Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Found My Own Slice of Nibbana

edited October 2009 in Sanghas
After several months of soul searching I have decided that Theravada Buddhism is the one that is right for me. I’ve read an eclectic array of Buddhist texts and I feel that Theravada best suits me at the moment. I’ve even been lucky enough to find a Sangha here in the Dayton area that is going to help me get started in some Thai-based Theravada studies. Reading the teachings of the Buddha and applying them to my life has been such an amazing spiritual journey and I can’t wait to get back on my feet and start studying regularly now that the move is finished.

~nomad

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Well done... took me 17 years......

Nice of you to join us! :lol:
  • edited August 2009
    Nice work!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I'm very happy for you, Nomad. It feels good to make the commitment, doesn't it?
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks, everyone! I'm thrilled about now having a place to go to study and learn from teachers.

~nomad
  • edited August 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    I'm very happy for you, Nomad. It feels good to make the commitment, doesn't it?

Absolutely! I realize that my views will grow and change over time and that I may find Theravada inappropriate for me on down the road, but for now it is wonderful to know that I have a solid foundation with which to continue my journey.

~nomad
  • edited August 2009
    Shortly after I posted this thread, I was hit with an onslaught of overtime at work and by my recent personal problems, so tonight was the first time I was able to visit our nearby temple and participate in meditation & chanting. I was so nervous going tonight that I almost turned my car around and went home before I arrived, but I’m glad that I didn’t! What a wonderful experience it was! I was able to sit and talk with the head monk for about half an hour before we started an hour of chanting and meditation. Myself and another visitor were urged to sit and watch the ceremony so that we would know what to expect if we decide to come back and participate. I watched the chant ceremony (largely because it was all in Thai), but participated in the meditation session and final prayer. I’m so happy that everyone was very warm and friendly and I can’t wait to go back for another visit!

~nomad
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I'm so happy for you, nomad!

What a wonderful thing to read to start my day.

I was really nervous too when I visited Tisarana monastery last summer. It was just a quick visit, no meditation or chanting, just having a look at the new monastery and saying hello to a few of the monks. But I was still nervous. Taking refuge in the Sangha is a very real thing and it makes us somewhat vulnerable at the beginning when we don't know what to expect. What if they aren't welcoming? What if I unknowingly do something to offend? And so on. It's definitely nerve wracking. But once you introduce yourself and get acquainted with the people and the environment I think a very important connection can be made, an essential connection if the fit is right. Connection with the third Jewel. Nothing could be better, in my humble opinion.

Lovely update, nomad! Thank you!
  • edited September 2009
    Being a Sri Lankan reading these dialogues absolutely makes me happy. In our countries Buddhsim has been taken for granted and the value of it has being lost and now in fact most are 'labelled' Buddhists. The west, especially US, however is about to be exploded with dhamma, a dhamma which filled a vacuum for the seekers of TRUTH. I sincerley hope this enthusiasm will continue for a very long time. I did meditate at Mahabodhi, Buddha Gaya in 2008 for 3 months and I requested the administration there some changes to make that place conducive for meditation on which they has taken serious action.
  • edited October 2009
    Very insightful, lotus. I was thinking a similar thought about the more prevalent religions here in the United States. I was raised a non-denominational Christian and often took my religious beliefs and affiliation for granted. I wonder if there are people in other countries that learn of Christianity and feel the same emotional impact that many people in North America and Europe are feeling as they learn of the Dhamma. Peace to you.

~nomad