Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

HAIL TO THE NEW CHIEF!

NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `  South Carolina, USA Veteran
edited January 2009 in Buddhism Today
I'm looking for a picture of our new President with a feather in his cap for this caption, but has anyone seen this?

It's from:
http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/excuse_me_ms_magazine_-_but_is_there_a_mr_on_your_cover

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Here's the one I've used on my post-election Obama Tees:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2009
    My heart warms as I listen to the joy and excitement of my USian friends. "We are coming out of an eight-year nightmare," one of them said. Historians of the future will judge but it does feel as though the night is over and dawn is coming.

Along with billions around the world, I shall be glued to my television for the Inauguration. "The hopes and prayers of all the years are met in him tonight".
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2009

Along with billions around the world, I shall be glued to my television for the Inauguration. "The hopes and prayers of all the years are met in him tonight".
    Ditto that!!

I used up half a box of Kleenex on Sunday watching the Inauguration concert on TV from the Lincoln Memorial. It was pretty magnificent.

I'm overwhelmed with hope and joy because of this man and because of what the American people did in electing him. Utterly overwhelmed. I know this is still samsara but the this world seems like a different place.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2009
    Summing up the Bush years: http://harpers.org/archive/2009/01/0082319

Watch the inauguration online (as I plan to - Brian and I don't have a TV connection): http://www.hulu.com/spotlight/obamapresidency
    edited January 2009
    I'm sure that the US-educated members here will know the following but it is well worth reminding ourselves of some wonderful words:

"Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."3 With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."

The final 160 words of Abraham Lincoln's second Inaugural Address.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    For those who would rather not watch the inauguration on Faux News (which is what HULU is broadcasting), you can also watch it live on Avaaz as well as leave a comment for the President. Just go here.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST! THANK BUDDHA, FREE AT LAST!

...and the whole world was watching...

Palzang
  • edited January 2009
    :usflag: :bowdown: :woowoo: :rocker:
  • edited January 2009
    So is it safe to say that America is NOT a racist country anymore? ;)
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited January 2009
    So is it safe to say that America is NOT a racist country anymore? ;)

Not at all, there are still racists to be found under various rocks in this country. But I believe their numbers are decreasing. Otherwise, in my humble opinion, the election of President Obama probably would not have happened.;)
    edited January 2009
    As a fan of The West Wing, I was fascinated by the list of President Obama's ne senior staff. The ethnic mix is a wonderful statement of the USA-as-a-melting-pot image. We shall not have abandoned racism until we stop obsessing about it. We remain attached (by attraction or aversion) from the notion. These steps towards liberation from racism, sexism and homophobia (Bishop Gene Robinson was at the Inauguration as a guest but didn't get to say the prayer) send out a signal and, however symbolic, are signs of change - for the better, we all pray.