Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nirvana - relative Nothingess?

edited September 2009 in Philosophy
While I was reading Jason`s excellent essay, it came to my mind what I read some years before about Nirvana. Arthur Schopenhauer claimed that Nirvana is a relative nothingness because no term of samsara fits to describe nirvana. This idea of nirvana is a transcendent understanding of it, not an immanent one like in later Mahayana. Although Jason showed that Nirvana is refered to as actualites in the Canon, like state or element, when it is described, it is often described negativly. It is often the absence of samsaric elements. Absence of craving, of greed, hate and delusion. Schopenhauer argued that philosophy has to be immanent, it can only describe what is there in the outside world, while Mystics try to describe transcendent experiences, which a philosopher can not. I argue that descriptions of nirvana like "highest happiness" and so on are mystic descriptions of what can not be objectivly described. The confusion comes into play because mystics, or generally people who experienced nirvana who describe it positivly, use samsaric terms which do not fit nirvana. My argument is that nirvana can only objectivly described in negative terms, the absence of something, because all terms we have are from samsara. Positve descriptions like nirvana as highest happiness are of no objective value, they merely give a hint of what the person experienced but are not nirvana itself. After all, there is nothing to fear of a relative nothingness, because it is not absolute, it merely is the absence of everything we can imagine.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2008
    I trily believe, Fofoo, that the via negativa is the key to unlocking dialogue and learning. To say what something is not can seem less than useful but it does answer the maxim of the 19th century's greatest practical philosopher, Sherlock Holmes: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the truth" (A. Conan Doyle, passim)
  • edited February 2008
    Simon, good friend, always with good humor :) I recently watched the hound of baskeville. I like the logic machine Sherlock Homes. I wanted to start my essay about Schopenhauer`s denial of the will and Nirvana, however the more I think about it, the more I find it different, because Schopenhauer praises christian self-mortification as a way to break the will, while the buddha called these pracitces unnoble. But in essence, both aim to end of action. Maybe my mind will produce clearer thoughts and I will post something soon.
  • edited May 2009
    the buddha's never attained it, the sentient beings never lost it. What is it? well its just this....it couldn't be anymore obvious....which is why it usually takes years to see it.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2009
    The Hindu say: "Neti, neti, neti".
    In Hinduism, and in particular Jnana Yoga and Advaita Vedanta, neti neti may be a chant or mantra, meaning "not this, not this", or "neither this, nor that" (neti is sandhi from na iti "not so").

Neti neti is also an analytical process of conceptualizing something by clearly defining what it is not. One of the key elements of Jnana Yoga is often a "neti neti search."

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    :)
    edited May 2009
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited May 2009
    What is Nirvana?
    I don't know.
    Will I recognize it if I reach it?
    Maybe.
    Will I be able to tell you what it is like?
    Probably not.
  • edited September 2009
    I am convinced that trying to explain Nirvana to anyone is like trying to explain what it means to "fall in love" to an eight-year old boy. This is to a certain extent what Lao Tsu meant when he said, "The Tao[Way] that can be spoken of is not the eternal and constant Tao." This is also crucial in Zen, where we are often told that, "to open one's mouth at all is to automatically be wrong."

Remember the Heart Sutra:

"True attainment is not attainment with nothing to attain."
    edited September 2009
    Validus wrote: »
    I am convinced that trying to explain Nirvana to anyone is like trying to explain what it means to "fall in love" to an eight-year old boy. This is to a certain extent what Lao Tsu meant when he said, "The Tao[Way] that can be spoken of is not the eternal and constant Tao." This is also crucial in Zen, where we are often told that, "to open one's mouth at all is to automatically be wrong."
    Hello Validus

The Buddha & Venerable Sariputta explained Nirvana on numerous occassions in the Theravada suttas. In brief, Nirvana is the here & now cessation of greed, hatred & delusion.

The Buddha's Nirvana is vastly different than the sphere of nothingness described by Lao Tse and the Heart Sutra.

Before his enlightenment, the Buddha-To-Be rejected the sphere of 'no-thing' as enlightenment or Nirvana.

The Buddha spoke 84,000 dhammas for 45 years rather than Lao Tse's 81 short poems about social morality & non-thinking.

Kind regards

DDhatu

• edited September 2009
    You say, "The Sky is big."
    I say, "The Sky is blue."

Who has lied and who has spoken truth?

-Gassho.
    edited September 2009
    You say, "The Sky is big." I say, "The Sky is blue."

Who has lied and who has spoken truth?
    Validus

The only truth the Buddha was concerned with was whatever truth could end suffering (or approach Nibbana). Buddha said:
    In the past and now, I teach only suffering & freedom from suffering.

