Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Life Taken By Vegetarians

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited August 2005 in Buddhism Today
This is not aimed at vegetarians who only eat non chemical veggies that are hand picked.

I was tlaking to a Buddhist friend of mine today and we got into the discussion of eating meat. He made a very good point of all the vegetarians who eat vegetables made from the big companies. They use these big plows that dig up the ground. He pointed out the fact that millions of beings are killed when this happens. Millions of insects and animals that live underground are swept away by these machines.

He said that killing one cow to feed a family for a month is better than eating vegetables form the store that killed thousands or even millions of insects to harvest. What do you all think?

Comments

• emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I really do not think one could live their entire life without taking another. An so long as consumers rely on industry for the bulk of their food, there is no way around killing innocent insects. It would be so so costly, although that is not the point. Until people return to being totally self sufficient for food and grow all their own produce it could not happen.
    In my humble opinion, that is...
  • edited July 2005
    I agree with emmak - it is darn near impossible for anyone to live their life without killing any insects. What about driving in your car?? Think of how many insects you kill daily by driving. All we can do is try our hardest to respect all living things!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Every moment of our lives is spent killing. We breathe - some airborne bacteria get caught in our nostrils and die. Our blood cells kill parasites. Our movement through the air invariably kills some microscopic living thing. We step on the blade of grass, etc.

Do we intend these things? Do we act intentionally to cause the suffering of the paramecium? Do we revel in the pain we cause the ant we just unknowingly crushed?
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    So you agree with frien then people? Killing one cow is better than killing thousands or even millions of insects? Does this mean all you vegetarians who buy from the store are going to stop eating vegetables and start eating meat?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    This is an important question for you, Comic, isn't it? What part of it is the matter that engages your attention?

I wonder whether you are astounded by the profusion of life that surrounds us and, awe-struck by this, you understand the sacredness. Within that vision, the very thought of taking or causing to be taken away any part of that life seems sacrilege.

You may wish to consider this: nothing is lost in this universe. As far as we can understand, it is a closed system within which all elements, constructed from a multitude of a few fundamental particles, do not disappear but change their nature. In Buddhist thought, each individual mind is, itself, a construct which reposes on its own fundamental 'particles' which are called Clear View and other names. This, just like than physical/energy particles, simply arises in different forms over and over again.

In an earlier thread, I asked you about Life and what that means to you. If I read you correctly, you situate Life at a very basic level, as an animating principle. At that level, I would suggest, Life cannot be 'taken' or destroyed; it can only change how it manifests.

Thus, life feeds life because life can only arise from itself.
    edited July 2005
    Well yes it is a very important question for me Simon. I feel that vegetarians forget about a lot of things. If we are not supposed to take life then why is it vegetarians say it is ok to kill the insects in the fields when the veggies are harvested. It is the same issue as when people vote for the death penalty. They are responsible for taking of lives. Yes I know we must take life ot sustain ours but wouldn't it be better to just take one instead of countless others? I feel a lot (not all) vegetarians turn their noses up on us meat eaters. They say they eat vegetables so no animals get killed. But we know this is not true. Isn't it better to only tale the life we have to instead of taking more life we don't? Why do so many Buddhists eat vegetables knowing this information? At least the ones that come from these types of farms. Please help me to understand why taking so many lives is ok and tkaing only one animal is not?
  • edited July 2005
    So you agree with frien then people? Killing one cow is better than killing thousands or even millions of insects? Does this mean all you vegetarians who buy from the store are going to stop eating vegetables and start eating meat?

No, I am not going to start eating meat! Biting into a piece of animal flesh grosses me out more than you could ever imagine! YUCK! :)
    edited July 2005
    But I remember you saying you only eat natural veggies that are hand picked or am I mistaken?

