Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Everyday Dharma

edited June 2008 in Sanghas
http://everydaydharma.org/

This is my sangha. It has the benefit of being open to Vipassana while still being Zen. It is also very low key and friendly. Small and intimate. There are sittings everyday at noon. The dharma talks are on Wednesday nights after meditation. They have dedicated practitioner sessions on weekends with private instruction. In the Fall, if my schedule permits, I want to sign up to do these sessions. They consist of day long sits plus study and guidance. You meet with the teacher individually for question and answer.

All of this for me is partly in preparation for joining another sangha that is not so close by. It is in a different school, Sanbo Kyodan, and is for psychotherapists. The teacher there is a Zen master in the dharma lineage of Aitken Roshi. He is also a psychoanalyst. They do koan study in addition to other practices. But it is a two hour drive and the teacher does not take students until he has known them for at least a year. So I'm waiting to see how this will work out. His Zen institute is here:

http://www.deepstreams.org/

Comments

• edited May 2008
    This is where I think, read, write, and reflect.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2008
    When I was living in Santa Cruz, I used to regularly visit here and here. I really miss Santa Cruz.
  • edited May 2008
    You lived in Santa Cruz? How cool. When? I used to sit with the Vipassana group too. Mary Orr was the teacher. What did you like about it?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2008
    island,
    island wrote: »
    You lived in Santa Cruz? How cool. When? I used to sit with the Vipassana group too. Mary Orr was the teacher. What did you like about it?

I lived there from 06/04 to 03/07. The main thing I liked was having a place to meditate. I also liked Bob Stahl's and Marry Orr's Dhamma talks.

Jason
  • edited June 2008
    I've decided to switch my practice to a place that has slightly more formal training. It is in the lineage of Suzuki Roshi and the San Francisco Zen Center. They have courses on things like the precepts for lay initiation. They don't do koan study being Soto but they have a study group that informally looks at koan work. All a slow preparation.
  • edited June 2008
    I'm glad that you found a centre to help you with your practice, Island.

Finding a good teacher and dharma group is such a blessing! :)