Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Remembering the victims of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

edited January 2010 in Sanghas
Well..good evening folks!:cool:

I have just walked in looking like a drowned rat, hair sticking to my face in a most unflattering 'cap effect'.:eek: My trainers and jeans are covered in mud and I am soaked from the waist down. But..I feel so happy I dont care because I have just had a wonderful experience. I would like to share it with you too.

I have just returned from a lantern floating ceremony at Willen Lake, Milton Keynes to remember the victims of the Nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. A deeply moving and thought provoking experience I would not have missed. It is held every year and draws a large following from the local community , admittedly slightly fewer tonight due to torrential rain.:D

We huddled together barefoot , and dripping into the temple .Standing shoulder to shoulder in complete silence, captivated by each new speaker.

One speaker was a Jewish born Roman Catholic Priest .He had spent many years in the US Airforce, including a period where he was involved in the development of effective Nuclear bomb guidance systems. My understandin was that he was also trained as a fighter pilot.He talked alot about 'repentance', and the fact that the word comes from the Latin for 'rethink'. He said that over the years he has come to 'rethink' his own actions. He said that Buddhism had helped him to understand that right action can only come from right view. He spoke with dignity and gentle humour, in a way that almost belied the harshness of his subject matter. He also mixed up the noble truths which caused many a quiet chuckle among the audience!!!:lol:

Later we were handed lanterns and monks led a long procession down from the temple to the lakeside. The monks abandoning their sandals waded out into the lake and many of us followed suit postioning ourselves in a line to accept the lanterns people passed across. The lanterns were then set out to float across the lake, 200 lanterns in all. It was a truly wonderful moment which could not be diminished by the sea of umbrellas or the crackle of thunder. The sight of so many tiny flickers of light bobbing against the gray water brought a lump to my throat and it is a sight I will never forget.

Medusa

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Perspective is an awesome thing, isn't it....?;)

I look up at the stars sometimes and wonder why, if I'm such an insignificant transitory smudge in such a vast place, I make such a big deal out of stuff, when there are really huge things going on......

What a wonderful experience for you, Msmedusa....
    A community gathering of like-minded people, spreading love, benevolence and unity.

It's what counts.

Thank you for posting......
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I thank you also.

It is good to understand the causes of war, so we can avoid it and try to end it.

:smilec:
  • edited December 2009
    Hm. I must have missed this thread whene it was active. I've been doing a bit of reading on World War II lately.

I don't want to diminish from anybody's experience here. I'm not opposed to a remembrance day for the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. But should we not have a Manchuria Day as well for what the Japanese Empire did there? Or a China Day for the scientific "experiments" done by Japanese soldiers on living humans just like in the Third Reich? Or perhaps a Korea Day for the butchering done there by the Imperial Army?

It's a tragedy what happened to the innocent victims in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But let's not forget that the evils being perpetrated in China, Manchuria, and Korea were stopped only because of those bombs. Thousands were being butchered in those countries every day that America waited to drop the bomb.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    How about a Japan day, for when America forced Japan into interacting with the imperialist West (Commodore Perry's visit happened relatively shortly after China was raped in the first of the Opium Wars<sup>*</sup>), systematically isolated and undermined Japan as a contender for power in the Pacific, built up a naval force which could only be targeting Japan, and imposed an oil embargo which it knew would force Japan into war with the US?

The fact is, the Japanese were only copying the rapacity and jingoism of the Western powers which dominated at the world at the time, because that seemed to be the only way to avoid China's fate. As one Japanese diplomat put it, "The Western powers taught the Japanese the game of poker but after acquiring most of the chips they declared the game immoral and took up contract bridge."

<sup>*</sup>How about a China day, for the Opium wars? How a non-West day, for the vast swaths of the world subject to Western imperialism?
  • edited December 2009
    The fact is, the Japanese were only copying the rapacity and jingoism of the Western powers which dominated at the world at the time, because that seemed to be the only way to avoid China's fate. As one Japanese diplomat put it, "The Western powers taught the Japanese the game of poker but after acquiring most of the chips they declared the game immoral and took up contract bridge."

As if that excuses the horrors of the Japanese Empire? British Imperialists looked like kittens compared to what Tojo and his thugs did.

That has nothing to do with what I said either. And it's a sorry excuse for butchering on an industrial scale done not to European imperialists, but fellow non-Imperial Asians. And it's no excuse for Mengala-like experimentation on live humans or the Rape of Nanking.
    edited December 2009
    Your argument seemed to be, "OK, those bombings were bad, but so were these things the Japanese did." My follow-on was "OK, those things were bad too, but here are these other bad things which led to those bad things." If you want a Manchuria day, you should also have a Japan day, a China day, an India day... Anyway, there's not much of an argument, here. But you clearly don't know much about the British Empire, if you think what Japan did was in any way commensurate with their atrocities. As far as I know, the Japanese didn't wipe any other cultures out, for instance.
  • edited December 2009
    Actually, my point is that the bombings were ghastly but necessary and ultimately more humane way of ending the war than through an invasion. And that the bombings in turn ended the far greater horrors going on in Asia.

