Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Newbi Question - What is the purpose of this site?

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited July 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I'm starting down the road to Buddhism. I've always known about it through my life doing martial arts, being curious about Eastern religeons and such.

So, being that I'm on the road and that Buddhism allows for questioning why things are... or some such thing...

What is the purpose of this site?

It seems like there are as many variations of Buddhism as there are Christianity. There are even factions of Buddhism that look down on other factions of Buddhism... oddly enough like Christianity.

Then I see people giving each other advice on how the "could" possibly do or change things. What allows you to provide direction to other people? Is that the actual essense of Buddhism? That a "person" isn't "ordained" in this or that and it's more of a religeon based upon finding yourself and how you can cope with things?
Like with eating meat or drinking alcohol. If Buddha said we're not supposed to do that - and he was actually "enlightened" who are we, being unenlightened ones, to give advice contrary to what Buddha said?
Does Buddhism allow for this change in doctrine? Does Buddhism evolve and change for each and every person? I mean, I could see this in a way. People that are Episcolpaleon (sp?) are following a religeon that was created because a king of England wanted a divorce and the Pope wouldn't give it to him. So, he made up his own religeon that allowed for divorce without approval from the vatican.

I'm just curious. It seems like there is a lot of advice here - which is great. But I see some respones to peoples questions that basically make it sound like "yes, you shouldn't do that. but don't worry, you can stop when you feel it's time to stop. when you're ready... you'll know it" but that just sounds like you're enabling someone to continue what they're doing.

But on the other hand, since Buddhism doesn't bury people in guilt like many other religeons - maybe that's the whole purpose of it. Allowing people to grow and become better without being threatened, brow-beat, or causing them to harbour resentment - which ultimately doesn't lead to anything positive.

What are your thoughts?

Michael

Comments

• edited July 2005
    Hello Michael,

IMHO Buddhism is like water filling a vessel. It allows it to take the shape of the container it is filling. Buddhism is a philosophy and/or a religion that rather than tell you to believe this or have faith in that allows you to see for yourself the Dharma (truth). The different teachings of the Buddha were aimed at all different classes of people. I have read on more than one occasion that he would teach according to the level of the audience. In some cases breaking through the "educated", i.e. blinded, mind required different ways than teaching someone of no formal education. The conditions, judgments and causations of each of our minds must be addressed in markedly different ways in order to break the grip of the conditioned mind. Realizing that Buddhism is a teaching of discovery of what is already there, not one of creating something, is an important aspect. We are all born with Buddha nature. The path for us is to uncover the true nature of our being. So the point of this site is to share experience and help clarify the teachings of the Buddha. Having a world based sangha to share with and learn from is a great blessing for us. Used wisely, any one at any time may turn the right phrase or share the right teaching to help you and I find our true nature. May we all be so blessed

^gassho^
  • edited July 2005
    The path for us is to uncover the true nature of our being.

So the point of this site is to share experience and help clarify the teachings of the Buddha.

Having a world based sangha to share with and learn from is a great blessing for us. Used wisely, any one at any time may turn the right phrase or share the right teaching to help you and I find our true nature. May we all be so blessed

Indeed - there is also the benefit of 'meeting' virtually in a community where you can feel at home and welcome to share and learn.

For this we are all blessed!

Welcome Michael.

A deep bow,

Dave
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:

I'm just curious. It seems like there is a lot of advice here - which is great. But I see some respones to peoples questions that basically make it sound like "yes, you shouldn't do that. but don't worry, you can stop when you feel it's time to stop. when you're ready... you'll know it" but that just sounds like you're enabling someone to continue what they're doing.

Michael

We recognise first and foremost that everyone is an individual and as such has a right to think, speak and behave in any way they choose. However, What happens is that, in exercising their feedom of choice, it follows that they must also be completely open and willing to accept the consequences of their thoughts, words and actions. You simply cannot have one without the other. What we as fellow Buddhists do is steer as far away as possible friom speaking, acting or behaving in a judgemental critical manner. We offer one another the thoughts words and deeds which through our own experience, we have learned to be useful, beneficial and constructive. We attempt to exercise Universal Compassion (Everyone is a mirror of you) and Unconditional Love (this is me warts and all) and just do our best. The gift is given. What the recipient chooses to do with it is up to them.... :)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    We are all Buddhas underneath. We have to experience life to truly be able to peel away the layers te reveal our true selfs. /a
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm really not trying to be difficult here... honestly.

