Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Atonement sucks

edited February 2008 in Arts & Writings
My wife wanted to see this great love story, so we went. I will not spoil the ending, but will say the movie does that for you.

If anyone has read the book, let me know (& I will tell the wife) if the book also ends the same way.

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2008
    Well, I liked ATONEMENT.

I'm not a fancy movie critic, but I do have a very workable way of evaluating movies not based on historic characters that works for me:

If the movie transports you to a place you've never entirely been before and you enjoy that escape from the prison of your own mundane experience for a few hours, it's a good movie.

By that standard, I'd give ATONEMENT an "A."

Some movies do fail miserably, but I usually do my homework before going, and so am not usually disappointed. ATONEMENT is truly a stunning and beautiful work of art.

ATONEMENT is a deeply moving psychological thriller and it is enough almost to make you wanna believe in some kind of religion. Maybe I'm just hopeless, though, because I fall in love with something every day.

****Ebert gives it FOUR stars:
    http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071206/REVIEWS/712060301
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2008
    The non-event known as the Golden Globe awards voted it an outright winner.... But I confess, I've heard mixed reviews form those who have seen it....
  • edited January 2008
    Doesn't appeal to me. I preferred "No Country for Old Men" about a merciless killer who uses a cattle gun and a Vietnam war veteran. Not much of a chick flick I'm afraid. :D
  • edited February 2008
    ok. so i just saw it. have to admit, i nearly walked out. midway, i felt like i was being beaten with a blunt instrument. but it unfolded in such an unexpected, self-referential way. won't give it away, but the way it looks at bearing false witness (read wrong action/speech), then living life as fiction (read wrong action/view) in order to experience false salvation through false amends (read wrong everything), well... we can only imagine rebirth issues! hiho! ... well, la de f'in da! really, need tothink about it more.
  • edited February 2008
    Yes, the book ended the same way. I read it for a book club once, I was the only one to actually finish the bloody thing - hated it though. The characters were all so grating.