Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Heart Sutra (Commentary & Discussion)

edited September 2009 in Philosophy
The Heart Sutra (Full Text)

Thus have I heard,

The Blessed One was staying in Rajgriha at Vulture Peak
Along with a great community of monks and bodhisattvas, and at that time, the Blessed One entered the meditative absorbtion of the varieties of phenomenon called the appearance of the profound. At that time as well, Avalokiteshvara (Kwan Yin in Chinese, Kannon in Japanese), the bodhisattva, the great being, clearly beheld the practice of the profound perfection of wisdom [Prajna] itself and saw that even the five aggregates [skandas] are empty of intrinsic existance.
Thereupon, through the Buddha's inspiration, the venerable Sharipura spoke to the noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva, the great being, and said, "How should any noble son or noble daughter who wishes to engage in the practice of the profound perfection of wisdom train?"
When this had been said, the holy Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva, the great being, spoke to the venerable Shariputra and said, "Sharipura, any noble son or noble daughter who so wishes to engage in the practice of wisdom should clearly see this way: they should see perfectly that even the five aggregates are empty of intrinsic existance. Form is emptiness[shunyata], emptiness is form; emptiness is not like other then form, form too is not other like emptiness. Likewise feelings, perceptions, mental formations, and conciousness are all empty. Therefore, Shariputra, all phenomena are emptiness; they are without defining characteristics; they are not born, they do not cease; they are not defiled, they are not undefiled; they are not deficiant, they are not complete.
Therefore, Shariputra, in emptiness there is no form, no feelings, no perceptions, no mental formations, and no consciousness. There is no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind. There is no form, no sound, no smell, no taste, no texture and no mental objects. There is no eye-element and so on up to no mind element including up to no element of mental conciousness. There is no ignorance, and so on up to no aging and no death and no extinction of aging and death. No suffering, no origination, no stopping, no path, no cognition, also no attainment.
With nothing to attain the bodhisattva depends on Prajna Paramita and his mind is no hinderance.
Without hinderance no fears exist; far apart from every inverted view he dwells in nirvana.
In the three worlds all Buddhas depend on Prajna Paramita and attain
Anuttara-samyak-sambodhi.
Therefore know that Pranja Paramita is the great transcendent mantra, is the great illuminted mantra, is the utmost supreme mantra,
which is able to relieve all suffering and is true, not false.
So proclaim the Pranja Paramita mantra thus:

Gate, gate, paragate, parasamgate! Bodhi! Svaha!

The above translation of the Heart Sutra, sometimes called The Blessed Mother, the Heart of the Perfection of Wisdom, is taken from myself from several translations. Mainly the one used in the book "Essence of the Heart Sutra" by the Dalai Lama and several found online and in the book "Radiant Mind: Essential Buddhist Teachings and Texts", edited by Jean Smith. I've highlighted the blue portion for those who wish to chant the Sutra since that is nearly always the portion that is chanted in Zen, Tibetan, and other traditions. I've included a short glossery just below to make life easier and it is my profound hope that this thread will lead to thoughtful discussions, debates, and perhaps a bit less samsara for the world.

Prajna- Intuitive Wisdom, as opposed to "intellectual" wisdom one might find in a book. It is direct knowing through experiance. Remember, knowledge can block understanding, which is capable of flowing freely around such obsticles.

Shariputra- One of the Buddha's greatest students.

The Five Aggrigates/Skandhas(Heaps)- Forms, Feelings, Perceptions, Mental Formations, Conciousness.

Gate, gate, paragate, parasamgate! Bodhi! Svaha! -Gone, gone, gone beyond, gone completely beyond!

The Three Worlds- Past, Present and Future. Symbolized sometimes as Siddartha Gautama (the past Buddha who began the turning of the wheel of the Dharma), Amida Buddha (the present Buddha that is in fact our real Buddha-nature) and Maitreya Buddha (future Buddha of the next kalpa/cycle of existance)

Annuttara-samyak-sambodhi -Literally, "complete, unsurpassed, perfect enlightenment."

Emptiness (Shunyata)- Suchness. Thus-ness. As-it-is-ness. Remember: The world we perceive and the thing that perceives the world are one and the same. Put another way, there is no "Universe" and then "You". There is only the Youniverse, at all time and in all space.

Nirvana- The "state beyond sorrows".

