Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Under the Influence

edited July 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I just finished viewing Matt's comments on drinking alcohol and it's conflict/non-conflict with Buddhism. Obviously due to the five precepts. By saying what I am about to, or rather, asking, I hope that I do not offend anyone...I am merely trying to find answers to questions that I believe I must ask....and besides, seeing as this site is occupied by such diverse community of people...I hope that I won't be judged too harshly. Anyways...I was going to say that a couple of years ago I started smoking pot...but when my mom found out I stopped...(im sure there are rounds of applaud everywhere). The thing is, the only reason that I stopped was because I felt that it was causing pain to my mother, and adding stress to an already difficult, delicate family situation. I've never been one to over indulge in alcohol or anything like that, I don't get "smash faced" and I've never been "totally baked". I actually enjoyed marijuana very much. I believe that when it's not abused, just like anything else, it can enhance your senses, your thought process, and give you a better, deeper understanding of yourself. Im only saying this becuase I was wondering, if later on, when I am not living at home, I choose to partake in my modest consumption of it again, then what would the karmatic consequences be? I've never hurt anyone while "high", and I've never been premiscuous or out of my right mind. I'm actually a little more alert when "under the influence". But I'm obviously having quite a bit of self-conflict with this issue. It's something that has made me very happy and content in the past, but due to my profound love for Buddhism, would this make me wrong? I don't feel like I was doing anything wrong (except ofcourse for the fact that it's illegal). I don't know if I sound like a silly little stoner now, but I could use some insight.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    like any attachment, this one will only ultimately cause you suffering. You must decide what the consequences will be, not any one of us.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2005
    :( That kinda makes me sad, but it doesn't offend me--thank you for your concern, though. I think you should talk to Elohim, if he doesn't mind...
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Hello ska-buddhi. Such a difficult question to answer. To be honest it does affect your mindfulness and mental phenomena. It may seem to be doing you no harm, and enhancing experiences, but is this really true? Or could it be possibly the enjoyment of it talking? You may be trying to justify your use of it so that you feel less guilt about it. For a Buddhist's practice drug use is something that has to be dropped. Not should, but HAS to be. This is not because of the fact that it IS illegal, DOES destroy certain areas of the brain, but because it can harm your meditaion practice. If you are serious about Buddhism you should refrain from any drug/intoxicant because all of our dukkha is experienced through the ignorance of our minds. This ignorance is like a disease that affects our perception of reality. Our egos tend to tell us that we know what is best for us, but it is only the defilements speaking. Alcohol and drugs cannot cause wisdom to arise. Wisdom, you see, is the cure for our ignorance. Meditation is what the Buddha prescribed for us to use as the medicine that causes wisdom to arise. Meditation should only be done with a clear mind. And as Brian has said, any drug use can become an attachment as well. This attachment is the kamma for more dukkha to arise in the future. I am not trying to say what is "right" in this world and what you are doing is "wrong". I am just saying from a Buddhist stand point that it should be left behind for the benefit of your practice. Trust me, you don't sound silly. When I was younger (not too long ago) I had my own experiences with drugs. I would say the very same things about it not being addictive, making my experiences more alive, making my awareness and senses more acute, etc. I said these things just because I liked to get high. I didn't like to experience life sober after a while. Why not? Because I was afraid of the pain in my life, the unsatisfactoriness of it, the boredom, hell you name it. It just covered up the problem though, it never solved it. After many years of continuing use I discovered that I had to find another way to deal with everything in a more constructive way. That is when I found the teachings of the Buddha and began to practice. I refrain from using anything now to benefit myself as well as those around me that care about me. I hope that you will take what I said into account when you make your decision whether to continue or not.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Since you've already been able to stop, I would suggest that you don't start again, because that part is the hardest part for many people, and you are way ahead of the game if you've already been able to stop.
    edited June 2005
    Very true. The longer you do it the harder it is to live without it.
  • edited June 2005
    I'd like to thank you all so much for your advice. Elohim, I appreciate you're sharing that with me (and anyone else who's read this and has the same predicament). I suppose that if the Buddha's teachings have helped me thus far, without smoking pot, then it can continue that way. I want to devote myself fully to my practice, for the benefit of not only myself, but others too. I see that if I really want to further my growth and development both mentally and spiritually, then it's something that I am going to have to leave behind for good. -Gracias por todo
    edited June 2005
    ska-buddhi wrote:
    I'd like to thank you all so much for your advice. Elohim, I appreciate you're sharing that with me (and anyone else who's read this and has the same predicament). I suppose that if the Buddha's teachings have helped me thus far, without smoking pot, then it can continue that way. I want to devote myself fully to my practice, for the benefit of not only myself, but others too. I see that if I really want to further my growth and development both mentally and spiritually, then it's something that I am going to have to leave behind for good. -Gracias por todo

That statement shows a lot of wisdom. It actually made me smile. I think that is a very skillful choice.
  • edited June 2005
    Just be honest with yourself in regards to WHY you enjoy getting stoned. Be honest with yourself in regards to the implications of smoking dope. You know the risks of the behavior so don't be angry or surprised if your pleasure comes with negative repercussions (ie. being arrested, alienating family or friends, lung cancer, addiction-yes, it IS addictive).
    Basically, if you honestly analyze the situation and are comfortable with your motivation and the possible consequences then enjoy.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    From things I've read lately, it could be something as simple as: no one is forcing you to stop. You're not going to go to Hell if you don't stop. But, why are you doing it? Is there some attachment to it? Do you think the attachment/requirement/need will cause you to keep doing it? Is going through the turmoil of thinking about it, judging it, justifying it, wanting it - worth doing it?

It seems to me that Buddhism teaches things you should do. When you are ready to do them - do them. But in the meantime, Buddhism isn't going to require self-flaggelation on your part to pay penance for your evil or guilt.

Michael