Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Finding a Temple

edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
How do I go about finding a temple in my area?? Thanks!

Kim

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Google "Buddhist" and your area. You may be surprised!
  • edited June 2005
    Oh thank you.....I suppose I could have just done a "search" for that post! Sorry about that.

I actually did do a yahoo search, but did not find much. Thanks guys!
  • edited August 2005
    www.yellowpages.com ;)

Worked for me anyway.
  • edited August 2005
    I have been trying to find a temple in this area but alot of them seem to have issues. So just take this as a warning check them out thoughouly.
  • edited August 2005
    Issues? Like what?
  • edited August 2005
    Several of the Buddhist organizations were created under the umbrella of the Unity Church or they meet in Unity Temple. One of them, The American Buddist Center, was founded by Reverend Ben Worth and thier sevices are conducted by Unity Temple staff members. That just doesnt sit right with me. There is also a SGI temple here that claims to be Buddhist but goes against what I think Buddhism is. Not to say its not someones path but definatly not mine. The Rime Buddist Center is annother in the area and it is headed up by "Lama" Chuck Stanford. There is alot of controversy over how he became a Lama. They also seem to be too money oriented for my liking, a Buddhist center with a gift shop?? Now Im not saying that all of these places are bad or not buddhists but I do believe that you should be very careful when selecting a teacher, making sure that they are going to led you down a path that is right for you. So for now my serch goes on, but Im in no big hurry the Dharma is a great techer on its own.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Sounds a bit suss....