divine & human, whether near or far?"

"No, friend."

"Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you know the awareness of other beings, other individuals, having encompassed it with your own awareness? Do you discern a mind with passion as a mind with passion, and a mind without passion as a mind without passion; a mind with aversion as a mind with aversion, and a mind without aversion as a mind without aversion; a mind with delusion as a mind with delusion, and a mind without delusion as a mind without delusion; a restricted mind as a restricted mind, and a scattered mind as a scattered mind; an enlarged mind as an enlarged mind, and an unenlarged mind as an unenlarged mind;an excelled mind [one that is not on the most excellent level] as an excelled mind, and an unexcelled mind as an unexcelled mind; a concentrated mind as a concentrated mind, and an unconcentrated mind as an unconcentrated mind; a released mind as a released mind, and an unreleased mind as an unreleased mind?"

"No, friend."

"Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you recollect your manifold past lives (lit: previous homes), i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand births, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction & expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here'?"

"No, friend."

"Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you see — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — beings passing away and re-appearing, and do you discern how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma: 'These beings — who were endowed with bad conduct of body, speech, & mind, who reviled the noble ones, held wrong views and undertook actions under the influence of wrong views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell. But these beings — who were endowed with good conduct of body, speech, & mind, who did not revile the noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destinations, in the heavenly world'?"

"No, friend."

"Then, having known thus, having seen thus, do you dwell touching with your body the peaceful emancipations, the formless states beyond form [the formless jhanas]?"

"No, friend."

"So just now, friends, didn't you make that declaration without having attained any of these Dhammas?"

"We're released through discernment, friend Susima."

"I don't understand the detailed meaning of your brief statement. It would be good if you would speak in such a way that I would understand its detailed meaning."

"Whether or not you understand, friend Susima, we are still released through discernment."
  • edited August 2009
    Yes, a good quote. But then, you should really find a quote that says, "right view = belief in only this life"

That would be just as much a speculative metaphysical view as "right view = belief in more than one life."

Neither Dhamma Dhatu nor I hold such speculative views. To argue against the straw man as if we did is a waste of everyone's time here.
  • edited August 2009

The Buddha said that it motivates some people, too. That doesn't mean that such beliefs that preceded the Buddha's teachings by a very long time apply to all, or to the Buddha's own (transcendent) teachings.

Another member pointed out the following quite well:
    The Buddha taught about Views:

And how is there the yoke of views? There is the case where a certain person does not discern, as it actually is present, the origination, the passing away, the allure, the drawbacks, & the escape from views. When he does not discern, as it actually is present, the origination, the passing away, the allure, the drawbacks, & the escape from views, then — with regard to views — he is obsessed with view-passion, view-delight, view-attraction, view-infatuation, view-thirst, view-fever, view-fascination, view-craving. This is the yoke of sensuality, the yoke of becoming, & the yoke of views.

and

The extent to which there are viewpoints, view-stances, the taking up of views, obsessions of views, the cause of views, & the uprooting of views: that's what I know. That's what I see. Knowing that, I say 'I know.' Seeing that, I say 'I see.' Why should I say 'I don't know, I don't see'? I do know. I do see.

Rebirth is a View, as is no Rebirth. The Buddha taught us to abandon views

Now he actually tells us why he teaches it (on occasion)

MN 68
    "So, Anuruddha, it is not for the purpose of scheming to deceive people or for the purpose of flattering people or for the purpose of gain, honour, and renown, or with the thought " let people know me to be thus", that when a disciple has died, the Tathagata declares his reappearance thus "so-and-so has reappeared in such-and-such a place" Rather, it is because there are faithful clansmen inspired and gladdened by what is lofty, who when they hear that, direct their minds to such a state, and that leads to their welfare and happiness for a long time"
    lofty
    Adjective
    [loftier, loftiest]
    1. of majestic or imposing height
    2. morally admirable: lofty ideals
    3. unpleasantly superior: a lofty contempt

He teaches it because there are

"faithful clansmen inspired and gladdened by what is lofty, who when they hear that, direct their minds to such a state, and that leads to their welfare and happiness for a long time"

So it promotes morality and wholesome mindstates that help people
  • edited August 2009
    First of all, you're using the word lokuttara to describe things that are very much lokiya...

Lokuttara means "world-transcending". The "world" that is transcended is the self-centered inner-and-outer world as it appears to us that the Buddha describes in the Loka Sutta above. One transcends this self-centered worldview, and thus transcends and banishes ignorance-generated selfishness self-centeredness and its children: greed and anger/hatred. That is not lokiya at all. It is the highest thing, the most valuable thing a person can do.
    ...there are only nine lokuttara dhammas, and knowledge of the arising of suffering is not one of them.
    :eek:
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]lokuttara: 'supermundane', is a term for the 4 paths and 4 fruitions of sotápatti, etc. (s. ariya-puggala), with Nibbána as ninth. Hence one speaks of '9 supermundane things' (nava-lokuttara-dhamma). Cf. prec.

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma2/dictionary/bd15.html

[/FONT]
    Aside from the previously noted equivocation,

You are telling us that you think that knowledge of the arising of suffering, its cause, its quenching, and the way leading to its quenching -- the Four Noble Truths -- are irrelevant to the Paths and Fruits, and to Nibbana, which is by definition the quenching of suffering...?

:eek2:

I just don't know what to say.

I am looking at Bhikkhu Bodhi's Note #114 in the Majjhima Nikaya (MLDB, p. 1184), in which he quotes the Majjhima Nikaya Atthakattha, saying that "Supramundane Right View is the understanding of the Four Noble Truths attained by penetrating to the four paths and fruits of sanctity."

That seems to directly contradict what you are claiming above. Where are you getting this from?
    edited August 2009
    Lokuttara means "world-transcending". The "world" that is transcended is the self-centered inner-and-outer world as it appears to us that the Buddha describes in the Loka Sutta above. One transcends this self-centered worldview, and thus transcends and banishes ignorance-generated selfishness self-centeredness and its children: greed and anger/hatred. That is not lokiya at all. It is the highest thing, the most valuable thing a person can do. :eek:
    Friend Stuka

You have certainly been active in your discussion.

What amazes me is the encouragement towards samsara; how the impression gained is one speaks and acts with an intention to keep human beings trapped in the suffering of samsara.

How fortunate is it to find the skillful method for insight and freedom.

edited August 2009
    Very impressive response, stuka. I don't know where you find the time!