Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindful Politics

edited February 2008 in Arts & Writings
I started a new book the other day “Mindful Politics, A Buddhist guide to making the world a better place.” With everything that is going on in today’s political seen, I thought this book would be helpful. I’m about halfway through and it’s not to bad.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2008
    I'll look it up, although I am the least 'political' animal I know....
    oh, BTW, when YOU've finished reading it, I fully expect you to take over the world.
    You can of course, count on my vote....

Thanks for the reference.... !
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to have a look around for it too. My degree was in history/politics although I loved the history more. But I'd be very interested in a Buddhist political perspective.

Thanks for mentioning it, David. I appreciate it. (Can I call you David?)
  • edited February 2008
    Brigid wrote: »
    I'm going to have a look around for it too. My degree was in history/politics although I loved the history more. But I'd be very interested in a Buddhist political perspective.

Thanks for mentioning it, David. I appreciate it. (Can I call you David?)

It is a good book and really opens ones mind from all angles and perspectives. Out of 10 I give the book an 8.

The next book I am starting is by H.H the Dalai Lama “Ethics for a New Millennium”
    I am excided to read this book.

Anyone have any opinions on this book?

Peace to you all

And yes its ok to call me David, I get called allot worse things on a daily bases at work
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2008
    I was rather disappointed with Ethics for the New Millennium, in that it was not very focussed or sharp. I made a few highlights in my copy, but the book just doesn't have the force, aim, or weight I would expect from an ethical treatise. It seems to me to be saying the same thing several times. I think the whole book really could have been condensed to about 12 to 15 paragraphs —with perhaps another chapter on mindfulness and compassion— and have been much better.

Overall, though, I'd say it's a good book, but that one should highlight clear statements liberally for future reference. It's definitely not a book you'd want to reread from cover to cover.