Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Site changes & The prodigal developer

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited February 2009 in NewBuddhist.com
Hi everyone :)

I really haven't "been here" aside from the stray comment or two for years. I tried to help Brian at the onset of the site, but then I strayed off into other projects.

Brian just hooked me up with admin access tonight and I started reworking the site. I started by adding a new front page (one that actually works, yay!) that will let the staff post things and all of us talk about them in the forum. It has the default design right now, but I'll be fixing that soon.

I'm going to be adding some things to the forums that I think are helpful / fun and generally try to be more hands-on with the site.

Or maybe I'll disappear back into the void again after this weekend! :hrm: Who knows? Just doing what I can while I can. All feedback welcome and encouraged!

Cheers!

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2008
    I just merged several forums together. I hope it will make it easier to browse the forum and make it appear more active to guests. Nothing was lost, just moved :)

The main change was combining the regional discussions into the Buddhism in the Modern World forum, and all the religion-comparison forums into Buddhism & Other Religions. I also bumped Current Events up to the first grouping, and moved Buddha U to the bottom.
    edited March 2008
    [action=Matt]tests his new hack[/action]

Now, if you type this (minus quotes): "/me does something"

It will look like this:
    [action=Matt]does something[/action]

Just some shorthand for what a lot of us do anyway. :)
  • edited March 2008
    */knitwitch smiles and waves at everyone
  • edited March 2008
    doesn't work
    edited March 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    doesn't work
    Don't use an asterick. Simply the / followed immediately by "me".
    edited March 2008
    I've added a "Latest Threads" box next to the Google ad which displays the last 5 thread in which someone posted. I find it's a nice way to keep a finger on the heartbeat of the site. :)

The logo will also now direct you to the front page instead of the forum index.
  • edited March 2008
    [action=Knitwitch]Stands on a box and waves to everyone[/action]
  • edited March 2008
    Ha ha that's better - I always take time to get used to new technology
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    matt wrote: »
    I've added a "Latest Threads" box next to the Google ad which displays the last 5 thread in which someone posted. [

I don't see this on my front page.....
    The logo will also now direct you to the front page instead of the forum index.

This does work, however.....!
    edited March 2008
    federica wrote: »
    I don't see this on my front page.....
    No? It's on the main forum page to the right of the Google ad... :-/
    edited March 2008
    You gave me an idea! I put the lastest 5 discussions on the front page as well :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2008
    I'm brilliant, and I don't even know it.....!!:lol:
    edited March 2008
    I'm brilliant, and I don't even know it.....!!:lol:
    Truth! :D

Now I just fixed that missing "multiquote" ["+] button in the bottom right of each post. You can click it to select multiple people to quote before clicking "quote" on the last one.

Example: I want to quote myself, Knitwich, and Fede. I click the "multiquote" button on my post and on Knitwich's post, and then finally click the "quote" button on Fede's post to open a new reply with all 3 quotes ready-to-go in it. :)
    edited March 2008
    wow....
    edited March 2008
    wow....
    matt wrote: »
    Truth! :D

Now I just fixed that missing "multiquote" ["+] button in the bottom right of each post. You can click it to select multiple people to quote before clicking "quote" on the last one.

Example: I want to quote myself, Knitwich, and Fede. I click the "multiquote" button on my post and on Knitwich's post, and then finally click the "quote" button on Fede's post to open a new reply with all 3 quotes ready-to-go in it. :)
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    Ha ha that's better - I always take time to get used to new technology

Holy schmoley that is sooooooo cooool!!
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2008
    [action=jj5] [/action]

testing
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2008
    neat!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Recently, while trying to send a Private Message to someone on NewBuddhist, I simply clicked on her name on the main menu, and rather than finding a place for a "Private Message," I found a "Visitor Message" box. I did not notice it at the time (In fact, I only noticed the difference after I had sent the blasted thing.).

Since then, I have noticed that I can opt to "Befriend _____________," who, inexorably, has no friends, since this feature is new. Does Matt or anyone care to address this apparently new feature?

For myself, as long as people behave, I think it's kinda neat. I believe, from my scant exposure to this new "area," that there are two salient features.

Number One: Apparently one has to be logged in in order to be enabled to leave a visitor's message. That should control, in some measure, possible negative consequences, should my second observation, directly below, also be true:

Number Two: Apparently one (logged in or not, I do not know) can read another's visitors' messages, which might be interesting to some. I, for one, hope that any defamatory or objectionable material might be removable.
    edited May 2008
    Yup, that just showed up this week with the latest upgrade to the forum software. It was a big big upgrade.

There's actually quite a few new things to play with, but some of them might not be turned on yet. It's a two step process: upgrade the software, then upgrade the appearance. I've done the former but not the latter yet. :) I've actually been working on finishing the upgrade for the last 4 days on the other site Brian and I run, Icrontic.com.

If you've used Facebook, a lot of the features are similar to what you find on there: a "wall"/visitor message area, photo albums, and friending people. Attaching pictures to threads operates differently, you can "tag" threads, and there's better spam control. A lot of this requires me finishing the upgrade before they will show up.

Lots of other little stuff to find too :)
    edited January 2009
    I suddenly remembered that NewBuddhist used to look really good... and I fixed the templates to restore the static width and sweet background texture :D
  • edited January 2009
    Very good - much cleaner!
    edited January 2009
    Let me give an enthusiastic response, too (even though, with my advancing age, it took me forever to find where the Attic had been moved to. Who'd have thought of looking DOWN for an Attic? :) )
    edited January 2009
    Ah yes, I made the Attic a full forum :) We're too small a site to be bothering with stacked sub-forums like that.
    edited January 2009
    In other words, we've built an extension.....

The attic now has a large balcony........!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2009
    Site looks WAY better. Thanks, Matt <3
    edited January 2009
    ....'Less than three'..... what.....? :p:D
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2009
    <3 is a heart, turned sideways and rendered into an easily typable format :D

:):D;):p<3
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Oh...I always thought it was a double scoop ice cream cone with the scoops side by side instead of on top of one another...and the whole thing, you know, sideways...?

(Just kidding.)
  • edited February 2009
    Hehehe...
    edited February 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    <3 is a heart, turned sideways and rendered... :D

:):D;):p<3

In other words, REPENT YE ?

Harden not your hearts, but turn them sidewards! REPENT!

Render Your Heart!

????