Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

An excerpt...

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2009
    Thank you for the link, Ypip. It makes good reading.

Do you know a wonderful book, by a Quaker, called Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster?

Celebration of Discipline

I notice that Rev. Meiten uses Christian texts as well, quoting Matthew (13:45) on the "pearl of great price" which costs us "not less than everything" as Eliot puts it. There is a wonderful short piece on this text in Harry A. Williams collection The True Wilderness which may be in your local library. If it isn't, I suggest you go to your nearest Christian bookshop, locate thye book and read this short piece. He ends with these words:
    There is nothing in this world or the next, absolutely nothing, which cannot, and will not, be turned into the valid currency we need to buy the one pearl of great price. That is what is meant when we say that we are redeemed.
    The True Wilderness H. A. Williams (Mowbray. 1995)

And, of course, once you have sold all you have and possess the pearl, you have given up everything that is usually considered important to daily life. But, as Rev. Meiden says, you will have gained something even more valuable.
  • edited February 2009
    :)
    No, I didn't know about that wonderful book by a Quaker Simon, thanks for the related reading, seriously.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2009
    A tear and a prayer.

Thankyou, friend.