Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Etiquette?

SabineSabine Veteran
edited July 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Whoo, I'm back :bigclap: (Sorry for being gone for a few days, had a family trip into the mountains :p The forest we went to was an awesome place to meditate :D )
Anyways, I visited Wat Santidham, the local temple, a few days ago! It was amazing! I talked to one of the monks--he was so nice. I learned that they gather together at seven in the morning and eight in the evening to chant. I plan on visiting their temple again on Sunday :bigclap: Which brings me to my question--
Is there a proper way to behave/dress? What should I do to prepare?
Thankies :bowdown:

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Well, it sounds like a Thai temple so a few simple things to keep in mind are:

1. Don't point your feet at the monks or any statues of the Buddha while sitting on the floor. (Some Asian cultures feel that the feet are lowly and that it is disrespectful to point them at people/sacred things) It is good to either sit crossed legged, or on one leg with the other off to side and pointing behind you.

2. Be polite, no swearing, etc.. (Obviously :) )

3. Do not touch a monk. (Monks are not allowed to touch women, some may because the are looser with the Vinyana, but it is good not to incase they are strict about it.)

4. Take off your shoes when entering any building.

5. If you feel comfortable with this you can place your hands together (as in praying) with the thumbs touching the space in between your eyes, and slightly bow your head to greet monks and other people there. (Called wai.)

6. Wear modest clothing that is not revealing, but comfortable to sit in.

7. If you plan on taking any pictures, ask first.

8. Thai people are very polite, so they may not correct you when you are doing something "improper". If you are unsure of anything just ask. They are very friendly, and will explain anything you may want to know. They understand that you are new to their culture, as well as Buddhism, and they are generally very kind and patient.

9. Be yourself and enjoy your visit!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, don't stress too much about it. Thai people are very easygoing. :D enjoy yourself! :)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Just don't forget to tell us how it goes.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Alrighty, thank you all! I'll definitely report back to ya :D
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I must have gotten the time wrong, no one was there. God, I feel so stupid. My mom is probably never going to take me again. :(
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Sure she will. Give her the sad face. Works on me everytime when my daughter does it.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Sabine wrote:
    I must have gotten the time wrong, no one was there. God, I feel so stupid. My mom is probably never going to take me again. :(
    I friggin hate it when that happens. :angry:
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Oh, well. I'll have to try again :banghead: :bigclap: