Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Went to my first Buddhist Service today

JerbearJerbear Veteran
edited July 2005 in Sanghas
Hello All,
After much fear and trepidation, I went to my very first Buddhist Service today. I had a pretty nasty back injury last year and my doctor is trying to get my meds under control. I felt pretty good this morning and went.

Brian, since you'll ask, it was at Muddy Water Zen in Royal Oak where I took their meditation class a few weeks ago. I meant to go sooner but my back started going into horrible spasms and having to do tons of physical therapy kind of slowed the process down.

But this morning, I decided that I didn't care how I felt afterwards, I needed to do this. After 10 years as a fundy xtian, one buddhist service wouldn't kill me. Actually, I found it quite fun. It was the first time I meditated in a group setting like that. I can't do prostrations because chances are I can't get back up. They were very kind and let me sit in a regular chair.

Talk about the monkey mind. My mind went wild for all except 3 minutes. I was pleased that was all that it went. The Dhamma talk was interesting. I know that Buddhism isn't going to save me, but help guide me in the middle way. When the teacher mentioned that, I almost laughed. I spent 15 years in AA and knew that if I was going to make any progress in Buddhism, i would have to do the work myself.

Overall, I can't wait for next Sunday or Thursday depending on how I'm feeling. I felt right at home even though I had only met the teacher. Great group of people. :bigclap:

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I have a messed up back ,too. I have to sit in a chair most of the time when i meditate. I wish I had a temple here. :)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Before my back injury, I meditated on a bench and a cushion. After the fracture I didn't meditate until last month. I find it harder to meditate in a chair than on a bench. But I am glad this sangha is willing to make accomodations as my doctors aren't sure if I will ever be able to meditate normally again.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Meditation is in the mind. At least that's what I have always believed.
  • edited July 2005
    Greetings, I am working up the courage to attend a Buddhist service. I think I will go to the Temple in Warren, Michigan. It seems to be the closest. Any advice??
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited July 2005
    There are two buddhist temples in Warren - Wat BuddhaVihara (thai/theravada) - AKA the Midwest Buddhist Meditation Center, and there is also Chua Lin Son (vietnamese/zen). Which one were you thinking of attending?
  • edited July 2005
    I was thinking of visiting 'The Mid-West Buddhist Temple', I did not know about the Chua Lin Son Temple. I am more familiar with Zen buddhism. Does the Choa Lin Son have a website? I would like more info. Do they give Dharmma lessons/discussions?
  • edited July 2005
    P.S. Brian:
    I was very thankful to find about your website. It is great!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Jackie,
    I go to Muddy Water Zen in Royal Oak. It's a small sangha. The most people that have shown up is 15 from what the teacher has told me. Go where you think you will get the most from.
    edited July 2005
    Jackie: Chua Lin Son as far as I know does not have a website. If they do, I've not been able to find it. I can't even find their phone number :(

They are a new temple that, I believe, just moved from Utica to Warren. They bought an old Salvation Army building and renovated it. I saw the buddhist flag go up on the flag pole one day (it still had the salvation army signs on the building) last fall.... which made me say "WTF?"

Then slowly last fall, last winter, and this spring, they have been redoing the building. I took a picture of it last fall. It is on nine mile road between mound and ryan. A highly unlikely place for a buddhist temple, if you know the area! :)

Coincidentally, it happens to be literally four blocks from my house. Walking distance. I haven't been there yet, however.

ChuaLinhSon1.jpg
  • edited July 2005
    They were on Utica Road for years and years. Just north of the Meijer on Moravian.

I didn't realize they moved until one day the statue out front was gone. Then, more recently, I started working for the library delivering inter-library-loan books to the south side of Macomb County and we pass the new temple (and evidently Brian's neighborhood) daily on route to the Burnette and Birch libraries.

I'd like to stop by and visit them at some point, but, like Brian, am unable to locate any contact info. I'd feel a little strange just walking in.

And yeah, that's one odd area for a Buddhist Temple.

Oddly, on my route, we pass both the Chua Linh Son and the MBMC. It's nice. Sort of a reaffirmation for me daily. :)
    edited July 2005
    wow you definitely are right in my neighborhood every day. The street called Beierman where the stoplight on 9 mile (in front of the 7-11 and the video store) is where I live - a mile north of there (10 & beierman). :D