Alagaddupama Sutta
    Whether the sky is blue or big has no relevance to freedom from suffering. However, all Buddhas comprehend the sky is impermanent, unsatisfactory, empty of self and merely elements (dhatus). This is the truth of the Buddhas because it ends suffering.
    277. "All conditioned things are impermanent" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

278. "All conditioned things are unsatisfactory" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

279. "All things are not-self" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

Maggavagga
  • edited September 2009
    -and as you yourself have clearly understood this then I take it you are yourself a fully enlightened Buddha, correct?

You'd have to be if, as the sutta states, you have "seen this [impermanence] with wisdom and turned away from suffering."

Correct?:)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2009
    The concept of "enlightened being" contradicts the doctrine of nonself. Think about it.

The experience of "fully enlightened Buddha" is in every moment. From that perspective, the intent of the practice is learning to rest in that experience. It is possible to experience the things which Dhatu is speaking of without "being" a "fully enlightened Buddha," whatever that might mean.
  • edited September 2009
    -and as you yourself have clearly understood this then I take it you are yourself a fully enlightened Buddha, correct?

The Buddha did not teach "'being or becoming' a 'Fully Enlightened Buddha(TM)'".

The Buddha saidt that his teachings were aimed, in part, at the cessation of chasing after such illusions of status (in the Simile of the Snake, MN 22.20).

Nor did the Buddha teach that only such a "Fully Enlightened Buddha(TM)" or a Tathagata or an arhant could clearly understand, or, as the Buddha specifically phrased such things, see and know, these things. Such a notion appears to be aimed at controlling the gullible through their own superstitions and ignorance of the Buddha's teachings.
    You'd have to be if, as the sutta states, you have "seen this [impermanence] with wisdom and turned away from suffering."

Correct?:)

Incorrect. Anyone can see impermanence in things. Anyone can see the difference between realities and the stories we concoct about them. Anyone can see that there is suffering in clinging to these things. And, seeing this with the knowledge that clinging to things that are impermanent, not-self, and given to suffering is seeing with wisdom.

Anyone who sees and knows this can turn away from clinging at any time, and doing so is turning away from suffering. At any time.
  • edited September 2009
    Simon, good friend, always with good humor I recently watched the hound of baskeville. I like the logic machine Sherlock Homes. I wanted to start my essay about Schopenhauer`s denial of the will and Nirvana, however the more I think about it, the more I find it different, because Schopenhauer praises christian self-mortification as a way to break the will, while the buddha called these pracitces unnoble. But in essence, both aim to end of action. Maybe my mind will produce clearer thoughts and I will post something soon.
  • edited September 2009
    But in essence, both aim to end of action.

Not true. The Buddha's teachings aim to end suffering. The Buddha performed many, many actions in the 45 years he taught after defeating suffering.
    edited September 2009
    -and as you yourself have clearly understood this then I take it you are yourself a fully enlightened Buddha, correct...
    Validus

You have turned the various discussions into personal attacks and personality projections. You have strayed from the topics and entered into the real HELL of self-view. Words are not hell.

I advised you the Theravadins cannot learn anything from the Heart Sutra because the Nirvana the Buddha reported was not related to regarding things as "nothing" or "non-existent".

The Nirvana the Buddha reported in the Theravada Suttas comes from dispassion, when greed, hatred & delusion end.

It is not related to non-thinking, non-speaking and non-labelling per se.

You need to acknowledge (but not necessarily accept) the distinction that is being made.

In brief, the Tao De Ching and Heart Sutra state non-thinking is Nirvana.

Where as the Buddha said dispassion is Nirvana.

Non-thinking vs dispassion.

This is the topic and disagreement.

This is not a matter of doctrine but a matter of different mental states.

273. Of all the paths the Eightfold Path is the best; of all the truths the Four Noble Truths are the best; of all things passionlessness is the best: of men the Seeing One (the Buddha) is the best.

Maggavagga
  • edited September 2009
    Validus

The Nirvana the Buddha reported in the Theravada Suttas comes from dispassion, when greed, hatred & delusion end.

It is not related to non-thinking, non-speaking and non-labelling.

Continuing DD's point: nor is it related to non-acting.
  • edited September 2009
    I am convinced that trying to explain Nirvana to anyone is like trying to explain what it means to "fall in love" to an eight-year old boy.

....eight-year-old boys don't know what it is to fall in love...? :skeptical
    edited September 2009
    Non-thinking vs dispassion.
    Validus

Or another distinction that grates the Tao/Zen/Advaita view is knowing vs not-knowing.

In Theravada, the suttas say right liberation (samma vimutti) comes from right knowledge (samma nanna) whereas the Tao/Zen/Advaita view is liberation comes from not-knowing.

This is another reason why the Heart Sutra offers little to Theravadins.

