Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My new local "sangha" and meditation group.

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited June 2008 in Sanghas
Everyone,

I have been searching for a good place to practice in the Portland, OR area, and I have started attending meditation sessions at a Taiwanese Mahayana temple called Miao Fa Chan Temple. The person in charge is Ven. Fa Thai, who, apparently, studied meditation for eighteen years in Thailand (at Tiger Caves Monastery) before coming to this temple. While this is predominately a temple in the Taiwanese Mahayana tradition, the head monk teaches vipassana techniques based upon the four foundations of mindfulness (which, luckily, I am already acquainted with), and he seems to be a very good-natured and friendly individual. In fact, he reminds me a great deal of two of my past teachers, Ajahn Chuen and Ajahn Prasert. I really enjoyed my last two visits, and I plan on attending their evening meditation sessions as often as I can; the temple itself is convieniently located on my way home from work. I am not only excited about having a place to practice meditation with a skilled teacher (seeing as how my motivation to practice has seriously declined since moving away from my spiritual community in California, Wat Buddhanusorn and Dhammadharini Vihara), but about having the chance to be exposed to other Buddhist traditions as well.

Sincerely,

Jason

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2008
    May it afford you the shelter and guidance, peace and serenity we would all be glad to have..........
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2008
    So happy for you, Jason. Wonderful news! I hope your time there is fruitful and full of peace and joy.