Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Well, I think I've found my path...

SabineSabine Veteran
edited June 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I've decided to study Mahayana Buddhism :bigclap: :)
One problem--the closest temple is Thai/Theravada. :/ I'd love to go there one day, but...what do I do? I'm not sure if we even speak the same language...what if I do something wrong... :bawling: I know the general policy is to be friendly and welcoming, but I live in a state that could stand a bit of racial unity. :/ What if they just don't like me... :bawling:

Comments

• edited June 2005
    Oooh Sabine, I feel your uncertainty. Maybe you should move to Jacksonville, and we can go together! I would move to where you are but I have 3 kids and that might be kinda hard! ;)

I have some of the same questions as you do. Although I think the school I teach at needs more racial unity than the city itself...then again. The world just needs racial unity. :)

Good luck to us both! :bowdown: :bowdown:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I will tell you first hand, Sabine, that Thai people LOVE EVERYBODY. They do not have the same racial bias that taints americans.

My first temple experience was with a Thai temple. It was a great experience and the friendliness of the monks and the laypeople made all of my fears melt away. :)

Of course, if you're studying Mahayana, maybe a Thai temple isn't the place for you :p

I'm joking - you can learn the basics of meditation from the monks there. They will be more than happy to help you.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I wish you the best on your travels Sabine. Remember you always have a sangha here. :)
  • edited June 2005
    I view your choice to study Mahayana Buddhism is a fantastic one! I myself am partial to the teachings and general attitude of helping yourself to help others. I suppose it's a totally compassionate way of living. Really very beautiful in a world where people our age (im still 17) tend to not care much about others.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Oh, our sangha is full of Buddha-babies! I have to say when the Catholic Church is struggling with the constant downturn in attendance figures in general, and of young people in particular, this is very heartening news... I don't say this to celebrate 'one-upmanship' please believe me. I am happy that Budhdism offers something for the young, the young-at-heart and to all who are curious and seeking.... That may be because Buddhism is constantly evolving and changing, as all things must. The sadness is that the Catholic Church resists change and continues to promote ideas which are sadly so outdated they will be fossils soon.... :(
    Nice to see you all here. keep looking, keep asking, keep probing, stay curious and enjoy....
  • edited June 2005
    You guys with all of your sangha's to choose from! :bawling: so jealous so jealous! But AT LEAST I have this one here! And really I'm actually happy that I found newbuddhist and that you all have so many wonderful choices. Although jacksonville is spread out there seems to be nothing here! Go figure!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Actually here there is no Sangha. There is just some Buddhist center. Cl :) ose enough for me.
  • edited June 2005
    Even a buddhist center would be good. BUT the wonderful Elohim posted a link to a place where I have found in my very own little city by the sea, a SANGHA!! I still can't believe it! If I were dressed a lil' more appropriately I would go and knock on the door! BUT I will drive by as soon as I leave school to see where it is and how far from my house and etc, etc. Thanks Elohim! You're great!
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    federica wrote:
    Oh, our sangha is full of Buddha-babies! I have to say when the Catholic Church is struggling with the constant downturn in attendance figures in general, and of young people in particular, this is very heartening news... I don't say this to celebrate 'one-upmanship' please believe me. I am happy that Budhdism offers something for the young, the young-at-heart and to all who are curious and seeking.... That may be because Buddhism is constantly evolving and changing, as all things must. The sadness is that the Catholic Church resists change and continues to promote ideas which are sadly so outdated they will be fossils soon.... :(
    Nice to see you all here. keep looking, keep asking, keep probing, stay curious and enjoy....
    Ehee. ^_^; *former Catholic*
    But I see your point. Thanks, I'll always try to keep my mind open :bigclap:
    And for anyone that's interested, the name of the temple I'll hopefully be visiting within a few weeks is Wat Santidham. :)
    @ Suenos: I would SO come visit you, but until Sabine gets a car...yeah. :o