Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nirv's sig quote by Mohammad

ECMECM
edited June 2009 in General Banter
Hi Nirvana,
Do you know where your quote - "None of you is true until you desire for all the human family what you desire for yourselves.— Muhammed" comes from in Muhammed's writings (I would like to use it, but I need to cite it)?

ECM

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Sorry, dear ECM, for getting back to you so late. I did not see this until today. Actually this Hadith is usually translated in terms of Belief, which concept is so mightily important to most Muslims.

The Arabic is most commonly translated: "No one is a true believer unless he desires for his brother what he desires for himself."

It's from the Al-Bukhari and Muslim hadiths.

For further illucidation, See http://www.scribd.com/doc/4663059/ and click on FLASH
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Is that similar to the edict: Do unto others as you would have others do unto you, Nirvana?

Or as we could say in Buddhism compassion and non-separation?

_/\_
    edited June 2009
    And I might just say - TRUTH.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Truth would be good, but it's relative.... It needs elaboration, because fundamentally 'your Truth' may not be that of others....
    Jeesh, I remember a 235-page discussion on another forum on what Truth was... In the end, Mods had to close it because discussions simply meandered and repeated.....everyone had lost track of previous comments... it was simply spiralling round and round the same comment, when all was said and done....

"Who knows?"

To my (inexperienced, green and ignorant) mind, the only Truths I have found, that seem to be entrenched in indisputable fact, are the Four Noble Truths (encompassing the Noble Eightfold path).

Hence, in my humble opinion, Truth may well be apposite, but Mindfulness seems to cover all the bases, for me.....
    ;)
    edited June 2009
    Truth was the entry way into my practice.

"If, everyone believes something different, and some will even die for those 'Truths', what then exactly is Truth? What is Truth?!"
    - I had shrilled so many years ago.

Incidentally I have heard - but have not confirmed/know - that Dharma equates to Truth.

Thanks for the dialogue.

Blessings _/\_

Abu
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2009
    There's only one Truth for me and that is Love.

Love is embracing things as they are and for what they are. Love doesn't want so much to change the way everybody else is, but rather to learn the art of responding to their needs and offerings in appropriate and empowering ways.

What people mean by Dharma or dharma I don't quite understand. If by the capitalized word they mean all that Buddha taught, I'll not argue, because I find great devotion and compassion there. That's love and I worship it. Just thinking on the reality of Lord Buddha and his beneficence and teaching makes the arteries in my scalp tingle.

If one refers to dharma as simply the way things really are before we start appraising relative worths and such, then too I will not argue. To stop and meditate on the reality of a thing can pull the heart right out of your chest —not to mention people. How wonderful life is to have such treasures available to be tapped or to be known deeply and intimately! What Divinity hath wrought such a Day
    where true friendship can abide and make for us
    a sort of unending day, a day that glows
    and melts us till we surrender to our chiefest joys,
    till we are melted and True, come unto ourselves.

None of you is true until you desire for all the human family what you desire for yourselves.
    — Muhammed

Truly, anyone who is all for himself and would rejoice in the hardships or troubles of another is not of the Truth. Instead, he is given over to some nether-worldly accounting scheme that re-presents things in a negative account.

O, to be always generous with our well-wishing to all! And to be much more watchful of the darkened tendencies of our own minds, so that we would thereby take instruction onto ourselves not to mind much the occasional pettinesses visited on us by others.

edited June 2009
    That's very nice - thankyou Nirvana.