I've always wondered about taking literal statements from the person who made those statement (Buddha, Jesus, Allah, etc.) and then having everyone else interpret those statements as they see fit. I've seen it happen with Christianity my entire life.

So, when I see people here saying "should I eat meat?" because of the issue of "living beings" - then I see someone else say "i can't give up steak - but i'm a buddhist"... well, how does that work? Is Buddhism one of those things that there really aren't any doctrines that MUST be followed - but if you don't follow them - you're just hindering your own enlightenment? I mean, Buddhism doesn't threaten us with Hell if we don't do exactly what someone says - so there is no threat, no heavenly reward - just the knowing of your own enlightenment?

Michael
    edited July 2005
    Oh yeah... and when someone says "i can't give up meat" - there are a lot of people (but not all) that basicaly make it sound like "well, that's cool too!"

But can it all be cool?

It alsmost sounds like a choice between do you want to reach enlightenment or not?
    edited July 2005
    All good questions. Well I myself cannot eat vegetables. I am allergic to them and fruit also. I believe in an afterlife but I think it is a place of happiness. It is a sort of heaven. I have always believed in the the fact that plants are life, too. The whole reason A lot of Buddhists do not eat meat is not because it is said they are not allowed to. It is said that animals should not be killed specifically for them. What does that mean? Well I supposed if you find something dead then go ahead and eat it. I would even go a step further and say what we buy at the store isn't specifically killed for us. Maybe in a way it is. I don't have all the answers. And no it's just not "cool" to do the wrong things. We are all responsible in our Karmha. A lot of people in say "in this life or the next". Does reincarnation exist? Who really knows. I believe it might. I figure what's the point in spending eternity floating around with a smile on our face. Sounds boring to me.

I also noticed youy talk about reward. That is a form of greed. A lot of the rewards in the bible focus on man's greed. Like if you are more faithful in life you will own more lands after the end of the world. Buddhists don't need anything as far as "material".
    edited July 2005
    See, that is an interesting point.

I've known idiot Christians who would just say, "Well, you're not supposed to eat meat. I don't care if eatin' veggies will kill ya. Ya. Cain't. Eat Meat."

Or they would judge you as being wicked or deserving death if you can't eat veggies.

So, then how would Buddha or a Buddhist comes to terms with the fact that you have to have something to substain yourself otherwise you, as a living being, will suffer too!

Your points on "reward" were very interesting too. I can think of Christian scriptures that deal with "rewards", "your reward in heaven", etc. Very interesting points.

Michael
    edited July 2005
    Well thank you. The fact that we have to take life to sustain our own is a question that has been asked before. Not much we can do about it. A lot of Buddhists thank the animal or even the plant for giving it's life to sustain ours. It is the way of things. :bowdown:
  • edited July 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Oh yeah... and when someone says "i can't give up meat" - there are a lot of people (but not all) that basicaly make it sound like "well, that's cool too!"

But can it all be cool?

It alsmost sounds like a choice between do you want to reach enlightenment or not?

Michael,
    As I have posted here before. The conscious and clear decision about how you follow and live the precepts is yours and yours alone. You have to penetrate the meaning of each precept as it pertains to your life. If someone were to badger you or scare you into following a rule, even if you followed that rule you would not be "moral", you would simply be obedient. When you dig deep and really understand, in your own thoughts and words, what the precepts mean, then you will truly live them without conflict. Did you happen to read the "to meat or not to meat" thread. If not please do so and look at the Cheri Huber link. She basically says to carry it until you cannot carry it any more. For then how could you ever pick it up again? It is a hard thing to understand until you can really see where your suffering comes from and then to understand how the Buddha teaches to end the suffering. As Federica says its simple! But definitely not easy. Just one simple moment is all we have. Find the peace in that moment.

^gassho^