And I simply fail to see how British imperialism somehow pushed the Japanese to do Nazi-like experimentation on humans. Whatever the crimes of the British Empire, they never matched the barbarism of the Imperial Japanese.

I don't know what you are referencing about 'wiping out cultures.' Certainly not genocide or industrial slaughter.
  • edited December 2009
    Actually, my point is that the bombings were ghastly but necessary and ultimately more humane way of ending the war than through an invasion. And that the bombings in turn ended the far greater horrors going on in Asia.

And I simply fail to see how British imperialism somehow pushed the Japanese to do Nazi-like experimentation on humans. Whatever the crimes of the British Empire, they never matched the barbarism of the Imperial Japanese.

I don't know what you are referencing about 'wiping out cultures.' Certainly not genocide or industrial slaughter.

the death toll during WWII was horrific and the bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima ended it. It's not a good idea to try to second-guess history. None of us was there--including me and I'm older than dirt. The death toll in WWII was so high, if they had delayed the bombings by 2 weeks, the same number of people would have died as a result of their inaction. It was a Nagasaki/Hiroshima EVERY TWO WEEKS. It had to stop. As far as the Allies knew at the time, the Japanese were going to fight "to the last man." Even if they didn't do that, the death toll would have been in the millions, not 200,000.

the ceremony as described was sweet and wonderful. I would have suggested holding it for the 65 million who died in WWII and in hopes that such a horror never happens again. And that we, or anyone, is ever forced to again make such a horrible decision.

As far as that goes, the British did, indeed, wipe out cultures and did all kinds of horrible things during the 19th century, but then so did the US. But the idea that the Japanese wouldn't have been so bad if the British hadn't been so bad is utter nonsense.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited December 2009
    MrsCogan wrote: »
    the death toll during WWII was horrific and the bombings of Nagasaki and Hiroshima ended it. It's not a good idea to try to second-guess history. None of us was there--including me and I'm older than dirt. The death toll in WWII was so high, if they had delayed the bombings by 2 weeks, the same number of people would have died as a result of their inaction. It was a Nagasaki/Hiroshima EVERY TWO WEEKS. It had to stop. As far as the Allies knew at the time, the Japanese were going to fight "to the last man." Even if they didn't do that, the death toll would have been in the millions, not 200,000.

Supreme Commander Dwight Eisenhower, General Douglas McArthur, Fleet Admiral William Leahy, and Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz did not seem to agree.
    edited December 2009
    What did they say about it?
    edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    What did they say about it?

Eisenhower: "In 1945 Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives."

Nimitz: "The Japanese had, in fact, already sued for peace. The atomic bomb played no decisive part, from a purely military point of view, in the defeat of Japan."

Leahy: "The use of the atomic bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons. The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

I can't find a direct quote from McArthur, but I've read that he disagreed with the bombings.
    edited January 2010
    Personally, I am always aghast how Westerners fail to ackowledge the brutality of Western colonialism, which included slavery.

WWII ended the colonial system, started by the Vatican and popularised by the British.

Personally, I think it is not best to take sides but see the evil escalation of the whole matter of colonialism.

:(
    edited January 2010
    14l5109.jpg

2vjylpc.jpg
  • edited January 2010
    Personally, I am always aghast how Westerners fail to ackowledge the brutality of Western colonialism, which included slavery.

Absolutely.

As a UK secondary school history teacher,part of the syllabus I taught was about slavery and the above pictures of slave ships remind me of that. Showing films related to the subject never ceased to bring sadness to my heart and tears to my eyes. Additionally historically there's the destruction of native cultures in South America and North America as well as atrocities elsewhere.
    Similarly with the slaughter on all sides in WW2 - the bombing of Dresden by 'bomber Harris' included, as well as Hiroshima and Nagasaki and of course the extermination of Jews,gypsies etc. and other loss of life for the British and Americans.

Historically the western world has a great deal to answer for in terms of destroying other cultures and warmongering in general - and it still continues to the present day.

I can't say I've felt proud to be British looking back on the "British Empire" quite frankly.

There are also many positive aspects to western culture too, of course and naturally I'm always grateful for them.

Perhaps slowly we are all learning from our mistakes and goverments around the world might seek more peaceful means of resolving problems. I hope so.

May there be world peace and understanding between nations in 2010 and onwards -and may there be loving kindness towards all beings. great and small, seen and unseen.

edited January 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    Eisenhower: "In 1945 Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany,...
    Thanks. Can you give me the cites for these?
    edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Thanks. Can you give me the cites for these?

Eisenhower's is from his book The White House Years, Leahy's quote come from his book, titled I Was There, and the source for the Nimitz is here.
    edited January 2010
    Thanks very much.
    edited January 2010