Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

which vehicle?

edited August 2005 in Buddhism Basics
hello everyone!
i'm new to buddhism, i've been reading and reading, but i don't know what vehicle of buddhism i would like to practice! the differences seem so minor. so i was just wondering if anyone could share how they chose what path of buddhism to practice!
:D
--Sara--

Comments

• edited July 2005
    I think you just need to see which one feels right to you.

Perhaps visit some various temples and see which experience you prefer.

At the end of the day I think you can practice whatever vehicle you wish because, as you say, the differences are minor and the ends are mostly the same. It is a matter of comfort moreso than anything.

Personally I attend a Therevada temple. I chose it because I was welcomed into it so lovingly and so fully that it felt like a home to me. The abbott, however, is very open-minded and there is never any venom or tension when, for example, the Dalai Lama is discussed; on the contrary there is only reverence and respect for anyone who follows the Dhamma.

So, in my experience, I'm unaware of much conflict. I'm unsure if this is rare or not.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I don't have any type of Buddhist beliefe system. I try and learn it all. I figure I will make my own conclusions to what I learn.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Wow. My name's Sara too.
  • edited August 2005
    I thought this was a discussion about vehicles. I was going to say the Chrysler Crossfire is a nice car. I guess the 'vehicle' is whichever one suits you personally. It's like churches - some are 'happy-clappy' and some are more traditional. Good luck finding yours.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Are you serious? I nearly choked just now! LOL!
  • edited August 2005
    Sorry, what did I say? No offence intended.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    You didn't offend - you made me laugh. I am still laughing now. ;)
  • edited August 2005
    Okay ... um. I just thought I had done the forum equivalent of farting or something.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    No. (Again laughing) ;)
    I just imagined you saying that with a dry, flat voice. It reminded me of something my dad would say, LOL!