Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha

edited April 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Were there any other buddhas before him?

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    In the Vajrayana tradition it is said that Shakyamuni was the fourth Buddha of this fortunate eon (or fifth, depending on who you listen to). It is also said there will be 1002 Buddhas which appear in this eon. These are universal Buddhas, which means they appear when the Dharma has disappeared from the world and teach it once again. By the way, the 1002nd Buddha of this eon, it is said, will be the being known to us as Dudjom Rinpoche, a truly sublime and marvelous teacher who is presently a young boy in, I think, Tibet.

Palzang
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Yes. Theravada recognizes at least 27 Buddhas prior to Siddhattha Gotama.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    In the Vajrayana tradition it is said that Shakyamuni was the fourth Buddha of this fortunate eon (or fifth, depending on who you listen to). It is also said there will be 1002 Buddhas which appear in this eon. These are universal Buddhas, which means they appear when the Dharma has disappeared from the world and teach it once again. By the way, the 1002nd Buddha of this eon, it is said, will be the being known to us as Dudjom Rinpoche, a truly sublime and marvelous teacher who is presently a young boy in, I think, Tibet.

Palzang

Does this mean that the eon is ending, Palzang-la?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009

Does this mean that the eon is ending, Palzang-la?

Au contraire, mon frere!

It means the aeon is still young, if you consider that Shakyamuni was the 4th Buddha of it, or even the 28th. When I say that Dudjom Rinpoche will be the 1002nd Buddha of this aeon (kalpa), I mean not in this lifetime, but many, many, many lifetimes from now.

Let me also differentiate between the type of Buddha we're talking about here and your average garden variety Buddha. Buddha, as you no doubt know, simply means one who is awake, awake to one's own true nature. There have been many Buddhas who awakened following the path laid out by Shakyamuni Buddha. But Shakyamuni was what I would call a universal Buddha (not sure if that's the correct term or not). Such a Buddha is one who appears at a time when there is no Dharma, or the Dharma has disappeared and been forgotten. So they are the Buddhas who bring Dharma into the world (or back into the world, if you will). That's what I'm talking about when I say 1002 Buddhas of this aeon.

Palzang