Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the new routine

edited May 2009 in Sanghas
I've just bought a new house and had planned on converting a large walk-in closet for use as a small zendo, but got to thinking...

Why not use the closet for a closet, and convert the living room into a zendo slash contemplative tea room instead? (And by tea room, I mean I do this whole ritualized matcha preparation process.)

The picture below isn't the whole room, but I think it conveys the basic aesthetic at work and shows my personal practice spot.

Photo_050609_001.jpg

I've been sitting twice a day, with prostrations in the morning and a slightly longer form including walking in the evening.

And I've begun participating regularly with the local Soto group when they meet three times a week (plus about 15 hours this past weekend if I count right).

Although I've been sitting solo for years with the occasional group participation and even full-day practice "retreats", this routine seems to be clicking better than all that.

I just thought it might be pleasant to share.

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Thanks. I like the arrangement. Hope it continues to work out for you.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2009
    padre wrote: »
    I've just bought a new house and had planned on converting a large walk-in closet for use as a small zendo, but got to thinking...

Why not use the closet for a closet, and convert the living room into a zendo slash contemplative tea room instead? (And by tea room, I mean I do this whole ritualized matcha preparation process.)

(. . .)

Just a question, out of curiosity...
    If you have visitors, or callers, presumably you have a different room for 'entertaining'? Or do you bring guests into this environment?
    I ask, because I would love such a room, and my 'Altar' is in my living room, which is also multi-purpose.

Lovely picture, Thanks!
  • edited May 2009
    If I have visitors who are not visiting in a manner well-suited to the "tea room", there's room to hang out in the breakfast room, craft room, back porch/yard, or either bedroom (which is where the TVs & internet go). Just depends on what people are trying to do, really.

I don't have a ban on people visiting in the tea room, as long as people are having a good time.
    federica wrote: »
    Just a question, out of curiosity...
    If you have visitors, or callers, presumably you have a different room for 'entertaining'? Or do you bring guests into this environment?
    I ask, because I would love such a room, and my 'Altar' is in my living room, which is also multi-purpose.

Lovely picture, Thanks!
  • edited May 2009
    Very nice. I wish my apartment had the space for something like that.
  • edited May 2009
    I've recruited my mom to help me with zabuton production, as I only have two, but have three zafu(s?), a bench, a smile cushion, a few elevation cushions (for those few extra inches), and a wedge (almost all of which we made ourselves).

I think a cushion for the bench may be in order, too. Once you get started....
  • edited May 2009
    I've recruited my mom to help me with zabuton production, as I only have two, but have three zafu(s?), a bench, a smile cushion, a few elevation cushions (for those few extra inches), and a wedge (almost all of which we made ourselves).

I think a cushion for the bench may be in order, too. Once you get started....

Once you pop...you can't stop? :lol:
  • edited May 2009
    Pretty much. heh
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2009

The picture below isn't the whole room, but I think it conveys the basic aesthetic at work and shows my personal practice spot.

Photo_050609_001.jpg

I've been sitting twice a day, with prostrations in the morning and a slightly longer form including walking in the evening.

And I've begun participating regularly with the local Soto group when they meet three times a week (plus about 15 hours this past weekend if I count right).

Although I've been sitting solo for years with the occasional group participation and even full-day practice "retreats", this routine seems to be clicking better than all that.

Beautiful. Lovely.

Thanks for sharing. Gassho, gassho.