Mantra- "True words."

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Thanks, Validus!

I follow the Thai Forest Tradition which is a Theravada school but I like to read a variety of things because you never know where you're going to find something useful.

While I was reading the above I was thinking how it could be a good idea to post more suttas in full instead of just pointing to them with links. Just a thought...if anyone was interested in typing some out. It wouldn't work though if we started to have disagreements about which translation was best. I don't know. Just thinking aloud....
  • edited September 2009
    That wonderful Buddhist scholar and monk Thich Nhat Hahn wrote a very highly respected commentary on the Heart Sutra. I'm not certain if this Sutra is of particular importance in the Theravadan tradition, but it is invaluble to those who wish to come to a deeper understanding of Emptiness (Shunyata).

I like your idea about the sufferent Sutras (or Suttas), but some of them are so very long to have to type. I'll admire anyone willing to do the typing.:)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2009
    I'm not certain if this Sutra is of particular importance in the Theravadan tradition

No, the Heart Sutra was written centuries after the death of Gautama Buddha, as part of the Mahayana school, and the Theravada school rejects it on this basis. (I don't have a dog in this fight. The provenance of a teaching seems irrelevant to its value, to me.)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Validus wrote: »
    I'm not certain if this Sutra is of particular importance in the Theravadan tradition, but it is invaluble to those who wish to come to a deeper understanding of Emptiness (Shunyata).
    Hi Validus

For your information, this Mahayana sutra has no importance whatsover in the Theravadan tradition.

In the Theravada tradition, Sariputta was held by the Buddha to be equal to him in teaching the Dhamma. Further, of all of the Buddha's fully enlightened disciples, Sariputta had the greatest lucidity of wisdom.

So, from a Theravada perspective, the sutra is merely a political & sectarian attempt to replace Sariputta with a Hindu God as the foremost teacher or 'general' of the Dhamma. From a Theravada perspective, it is ludicrous that anyone (apart from the Buddha) would teach the Dhamma to the Venerable Sariputta.

Also, from a Theravada perspective, this sutra is not invaluable to those who wish to come to a deeper understanding of emptiness because from a Theravada perspective its understanding about emptiness is false and wrong.

This sutra teaches the sphere of nothingness is emptiness. As such, it is wrong understanding regarding emptiness and an immature understanding about emptiness. Before his enlightenment, the Buddha-To-Be rejected the sphere of nothingness as Nirvana.

In brief, this sutra is for Mahayana practitioners but Theravada practitioners consider it as both philosophy and wrong understanding.

If you wish to read how the sphere of nothingness or 'no-thing' fits into the Theravada scheme of things, you can read the Cula-suññata Sutta . The Cula-suññata Sutta is invaluable to those who wish to come to a deeper understanding of Emptiness (Shunyata).

Best wishes

DDhatu

:)
  • edited September 2009
    Bakers that debate the color of the rolling pin won't get very far trying to make a cake or anything else.
  • edited September 2009
    Commentary:

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.
    Rupan shunyata shunyataiva rupan.

There are many ways to view this statement. From a purely historical point of view, the first part was aimed at the Sarvastivadins, who believed such dharmas as form were self-existant, and the second part was aimed at the Sautranitaks, who believed that the skanda of conciousness was self-existant. Having seen that all five skandas are empty of anything self-existant, Avalokiteshvara turns from the Theravadan interpretation of emptiness, which holds that there is some aspect of certain dharmas that persist over time, to that of the Mahayana.

That form is empty was one of the Buddha's earliest and most frequent pronouncements. But in the light of Prajnaparamita, form is not simply empty, it is so completely empty, it is emptiness itself, which turns out to be the same as form itself.

from The Heart Sutra
    by Red Pine (Bill Porter), page 75
  • edited September 2009
    Bakers that debate the color of the rolling pin won't get very far trying to make a cake or anything else.

Bakers who confuse dirt for flour make mud rather than bread.

You raised the question of how the Theravada tradition regards the "heart sutra", and implied that that the Theravada tradition is not interested in coming "to a deeper understanding of" sunnata:
    Originally Posted by Validus viewpost.gif
    I'm not certain if this Sutra is of particular importance in the Theravadan tradition, but it is invaluble to those who wish to come to a deeper understanding of Emptiness (Shunyata).

