Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So I'm a Buddhist.

BrigidBrigid Veteran
edited May 2008 in Arts & Writings
So I'm a Buddhist. Which means I do Buddhist things like meditating and practicing loving kindness, patience, equanimity and so on. There are a milli... Continue reading

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited April 2008
    You have personified this site in your very first main-page post :) Great stuff.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2008
    Thanks, Matt! I appreciate it. :)
  • edited April 2008
    That is wonderful Brigid - I know people very much older than you who haven't begun to grasp the significance of this exercise and sit wallowing in their misery, making their discomfort their comfort zone.

Blessings on you for learning to get out of that. ((((((((((hug)))))))))))))
  • edited April 2008
    Brigid,

I like the way you described Buddhism as seeing the world through the eyes of a child. The story goes that the Buddha experienced an inner peace as a child meditating under a tree and when he was searching for enlightenment many years later, he tried to recreate that feeling.

As we get older, we become preoccupied with worry and commitments, and forget how to simply be. I had some problems a few days ago and couldn't get rid of the anxiety. I sat down to meditate and simply focused on the way I was feeling -- my rapid heartbeat, my mind objects, my emotions... Soon everything became clear and the solution appeared like a ship approaching from an ocean horizon.

I've only been practicing for about four or five months and I often fall off the path, but as time goes on, I fall off less and less.

Namaste
  • edited April 2008
    Kubo wrote: »
    Brigid,

I like the way you described Buddhism as seeing the world through the eyes of a child.
    Namaste

Always assuming that you had a secure and loving childhood. Personally I would HATE to go back to the way I was as a child, seeing and feeling things the way I did then.

But I do understand this is meant to refer to a "normal" or idealized childhood :)
  • edited April 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    Always assuming that you had a secure and loving childhood. Personally I would HATE to go back to the way I was as a child, seeing and feeling things the way I did then.
    I can empathize, Knit. I was talking about children in general -- not children who were raised in an abusive environment. Sorry you didn't have a good childhood.
  • edited April 2008
    Brigid:
    What a lovely post. I know exactly what you mean. For me it's that healthy doubt --"maybe this is just a thought rather than reality" --that can let a crack of light into the dark airless room of worry or rumination. This can ultimately lead me to someplace where the thought is still there but there is much more space around it and it has lost its power over me . I don't find I can always do this, but when I can, it's very liberating.

As I understand it, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) has some similarities to this. CBT teaches people to recognize those negative thought patterns and replace them with more constructive, positive ones. The difference, I believe, is that whereas CBT teaches people to use our rational minds to argue against the thoughts. Mindfulness is gentler; it's more about settling, seeing your thoughts for what they are, and letting them exist in a larger and brighter space.

Best,
    Ben
  • edited April 2008
    Kubo wrote: »
    I can empathize, Knit. I was talking about children in general -- not children who were raised in an abusive environment. Sorry you didn't have a good childhood.

No worries Kubo - it was a long time ago and I am as over it now as I am ever going to be, but thank you for your kindness. :)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I think like a child-my wife tells me so all the time...

I'm a Buddhist too!! woohooo!

or maybe the term is Nutbag.??

Cheers all,

regards,

Me
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! How nice that people actually took the time to read my little rantings.

Big, gentle ((((((Hugs))))) right back to you, Knitwitch.

Hi, Kubo, and welcome to the forum! So lovely to see a new face. :)
    I loved the way you put it:
    I sat down to meditate and simply focused on the way I was feeling -- my rapid heartbeat, my mind objects, my emotions... Soon everything became clear and the solution appeared like a ship approaching from an ocean horizon.
    It's amazing what we can do when our minds are calm, isn't it? Getting rid of the noise, the static of our speeding thoughts, can bring about seemingly miraculous things.

Hey, Ben.

Great post! I think you've hit the nail on the head with your description of CBT and Mindfulness training. I use both techniques in different situations and I agree with you completely. I loved what you wrote:
    For me it's that healthy doubt --"maybe this is just a thought rather than reality" --that can let a crack of light into the dark airless room of worry or rumination. This can ultimately lead me to someplace where the thought is still there but there is much more space around it and it has lost its power over me .
    Well said!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2008
    RANTINGS???

You said it so well, so gently; One can hardly help but go back and read it again and again, you reminded us all of our "thinking" problems: living under the influence of harmful thinking.

Thanks for being such a good writer and such a dear sister to us all!

Fondly,

Nirvy
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    You are just the sweetest, Nirvy!
  • edited May 2008
    Hi Brigid

I have just had the good fortune to read your post and it really is beautiful.

As a newcomer on this path, and a "sufferer" or a person recovering from panic disorder and agoraphobia this struck a real chord with me.

Through meditation and the teachings I am coming to view my experience of anxiety as something completely different to what I thought it was. It is an experience made up of lots of little causes and conditions such as thoughts, perceptions, old beliefs, thoughts about the past, about the future, false perceptions of symptoms.......all this adds up to one seemingly solid "thing" called anxiety or panic.

Things certainly are not what they appear to be. Thoughts do not need to be labelled good or bad or followed; they are just what they are - thoughts. With awareness as our sword we can cut through perception and leave thought to it's own devices and allow it to float out of our attention the way it came in.

I would never have thought it possible to be able to sit with pain or suffering and just leave it be and let it be. It is a magical, spiritual awakening of it's very own.

I cannot tell you how grateful and happy I am to have my life back, have some peace and to finally be able to control (to some degree) my own monkey mind after thinking I was crazy for two decades. This allows me to be able to let go of myself little by little, and start looking at helping others; I have room for people now and do not see them as a drain on my energy.

I am so grateful to the teachings and to the Buddha and may we all be free of suffering.

:D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I cannot tell you how grateful and happy I am to have my life back, have some peace and to finally be able to control (to some degree) my own monkey mind after thinking I was crazy for two decades. This allows me to be able to let go of myself little by little, and start looking at helping others; I have room for people now and do not see them as a drain on my energy.

I am so grateful to the teachings and to the Buddha and may we all be free of suffering.
    Hi, Lisa.

Your whole post, but particularly the quotation above, is exactly, and I mean exactly, the way I feel. It never ceases to amaze me how similar some people's experiences can be, even total strangers like you and me. Amazing. I have a panic disorder too and after 30 years of trying everything I could find to help me cope, Buddhism turned out to be the only medicine that worked. Finding Buddhism has been the most important thing that's ever happened to me and not an hour goes by when I don't feel grateful for it. Like you, I'm so grateful to have my life back. To have hope again, to actually look forward to the future instead of worrying about it or dreading it. Thanks for your lovely reply, Lisa. I'm so glad we could share our experiences and find such remarkably common ground.
  • edited May 2008
    It really is amazing and true (though perhaps sad) that suffering brings people closer together than joy.

While other people can be happy for your happiness, only people who have suffered in a similar way can empathise with your suffering.

Since I have "come out" about my mental health problems, I have made contact with other, lovely, inspiring people who have been through similar experiences. We form a band - the survivors - nothing else in this life can be as bad as what we have already known ... what is there to be afraid of now? Go forward in hope.