In fact, the difference between Theravada and your views is like oil and water.

In my experience, an ounce of right knowledge or clear seeing is worth more than a pound of mindless meditation on nothingness.

An ounce of seeing the world clearly according to its causes & conditions is worth more than a pound of non-dual non-thinking awareness.

It is important we learn to acknowledge (but not necessarily accept) these differences of view.

:buck:
  • edited September 2009
    Validus

Or another distinction that grates the Tao/Zen/Advaita view is knowing vs not-knowing.

In Theravada, the suttas say right liberation (samma vimutti) comes from right knowledge (samma nanna) whereas the Tao/Zen/Advaita view is liberation comes from not-knowing.

In my experience, an ounce of right knowledge or clear seeing is worth more than a pound of mindless meditation on nothingness.

An ounce of seeing the world clearly according to its causes & conditions is worth more than a pound of non-dual non-thinking awareness.

It is important we learn to acknowledge (but not necessarily accept) these differences of view.

:buck:

The Buddha can often be found proclaiming in the Suttas:

"Monks, the ending of the effluents is for one who knows & sees, I tell you, not for one who does not know & does not see...."
  • edited September 2009
    Validus

First of all, you're acting as if the Buddha was himself a "Theravaden" Buddhist, as if your school of the Dhamma had some sort of monopoly on Siddartha Gautama and what he taught. You remind me of Christians who think that Jesus was the first Catholic when in fact he was a Jew. The Buddha did not write down anything he taught...so yes- I see your clinging to the suttas as unhealthy and overly bias because at best any sutta/Sutra is a tool for seeing into our true nature. If studying the Pali scriptures enables you to acheive liberation then great...if some of us acheive liberation by studying the Heart Sutra and the Diamond Sutra then I feel that too is a good thing, but why all this secterianism from you? My views obvously make you angry...so where is that anger coming from, Dharma Datu? I can feel it in your condescending tone in every word you write and others have recognized it as well.

This isn't Northern Ireland and I'm not a Protestant...
  • edited September 2009
    First of all, you're acting as if the Buddha was himself a "Theravaden" Buddhist, as if your school of the Dhamma had some sort of monopoly on Siddartha Gautama and what he taught.

No one here has claimed that. The Theravada tradition is not without its own eisegeses.
    You remind me of Christians who think that Jesus was the first Catholic when in fact he was a Jew.

Straw man, and a personal attack. Again, no one here has claimed that the Buddha was a "Theravadin". However, *all* schools of Buddhism hold the Nikayas to be authoritative.
    The Buddha did not write down anything he taught...so yes- I see your clinging to the suttas as unhealthy and overly bias because at best any sutta/Sutra is a tool for seeing into our true nature.

The Buddha taught that his Dhamma was to be found in the Suttas, and experience shows that this is true. Again, the fox is telling himself the grapes are sour.
    If studying the Pali scriptures enables you to acheive liberation then great...if some of us acheive liberation by studying the Heart Sutra and the Diamond Sutra then I feel that too is a good thing, but why all this secterianism from you?

So much hyperbole -- you said that you were convinced that it is impossible to explain "Nirvana", and DD pointed out that the Buddha and others described it many times, to which you reacted with defensiveness and personal attacks. His answer was not from a sectarian standpoint; it came from knowledge, experience, and understanding of the Buddha's teachings, as presented in the Suttas, which all schools hold to present the teachings of the Buddha.
    My views obvously make you angry...so where is that anger coming from, Dharma Datu? I can feel it in your condescending tone in every word you write and others have recognized it as well.

This isn't Northern Ireland and I'm not a Protestant...

More irrelevant personal attacks. Please play the ball, not the man.
  • edited September 2009
    Did you actually type all that yourself, brother?

See, this is what happens when you adapt a sectarian point of view. Too rigid...too narrow...and a lot of typing that seems designed to convince yourself (that illusionary self, by the way) that what you're saying is the absolute unyielding truth.

Both your attitude and your urgency give away the whole game, but I'm not here to play games. By seeking out distinctions the way you are you take all the beauty and power of the Dharma and reduce it to dry words on even dryer pages that don't do anyone any good at all. If the Pali suttas are so filled with the liberating truth...why is your abuse towards me so utterly empty of either wisdom [Prajna] or compassion [Metta]?

My goal is to liberate all sentient beings from samsara.

What's yours...................................................???:rant:
  • edited September 2009
    :rant:

Validus. It is a mistake to think that one can read the minds of others.

Again, personal attacks (of which your entire post consists) violate the TOS and contribute nothing useful to the discussion.
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited September 2009
    Did you actually type all that yourself, brother?

See, this is what happens when you adapt a sectarian point of view. Too rigid...too narrow...and a lot of typing that seems designed to convince yourself (that illusionary self, by the way) that what you're saying is the absolute unyielding truth.