And now you "argue the color of the rolling pin" with the one who kindly took the time and effort to supply the answer to your question.

The heart sutra, and the traditions that hold to it, treat sunnata as a speculative metaphysical-view declaration. The Buddha did not teach sunnata that way.
  • jhanajhana Explorer
    edited September 2009
    Hmm. I'm a beginner (so should I even be reading this thread?) but we're studying the Heart Sutra at my local (Mahayana) Buddhist centre atmo. I understand how all form is empty of inherent existence, and how even emptiness is empty of inherent existence. Obviously I'm missing something crucial here, because I don't understand why that should be important , or relevant to us on our path towards awakening. Can anyone help please?

Also, is Prajna Paramita meant to be an actual Buddha or emanation thereof, or just the quality of 'perfection of wisdom'?
  • edited September 2009
    jhana wrote: »
    Hmm. I'm a beginner (so should I even be reading this thread?)

Sure, of course! You can read what you want, and feel free to ask questions. That is how folks learn.

....but we're studying the Heart Sutra at my local (Mahayana) Buddhist centre atmo. I understand how all form is empty of inherent existence, and how even emptiness is empty of inherent existence. Obviously I'm missing something crucial here, because I don't understand why that should be important , or relevant to us on our path towards awakening. Can anyone help please?

Also, is Prajna Paramita meant to be an actual Buddha or emanation thereof, or just the quality of 'perfection of wisdom'?

The Buddha's teaching of sunnata ("emptiness") is that everything whatsoever is empty of self or anything pertaining to self. What this means is that nothing whatsoever should be clung to as "me" or "mine". It is an indictment of illusions of status and ownership: I am thus-and-such, this is mine." This is an experiential teaching.

This is quite different form the existiential, metaphysical speculative-view declaration that "all form is empty of inherent existence, and even emptiness is empty of inherent existence". This is a speculative metaphysical view, and the Buddha did not declare speculative metaphysical views in his own teachings. There were some speculative metaphysical views that He refused to challenge; those which He saw as leading one toward skillful moral behavior. But these were not intrinsic to His own experiential teachings.

"Prajna Paramita" means, literally, "perfection of wisdom". What the traditions which reify this concept into some sort of "buddha personality" or "emanation" (whatever that is supposed to be) of a person have in mind, is not of interest to Theravadins or to those who study the actual teachings of the actual Buddha: such stories are simply not relevant to the Buddha's teachings.
  • edited September 2009
    Aside from sectarian reasons for not following a particular text, the most important message I always gain from the Heart Sutra is that there is no self to be located in the skhandas.

I realize this is hypothetical and speculative, but I wonder if Sariputta would have held himself in the same austere regard in which others seem to place him. Are we to suspect he would have said to any well-meaning person something like "it is ludicrous for anyone to teach me anything about the dhamma, because I am equal to the Buddha!" I doubt it. This reverence is nothing more than religious belief about a person, and to use said belief as a means for discrediting another viewpoint risks coming off as sanctimony.

that being said, yes...it is clear that the Heart Sutta had a subversive agenda to it, okay I get that from the scholars I have read. But lest we not forget, there were also subversive agendas inserted into the suttas of the Pali Canon too!! For example, there is the assertion that numerous passages regarding the jhanas and shamatha meditation were later additions to the canon as a means to support pre-Buddhist (Indian mystical) forms of meditation. I say so what? If it works then it has value, if it doesn't work, then explore your practice in a different direction.
  • edited September 2009

I think this article "Early Buddhism and the Heart Sutra" by Santikaro Bhikkhu might be very interesting for posters in this thread. Well worth a read !

http://www.liberationpark.org/study/pdf/Heart%20Sutra%20%26%20Early%20Bsm.pdf

:buck:
  • edited September 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »

I think this article "Early Buddhism and the Heart Sutra" by Santikaro Bhikkhu might be very interesting for posters in this thread. Well worth a read !

http://www.liberationpark.org/study/pdf/Heart%20Sutra%20%26%20Early%20Bsm.pdf

A very good comparison between some points raised in the heart sutra and some of the Nikaya passages from which they may have been derived. However, it carefully avoids the fact that these derivations substantially alter the nature and meaning of the Buddha's teaching of sunnata.
  • edited September 2009
    Emptiness (Shunyata)- Suchness. Thus-ness. As-it-is-ness. Remember: The world we perceive and the thing that perceives the world are one and the same. Put another way, there is no "Universe" and then "You". There is only the Youniverse, at all time and in all space.

