Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

OSCAR TALK ANYONE?

NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `  South Carolina, USA Veteran
edited March 2009 in Arts & Writings
I'm not in the mood this year. Reason: I've just seen a movie too recently released that it will have to wait until next year even to be nominated.

But what do you think about this year's movies?

The movie that has pushed all the others out of my thinking?

The Reader

I just can't get this profound movie off my mind, a full 32 hrs later. Has anyone seen it?

C'mon!

It has meaning on so many levels. I will definitely have to see this film again before I dare write even one word about it.

Enjoy!

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2009
    Iahven't seen the film, but read the book which is wondeful. It does, as you say Nirvy, raise some really excruciating questions and fits so well into our need to understand how a nation 'just like us' could drag ordinary people into repulsive acts. And how individuals can be more ashamed of personal lacks, such as being illiterate, than of causing deaths of the innocent.

It raises, once again, the whole question of the morality of refusing the 'Nurnberg defence'. Very appropriate in a world where Other Ranks are still ordered to undertake inhumane and (apparently) unlawful acts against prisoners.

Apart from that, the book is beautifully writen and skillfully translated.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2009
    Let me chime in to say I haven't seen it either! I'd like to, but no money to go to the movies right now. The other movie I really, really want to see is "Waltz with Bashir", an Israeli animated movie about ex-soldiers in the IDF who served in Lebanon in the early 80s and now can't remember what they did. Supposed to be very powerful. I'm going to go, it's just trying to get all the people who want to see it together at one time is majorly difficult. Sort of like herding cats...

Palzang
  • edited February 2009
    I havn't been out to a movie in ages. I wait for the DVD and watch it at home. I read alot. What Rashid Khalidi doesn't want you to know, my-oh-my...:eek:
  • edited February 2009
    I don't see movies until they come out on TV.

We can't go and see them in the cinema over here because the Old Feller doesn't understand them and as he says, he can pay lots of money to not understand or wait til they are on the small screen and not understand them for nothing.

Bit of a one hand clapping there I think
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2009
    Maybe I'm just a dinosaur, but I HATE lite beer and like my movies fresh.

Why don't people just drink half a real beer, rather than subject themselves to beer light? I just don't understand. When they stop making the real stuff I'm gonna go gung-ho for Prohibition.

The same thing with movies. You go to see them soon after they're released at a place optimally designed for viewing. It's a cultural experience. Laughing at a really funny line is Not adding your own soundtrack. It's just part of the movie theater experience.

I saw FARGO some years back at an early-release at an arts cinema in Charlotte, as I now live near there. Although in a way I'd rather have been a "fly on the wall" in a theater in my native Sioux Falls or in Minneapolis, seeing it in public in the Norsky-clueless South was still better than watching it sequestered at home. (Shellfish?)

Seeing a new release in a movie theater the first time is not a thing to be underrated. A movie not worth going to some trouble to schedule for and waiting in some kind of line for is just not worth much to me at all. Unless, of course, it's an oldie! But then, you don't even need a big screen.
  • edited February 2009
    Live theatre is fun. Zappa does Zappa, that sort of stuff.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2009
    I'm so with you, Nirvy. I used to LOVE seeing movies in the theatres as soon as they were released. It was exciting and nothing beats that huge screen and audience. Loved it!!

Can't go anymore 'cuz of the disability but if (when) it gets better the second thing I'm going to do is go see a HUGE movie. The first thing I'm going to do is go riding. :)

I watched the Oscars as I do every year even though I hadn't seen any of the nominees. The show was great and I was very happy Sean Penn won for Milk. I'm so glad that film was made.
  • edited March 2009
    Brigid wrote: »

Can't go anymore 'cuz of the disability but if (when) it gets better the second thing I'm going to do is go see a HUGE movie. The first thing I'm going to do is go riding. :)

Cycling? I haven't been able to cycle for a year now because of a bad back. Before that I was cycling to work every day and going for rides on the weekend. I'm hoping I can eventually get back to riding a little... but old age sickness and death may have something else to say about that. :grumble: <--- me suffering... lol

Anyway, at the risk of hijacking this thread, I just saw Slumdog Millionaire and whilst I thought it was a good movie, I really didn't think it was worth 8 Oscars. :confused:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Vangelis wrote: »
    Cycling? I haven't been able to cycle for a year now because of a bad back. Before that I was cycling to work every day and going for rides on the weekend. I'm hoping I can eventually get back to riding a little... but old age sickness and death may have something else to say about that. :grumble: <--- me suffering... lol

Anyway, at the risk of hijacking this thread, I just saw Slumdog Millionaire and whilst I thought it was a good movie, I really didn't think it was worth 8 Oscars. :confused:
    Sorry, Evan. I wasn't very clear there. I meant horseback riding. The fact that I'm unable to ride has made me ache to do so. I wasn't even riding regularly before I got injured.

It's just that living out here on the farm and driving by so many beautiful farms with gorgeous horses in the pastures fills me with such a desire to go riding. At the same time I cringe when I think about the kind of pain it would cause me if I did so right now. Not that I could even use my left leg to get up on a horse in the first place. But the way a horse moves would be exactly the kind of thing that would kill my back. Yet I still want to ride. Almost desperately. I expect it's just a case of wanting to do something precisely because I can't.

When we first bought this farm back in '72 hardly anyone out here kept horses. It was mostly a milk cow farming community. But now people have llamas and sheep and goats and tons and tons of beautiful horses. There's even a woman on the next road who is rescuing the unwanted race horses from Montreal and other areas of Quebec now that horse racing has been banned in that province. She's taking care of over 100 horses at any given time and giving them away to good homes for free as long as the people can prove to her satisfaction that they can care for the horse for the rest of its natural life. When my folks told me about the woman I asked, "Does that mean I can have my pony now?"
  • edited March 2009
    Did anyone see Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino" this year? I thought it deserved an Oscar and was a bit sad when Clint wasn't even nominated for best actor.