Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Post meditation

edited July 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Is there one thing that's best to do after a meditation session? Maybe have a quiet time for a while?

In the past couple of days I've meditated and then practiced a presentation I have to give that is high energy and physical. Does that negate the calming effects of meditation?

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I myself look around at things and realize the difference of my perceptions.
  • edited July 2005
    Doing a little bit of Yoga is a wonderful thing to do after meditating! Even if you just do a few sun salutations, it is wonderful and very energizing.
  • edited July 2005
    Hi Yogamama,

Oh, I agree. I've been training hard for a martial arts DVD shoot next week and when I finish I plan to get back to doing yoga a couple times a week. Few things mellow me out as much.

This is probably the wrong thread for this, but one thing has always bugged me about yoga. No teacher I have ever practiced with (actually, there have been only two) and no video that I have seen, ever offers a warm-up period before engaging in the postures. If I'm right, why is that?
  • edited July 2005
    Well, a "warm up" in yoga is usually a few sun salutations and a few of the easier poses. What type of warm up are you looking for? If you went to a teacher that immediately started doing some difficult poses like a Bakasana (Crane Pose) without some nice, slow stretching poses, then I would be a bit concerned!
  • edited July 2005
    Thanks for the reply.

I've trained in and taught the martial arts for over 40 years and have always considered a good warm-up critical. Arguably, the two leading causes of injury in any physical activity are insufficient warm-up and overtraining.

None of the videos I have even mention warming up. While some of them might start out easy, I think there still should be some mention of warming up a little better before you begin poses that place a lot of body weight on one leg or even one arm.

Since I've never seen this mentioned, I thought maybe it was a no-no in yoga.

I always make a point of warming up on my own.
  • edited July 2005
    I spoke with my Yoga teacher about your question this weekend and she said that Sun Salutations are usually considered the "warm-up" part of any yoga routine. Does that help you out?
  • edited July 2005
    Hi YM,

I think so. Personally, I would do a little more (just because I've seen so many people hurt needlessly over the years. Or, as you suggest, start our VERY slowly and not go too deeply (strenuously) into a pose until your body is ready.

I saw an article somewhere recently about all the injuries in yoga. I didn't read the whole piece so I don't know if lack of warm-up was the reason.

I remember a few years back when dance aerobics was a rapidly growing fad and people were getting hurt left and right. Poor instruction was the cause there as well as poor warm-up.

Thanks for looking into that. I hope to get back into it in a couple of weeks.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    From what I gather, injury can happen regardless of the sport/dance/practise. If it is done wrong or you are not properly warmed up you will get hurt. And yes, poor instruction is a big one. Also, home DVDs if the person has had no initial training to get started, can be terrible.