The Pali word that is often so awkwardly translated as "Suchness, Thus-ness, Is-ness, As-it-is-ness", and such, is not Sunnata/Shunyata.

That word in Pali is Tathana (edit to correct typo: "Tathata". Thanks, Dazzle)

This is how the Buddha taught Sunnata, Emptiness:

"There is the case where a monk, having gone into the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or into an empty dwelling, considers this: 'This is empty of self or of anything pertaining to self.' This is called the emptiness awareness-release." (MN 43)
  • edited September 2009
    Having seen that all five skandas are empty of anything self-existant, Avalokiteshvara turns from the Theravadan interpretation of emptiness, which holds that there is some aspect of certain dharmas that persist over time, to that of the Mahayana.

That is not the view of emptiness that the Buddha taught, at all. The author is mistaken in his analysis.

It is, however, possible that the author is referring to the Theravada schools that hold to the "re-linking consciousness" (aliyavijnana) eisegesis, but that seems doubtful as most (if not all) of the Mahayana and Vajrayana schools tend to hold to this eisegesis (or to some variation of it) as well.
    That form is empty was one of the Buddha's earliest and most frequent pronouncements.

This is simply not true. By reading the books of the Nikayas you own, Validus, you can find this out for yourself.
  • edited September 2009
    stuka wrote: »
    A very good comparison between some points raised in the heart sutra and some of the Nikaya passages from which they may have been derived. However, it carefully avoids the fact that these derivations substantially alter the nature and meaning of the Buddha's teaching of sunnata.

*sigh*

Still trying to debate the color of a red herring are we? How's that working out for you?
  • edited September 2009
    *sigh*

Still trying to debate the color of a red herring are we?

Not at all. Please play the ball and not the man. Personal attacks violate the TOS.
  • edited September 2009
    stuka wrote: »
    The Pali word that is often so awkwardly translated as "Suchness, Thus-ness, Is-ness, As-it-is-ness", and such, is not Sunnata/Shunyata.

That word in Pali is Tathana.

Hi Stuka,

For the Pali for suchness I have : Tathata and not Tathana. (Definition taken from a dictionary of Buddhism and also from a book by Ajahn Sumedho)

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited September 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Hi Stuka,

For the Pali for suchness I have : Tathata and not Tathana. (Definition taken from a dictionary of Buddhism and also from a book by Ajahn Sumedho)

Yes, Tathata -- a typo on my part. The best and clearest translation I have seen is "true nature (of things)".
  • edited September 2009
    The question of authorship was an early one for early Buddhists concerned with authenticity. But over the centuries it has become less so. Nowadays Buddhists resolve thi issue by considering the teaching contained in the text on its own merits. Accordingly the principle of the Four Reliances (catuh-practi-sarana) has developed to deal with this issue: we are urged to rely on the teacing and not the author, the meaning and not the letter, the truth and not the convention, the knowledge and not the information. Thus, if a teaching accords with the Dharma, then the teacher must hav been a Buddha or someone empowered by a Buddha to speak on his/her behalf.

-from The Heart Sutra
    by Red Pine (Bill Porter), pages 41-42
  • edited September 2009
    The Buddha's teaching of the Four Great References, from the Maha Parinibbana Sutta, goes like this:

"...carefully studying the sentences word by word, one should trace them in the Discourses and verify them by the Discipline. If they are neither traceable in the Discourses nor verifiable by the Discipline, one must conclude thus: 'Certainly, this is not the Blessed One's utterance; this has been misunderstood by that bhikkhu — or by that community, or by those elders, or by that elder.' In that way, bhikkhus, you should reject it. But if the sentences concerned are traceable in the Discourses and verifiable by the Discipline, then one must conclude thus: 'Certainly, this is the Blessed One's utterance; this has been well understood by that bhikkhu — or by that community, or by those elders, or by that elder.' And in that way, bhikkhus, you may accept it on the first, second, third, or fourth reference. These, bhikkhus, are the four great references for you to preserve."

