Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Getting MBMC site spidered by Google

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited September 2004 in NewBuddhist.com
How do we get traffic to this site?

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2004
    Put a link to it in your profile on Short-Media would probably be the quickest way. Bots can't help themselves but to follow new exciting links, and we have a ton on there :) Make sure you use a good 2-3 word descriptor for your link text.

I doubt these forums have the uber-cool spider-friendly version... but they'll probably work out ok regardless.

Again... not too much optimization to be done with a forum layout. Off the top of my head, I think only three things can help: good words as link text, putting the site name AFTER the thread name in page titles (although this might not be as helpful as on SM since this site's title contains google-able words), and higher site activity.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2004
    Well I changed my sig on short-media. Hope that brings a new person or two curiously clicking over here :D
  • edited September 2004
    Originally posted by Brian@Sep 7 2004, 03:34 AM
    Well I changed my sig on short-media. Hope that brings a new person or two curiously clicking over here :D
    Well, it worked... :)
    edited September 2004
    Hey, that's all I needed to hear! :D
  • edited September 2004
    I actually had bookmarked the original MBMC site you created, but never checked back in.
    edited September 2004
    Well I really want to revive this site, it's been dead (mostly due to my negligence) for a year now, and I think it has a lot of potential, so I need to kick it back into shape.
  • edited September 2004
    Do you need static pages to get spidered, or do dynamic pages (asp,php,etc.) get spidered just the same?
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2004
    Dynamic pages work, but it's best to have only one variable in the URL or else the spider can't tell if it's a unique page and doesn't like that much. That's one reason why vBulletin only uses the thread ID in URLs.
    edited September 2004
    Maybe I'll shell out for VB3 and see if shorty will take a quick "shorty-optimised" swipe at it..
  • edited September 2004
    Well I really can't help here cause I know nothing about getting the site spidered, but I did add a link to the forums in my profile on SM.... hopefully that helps!