We are talking about the taking of life here not the fact of eating meat or veggies. That is the point I am making.
  • edited July 2005
    Comic - please don't think that all vegetarians turn their noses up at "meat eaters" or think that they are any better than non-vegetarians. I certianly am not that kind of person. I could care less if you eat meat or not. I don't judge people for eating meat at all. Just because I am a vegetarain, doesn't mean that I think everyone should be a vegetarian.
  • edited July 2005
    But I remember you saying you only eat natural veggies that are hand picked or am I mistaken?

We are talking about the taking of life here not the fact of eating meat or veggies. That is the point I am making.

I do eat organic fruits and veggies, yes, but I buy those products from a natural food store, so I have no idea how many bugs those farmers kill with their machines. The only veggies that I eat that I know insects are not killed in the process of picking them are the ones I get from my own backyard!
    edited July 2005
    I know you don't. If you read my post again you will see I said a lot (not all). :)

I am just trying to point out a different point of view. I have had to spend all my life eating meat. I don't really know any other diet. I can eat breads but they cause me to gain too much weight. I have had people tell me how bad I eat but the thing is I have always had to be very mindful of my diet. I also noticed most average people only eat vegetables when they are on their hamburgers.
  • edited July 2005
    I have read research that shows plants feel pain through a primitive nervous system. Now if they could only learn to duck when the scythe is swung...
  • edited July 2005
    Comic - Can you eat grains/seeds?

Quinoa can provide you with all the amino acids you'll ever need.
    edited July 2005
    Yes I am fortunate to be able to eat grain and seeds.
  • edited July 2005
    Then you could, in theory, cut out meat and survive on the 'mother grain' of the incas: Quinoa.
    edited July 2005
    Now what is that exactly?
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I am a vegetarian first and foremost because I don't like the taste of meat. I realise that me choosing not to eat meat is not really saving any animals, because the next person will eat it. IMHO humans need to eat a varied diet to attain all the nutrients they need to live, and if this includes meat then so be it. What would happen if the whole world turned vegetarian? There would be way too many animals. In Australia, there are regular culls of kangaroos because they are 'pests' and eat and ruin crops, costing farmers millions of dollars. This may not be ethically correct, but what is the alternative? Let the kangas feast away and Australia support overseas economy by importing the grains we need to live? It would cost us a fortune and kill our economy.
    I think I have gone off track. Oops.
  • edited July 2005
    Now what is that exactly?

"Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is not a true cereal grain, but rather the botanical fruit of an herb plant. It is treated as a grain in cooking. The grains are small yellow flattened spheres, approximately 1.5 to 2 mm in diameter. When cooked, the germ coils into a small "tail" that lends a pleasant crunch. The leaves of the quinoa plant can also be eaten. "

We eat it all the time in our house - it is really good. And super easy to make.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I read somewhere, once, and I can't remember where it was, that!:

A human, on the average eats about 10 to 15 spiders in their lifetime.

Ever wake up with those bug bites from leaving the windows open in the summer. Creepy crawlys lurking all over the place? Lookind for some place warm to hide? Then something ticklers your fancy and CHOMP - you never know what you did and they never knew what hit them.

Or what about the bugs you accidentally inhale and digest? Or the gnats you accidentally snort up your nose?

What about all of those!?!?!?!?!

Michael
  • edited July 2005
    I read in one of my nutrition mags that the FDA allows a certain amount of bug parts in food. The example they gave was fig newton bars. I don't remember the exact number of legs, antennae, heads and such, but it was quite a few in each bar.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    That is disgusting.
    edited July 2005
    Bushido wrote:
    I read in one of my nutrition mags that the FDA allows a certain amount of bug parts in food. The example they gave was fig newton bars. I don't remember the exact number of legs, antennae, heads and such, but it was quite a few in each bar.

I've read articles like this before. Don't forget the amount of skin and rodent hair that is also allowed in many, many foods. I think chocolate is allowed so many hairs, so many larvae, wings, etc. in each 8 ounces of chocolate.
    So, if you're eating chocolate - it's not as "non-meat" as you may think.