Both your attitude and your urgency give away the whole game, but I'm not here to play games. By seeking out distinctions the way you are you take all the beauty and power of the Dharma and reduce it to dry words on even dryer pages that don't do anyone any good at all. If the Pali suttas are so filled with the liberating truth...why is your abuse towards me so utterly empty of either wisdom [Prajna] or compassion [Metta]?

My goal is to liberate all sentient beings from samsara.

What's yours...................................................???:rant:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> This is off topic and for that I apologize but I feel it might be needed.
    <o></o>
    Truthfully I see no harm coming from their words. I “feel” you are placing meaning in their words that does not exist. It is often quite difficult to perceive the feeling and attitude coming from text mainly because we cannot see the person and their expressions. Let’s say for instance that they were intentionally trying to be harmful with their words, what good are you doing by attacking back? I think it is extremely important to ask one’s self, what in this moment am I cultivating? If this discussion has created a disturbance in your mind and you focus on it then you are not cultivating the wholesomeness that you should be and instead have started undoing all the hard work you have put forth to bring around the cessation of suffering.
    <o></o>
    Focusing on others fault whether they are real or not changes nothing, and in most cases doesn’t even affect the other person, only you. Looking into ones self and asking am I making this situation worse and how can I make it better is much more productive.
    <o></o>
    I wish you the best of luck on your journey.
  • edited September 2009
    Why is it that when you attack my point of view that's called "forwarding the discussion" but when I attack your point of view it's personal?

You also didn't answer my question...which meant you did answer it.
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited September 2009
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Someone not answering means just that, they did not answer. Careful not to place meaning that is not there. This right here is a huge portion of our suffering in life. . .
  • edited September 2009
    Why is it that when you attack my point of view that's called "forwarding the discussion" but when I attack your point of view it's personal?

There is a huge difference between clarifying what the Buddha taught and "attacking [your] point of view".
    You also didn't answer my question...which meant you did answer it.

Your "question' wasn't really a question.
  • edited September 2009
    My goal is to liberate all sentient beings from Samsara.

My question is: what's your goal?
  • edited September 2009
    Declaring "goals" is not a matter of interest to me.

The teachings and practice of the Buddha are.
  • edited September 2009
    kenny wrote: »
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Someone not answering means just that, they did not answer. Careful not to place meaning that is not there. This right here is a huge portion of our suffering in life. . .

Very well said, Kenny.
  • edited September 2009
    Why is this such a difficult question for you, Stupa?

You say that the teachings of the Buddha are important to you-

-to what end?
  • edited September 2009
    I did not say that it was a difficult question. Please refer to Kenny's good advice above, and lay off the personal attacks. Play the ball (the subject of this thread, that is "Nirvana -- relative Nothingness?") and not the man (questioning my motives, which are irrelevant to the topic and not your business).

Please stay on topic.
  • edited September 2009
    Please answer the question.:)

Again- you say that the teachings of the Buddha are important to you.

Fair enough-but to what end?

[Others will note that the question is not insuling in any way and is a straight-forward query that Stupa keeps running from for reasons I can only begin to guess at]
  • edited September 2009
    Please answer the question.:)

Again- you say that the teachings of the Buddha are important to you.

Fair enough-but to what end?

[Others will note that the question is not insuling in any way and is a straight-forward query that Stupa keeps running from for reasons I can only begin to guess at]

You are badgering. I suggest you cease the personal harangue and return to the topic:
    fofoo wrote: »
    While I was reading Jason`s excellent essay, it came to my mind what I read some years before about Nirvana. Arthur Schopenhauer claimed that Nirvana is a relative nothingness because no term of samsara fits to describe nirvana. This idea of nirvana is a transcendent understanding of it, not an immanent one like in later Mahayana. Although Jason showed that Nirvana is refered to as actualites in the Canon, like state or element, when it is described, it is often described negativly. It is often the absence of samsaric elements. Absence of craving, of greed, hate and delusion. Schopenhauer argued that philosophy has to be immanent, it can only describe what is there in the outside world, while Mystics try to describe transcendent experiences, which a philosopher can not. I argue that descriptions of nirvana like "highest happiness" and so on are mystic descriptions of what can not be objectivly described. The confusion comes into play because mystics, or generally people who experienced nirvana who describe it positivly, use samsaric terms which do not fit nirvana. My argument is that nirvana can only objectivly described in negative terms, the absence of something, because all terms we have are from samsara. Positve descriptions like nirvana as highest happiness are of no objective value, they merely give a hint of what the person experienced but are not nirvana itself. After all, there is nothing to fear of a relative nothingness, because it is not absolute, it merely is the absence of everything we can imagine.