Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Emptiness of all things

edited July 2005 in Buddhism Basics

somthing for you to ponder comic!

We talk of the emptiness or non-existence of all our perceived things. I have been sitting with this for several days now (in-between work and family of course!)

Our minds can only perceive things through duality i.e. light/dark, heat/cold etc. The teaching of the Buddha says that anything manifested (created) is subject to change and is therefore impermanent. Through science we learn that there is no such thing as darkness, darkness is merely the absence of light. Light is manifested and is impermanent. We can only perceive light in contrast to "darkness" but darkness does not exist......if it was all light we would not see it because there would be nothing to compare it to. The same applies to heat and no-heat (cold). As I sit and meditate with this I find that this is the same (maybe), as "we" are perceived by one another in contrast to...? Emptiness? Is this the emptiness we seek? How can we seek what we are in direct contrast to? When we seek emptiness we could not find it as long as we were present. Hmmm I'm losing my train... lol

We exist in a world of duality and subject object relationships. To remove these bonds is to find emptiness or Nirvana. The more of these false realities we can remove the closer we get. One final thought to take you there. The infinite vastness of space is only a perception of the mind. If we were the only object in space it would not be big nor small it only appears so when we add something else so we can say "oh, its a long way from here to there"

Have a wonderfull moment! :bowdown:

^Gassho^

Comments

• edited July 2005
    I read your post with this in mind:

One of the official minor downfalls of a Mahayana Bodhisattva (in training) is trying to explain emptiness to someone who could misunderstand it.

"form is emptiness and emptiness is form"

but

"form is form and emptiness is emptiness"

Non-concepts that really REALLY confuse westerners.

What cultural backgroud did you have before your first breath?

;)
  • edited July 2005
    I am not sure I understand it either. Just expressing my thoughts so far. I supose my cultural background before my first breath was the same as yours. The culture of emptiness. lol

^gassho^
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Well I have pondered for a few minutes. LOL

Duality? hmmm.... The opposite of empty is full. Through our practice towards emptiness we reach the fullfillment we are looking for. Can these 2 exist at the same time within us? I don't know. I am off to work. I will ponder some more. Thank you Wolf for giving me something to do whie at work today. :bigclap: :bowdown:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Emptiness may be better understood by people if you give them a word as an example.

Lets take tea.

Think about the word tea. Clear your mind and really look at it in all possible ways. It looks like "tea "and it has a sound associated with it. Now we know that this word means a hot drink made form plant leaves, but the letters are made up, the sound is made up, and the word itself is made up. It doesn't mean anything to someone who cannot speak English.

茶 Now does this character mean anything to you? It's cha. In Japanese it's a word. It has a sound associated with it, as well as a meaning. Well, in Japanese, cha means a hot drink made from plant leaves. If you do not speak Japanese though, it doesn't mean anything.

Both of these words are trying to represent the same thing, the same idea. No matter what you call it - tea, 茶, cha, etc. - the hot drink from plant leaves is still a hot drink from plant leaves. In the ultimate sense all of these words are empty. We percieve them to "be" and to have a "meaning", but we placed those meanings there. They are naturally empty of any such thing.

If you think and meditate about this often enough you will begin to realize how empty words truly are. Then, when you are ready, try to apply this practice to objects, ideas, and even people.

Empty does not mean non-existant. To me empty means "without my perceptions attached to it".
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Cha is also the Chinese word for tea. ;)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    (I apologize if you cannot read the Japanese character. Some computers cannot show it, and it appears as a square.)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I belive 'chai' is the indian word... also a hot spiced milky drink that has become popular in western world. YUM.
  • edited July 2005
    I read your post with this in mind:

One of the official minor downfalls of a Mahayana Bodhisattva (in training) is trying to explain emptiness to someone who could misunderstand it.

"form is emptiness and emptiness is form"

but

"form is form and emptiness is emptiness"

Non-concepts that really REALLY confuse westerners.

What cultural backgroud did you have before your first breath?

;)

Perhaps right understanding would be "form is emptiness and emptiness is form" AND "form is form and emptiness is emptiness." There is no "but"...

If A=B and B=A... why would A not still equal A, and B not still equal B? Why is this element difficult to understand?
  • edited July 2005
    Good question sentimental. We must be careful tho assuming that people actualy know anything. I have on occasion been very dismayed to find that in assuming the knowledge of another to be the same as my own, great miscomunication results. My experience sets the foundation for my knowledge and yours for you. And then we step into the most dangerous trap of all: "I know". Turn out the lights, close the door my mind is now closed. :banghead: Whack! With a Zen stick! Trying to get it open again! :eek2:

^gassho^