I also read the story of a woman who was drinking a bottle of V8 one time in her car while her husband was driving. One of those 12 or 16 oz bottles with the wide mouth on it. Anyway, she swallowed something hard - and it bugged her enough that she hurled it back up in the car. They went to have it checked out and the report that came back was that the "lump" was the "hair, skin and muscle of an unknown animal".

Yum. I still have a hard time drinking V8 nowadays...

Michael
    edited July 2005
    So the truth comes out. I think the vegetarians are going ot think twice the next time they have a meal. ;)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    This is why I prefer to prepare everything that I eat myself. I know this is not always convenient, but at least I know how many bugs I put in!!!
  • edited July 2005
    Don't forget, all those machines that kill the insects and underground animals are also used in harvesting grain for the cows. My main philosophical reason for eating less meat is ecological. It takes much more grain (as well as water, land, fertilizer, pesticides, etc.) to feed the cow to feed the people, then it would to just feed the people directly.
    edited July 2005
    Another good point. :)
  • edited July 2005
    Hi everyone, it's me Jenna.

Here are three little mottoes which I try to live by, with respect to what I eat.

If it's got a soul, it's not in my bowl!
    If it can feel, it's not a meal!
    Can it feel pain? Then I'll abstain!

Of course, there is the whole bug and plow issue, which I admit I never even considered before. But how many bugs, exactly, are creamed per vegetable item? How many bugs get chopped to bits for one stalk of broccoli? I'd guess at most, maybe three or four. Worms don't count because they just regenerate (unless they get really mashed up). I think somehow that three or four bugs, compared to a whole cow let's say, is somehow qualitatively different. They're all sentient, all have a life force and desire not to be cruched up by machines or eaten up and will move to avoid painful experiences, but the brain of the cow is so much more complex I think it's awareness must be also. Plus, overall, more people can eat if less meat is produced for consumption, and to produce meat first you have to have grain anyway, which has to be planted, which brings us right back to the holocaust of bugs. So then the bugs die AND the cow dies too, and less people are fed and more go hungry.
    edited July 2005
    Well no veggies for you then. Elohim found out that they have a primitive nervous system. So they do feel pain. And they also might have a soul. We don't know for sure.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    What do we eat then? Hmmm?
    edited July 2005
    Eat what you want. You have to eat. I wonder if synthetic foods are better to eat. I figure they are made from natural things but I am not sure.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I wasnt having a go. I seriously want to know what food there is that is not animal or vegetable. :)
    edited July 2005
    I was being serious, too. Milk might be ok. Maybe eggs. Cheese. Stuff like that.
    edited July 2005
    That's what I was just thinking, Comic.

What if we can be reborn or reincarnated as anything? Like a cow, or a bug. Even the Dali Lama refrains from killing mosquitoes that attack him. He doesn't kill them - he tries to shoo them away or lets them feed.

So is it okay to kill bugs or harm worms just because the regenerate? I could live on crab them - just eat one claw at a time ... but that doesn't make sense because we're still harming them.

Michael
    edited July 2005
    emmak wrote:
    What do we eat then? Hmmm?

This is, of course, the vital question! Closely followed, I hope, by the question of how much.

All the questions about what we eat distract, sometimes, from the much deeper question of the quantity that we eat. Our Western diets are far and away beyond the daily needs for optimal functioning.

One of the aspects of the practice of the Noble Eighfold Path and enshrined in the Precepts is that of moderation and awareness. So many of our meals are taken "on the run", with no focused awareness.

On a number of retreats, I have been invited to practise aware eating. Two things always result: meals take fa-a-a-a-r longer and we eat significantly less!

Added to which, I notice that the question itself, about killing/meat-eating, causes confusion. It takes us into areas that become more and more rarified and abstract. Whilst I love a good "sheer shit" discussion nearly as much as I love Maltesers, neither clarifies my view very much. But is it skillful and useful on the Path?
    edited July 2005
    Wouldn't it be easier to just eat the smaller maount and forget all the awareness of the meal? Wouldn't that free up more time to do more useful things?
    edited July 2005
    There IS nothing more important than focused attention, Jason!
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Simon - food is one of my passions! I am a little obsessive with what I eat, and what my child eats. I cook mostly from scratch, from whole foods and organic veg and fruit. People should pay more attention to what they eat and only eat what they must. The human body is a delicate thing and we constantly abuse it by filling it with crap. :( When my daughter was born I became aware that I ate a lot of things that I didn't need to, and now I don't. If it is of little nutritional value I seldom choose to eat it. And Simon is right, when you pay an 'abnormal' amount of attention to a meal it takes far longer to eat it!
  • edited July 2005
    Uh-oh! Now we're all in trouble! ;)

Plus, I can't use my fun little sayings!

So, plants really feel some kind of pain? I figured they might. How rudimentary is the nervous system? In studying botany as an undergrad I don't ever remember reading about that; very interesting stuff. Are they aware of their pain? One of the things about animals is that they are conscious of their experience of pain, they can anticipate pain, they seek to avoid pain. Is there evidence to suggest thatthis is the case with our friends the plants also?

J
  • edited July 2005

On a number of retreats, I have been invited to practise aware eating. Two things always result: meals take fa-a-a-a-r longer and we eat significantly less!

It takes at least 20 minutes for your brain to tell your stomach it is full, so if eat very slowly and chew your food up really well, you end up eating a lot less!
  • edited July 2005
    I was being serious, too. Milk might be ok. Maybe eggs. Cheese. Stuff like that.

Then what would vegans eat???

I stray away from processed food for me and my family. You just never know what is in that stuff. I can't believe that someone found animals fur and skin in a V8! That is so disgusting. If thaty happened to me, I could never eat again. GROSS!
    edited July 2005
    Wouldn't it be easier to just eat the smaller maount and forget all the awareness of the meal? Wouldn't that free up more time to do more useful things?

What could possibly be more useful than complete awareness of the present moment?
    edited July 2005
    I just figure there are more important things to do. If you already know that you should only eat so much then just eat and get onto other things.
    edited July 2005
    Jenna wrote:
    Uh-oh! Now we're all in trouble! ;)

Plus, I can't use my fun little sayings!

So, plants really feel some kind of pain? I figured they might. How rudimentary is the nervous system? In studying botany as an undergrad I don't ever remember reading about that; very interesting stuff. Are they aware of their pain? One of the things about animals is that they are conscious of their experience of pain, they can anticipate pain, they seek to avoid pain. Is there evidence to suggest thatthis is the case with our friends the plants also?

J

We don't know if they are conscious or not. I have read that is you talk to plants they tend to be healthier. Why is that? ;)
    edited July 2005
    I guess my point is that if you feel that there are more important things than whatever you are doing at exactly this moment then perhaps that is a source of unhappiness for you. One of the distilled essences of the buddha's teachings is basically that there is nothing more important than what you are doing right now. So if you are eating, you should ONLY be eating. What else is there? The idea that you have something "more" to get to can only cause suffering.
    edited July 2005
    My point is if you already know that you are eating then why focus on it over and over again? I mean just eat the bowl of rice and then go and get something done. I just don't see the point in taking an hour to eat a bowl of rice. I figure you do it once to learn what it means and then the next time just eat it. The food is there to sustain the body. Why does it have to be th efocus point of anything more?
  • edited July 2005
    Have you ever really tried to enjoy the food you were eating? Savor each bite, feel the texture, smell it, etc?? I guarantee that if more people did this, our society would learn how to slow down a bit and we would have a much healthier society.
    edited July 2005
    get something done

like what? You keep missing my point.
    edited July 2005
    Like do some work around the house. Go Excercise. Do things that actually take up time.
    edited July 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Have you ever really tried to enjoy the food you were eating? Savor each bite, feel the texture, smell it, etc?? I guarantee that if more people did this, our society would learn how to slow down a bit and we would have a much healthier society.

Cheesecake. Need I say more? :D
  • edited July 2005
    Darn you and your cheesecake references!