This is a far cry from Porter's revisionist interpretation, "if a teaching 'accords with the Dharma', then the teacher must have been a Buddha or someone empowered by a Buddha to speak on his/her behalf. "
  • edited September 2009
    The question of authorship was an early one for early Buddhists concerned with authenticity. But over the centuries it has become less so. Nowadays Buddhists resolve thi issue by considering the teaching contained in the text on its own merits. Accordingly the principle of the Four Reliances (catuh-practi-sarana) has developed to deal with this issue: we are urged to rely on the teacing and not the author, the meaning and not the letter, the truth and not the convention, the knowledge and not the information. Thus, if a teaching accords with the Dharma, then the teacher must hav been a Buddha or someone empowered by a Buddha to speak on his/her behalf.

-from The Heart Sutra
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited September 2009
    The Buddha taught that one should look into the truth of all teaching whether they are from him or not. It is the responsibility of one to find the truth for themselves. Some like myself have read the heart sutra and don’t place much on it. My reasons are completely different from some of the others stated but, the fact remains the same. Others read it and gain some sort of insight that they can use to help unlock other doors within their own minds. Some read it and follow it blindly which just makes matters worse. This is not solely upon the heart sutra itself, this effect happens with just about everything in life text or not. Each mind sees things differently and also learns and unlocks understandings within its own time.<o></o>
  • edited September 2009
    Validus, thank you for this. I love the way you broke everything down at the end. Hopefully there will be more threads like this...
  • edited September 2009
    sambodhi wrote: »
    Validus, thank you for this. I love the way you broke everything down at the end. Hopefully there will be more threads like this...

Gassho Sambodhi, and thank you for the feedback.
    edited September 2009
    I realize this is hypothetical and speculative, but I wonder if Sariputta would have held himself in the same austere regard in which others seem to place him. Are we to suspect he would have said to any well-meaning person something like "it is ludicrous for anyone to teach me anything about the dhamma, because I am equal to the Buddha!" I doubt it.
    Friend

What you have said is hypothetical and speculative. The Buddha himself regarded Sariputta in the same manner as I. Thus your hypothesis and speculation is also in conflict with the Buddha. In other words, in comparison to what is reported in the suttas, your opinion is incorrect and your doubts wrong.
    187. Bhikkhus, I do not know of any other person who could follow up the teaching proclaimed by the Thus Gone One other than Sàriputta. Bhikkhus, Sàriputta follows up the teaching proclaimed by me.

Ekapuggalavagga
    In fact, there are a number of suttas about 'The Lion's Roar' given by both Sariputta and the Buddha, where these enlightened one's firmly answered false claims made about them. (see Maha-sihanada Sutta.)

Generally, the problem is emptiness is often regarded as nothingness, selflessness, humility or martyredom.

Kind regards

DDhatu

edited September 2009
    ...all phenomena are emptiness; they are without defining characteristics; they are not born, they do not cease; they are not defiled, they are not undefiled; they are not deficiant, they are not complete. Therefore, in emptiness there is no form, no feelings, no perceptions, no mental formations, and no consciousness. There is no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind. There is no form, no sound, no smell, no taste, no texture and no mental objects. There is no eye-element and so on up to no mind element including up to no element of mental conciousness. There is no ignorance, and so on up to no aging and no death and no extinction of aging and death. No suffering, no origination, no stopping, no path, no cognition, also no attainment. "
    Validus

The Buddha himself did not teach like this. When both being and non-being are transcended, one understands emptiness. But when stuck in notions of existence & non-existence, emptiness is not comprehended.

From a Theravada perspective, as I have said, the Mahayana notions of emptiness are a step backwards into the sphere of nothingness.
    6. "Bhikkhus, there are these two views: the view of being and the view of non-being. Any recluses or brahmans who rely on the view of being, adopt the view of being, accept the view of being, are opposed to the view of non-being. Any recluses or brahmans who rely on the view of non-being, adopt the view of non-being, accept the view of non-being, are opposed to the view of being.

7. "Any recluses or brahmans who do not understand as they actually are the origin, the disappearance, the gratification, the danger and the escape in the case of these two views are affected by lust, affected by hate, affected by delusion, affected by craving, affected by clinging, without vision, given to favoring and opposing, and they delight in and enjoy proliferation. They are not freed from birth, aging and death, from sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair; they are not freed from suffering, I say.

Cula-sihanada Sutta

"One discerns that 'If I were to direct equanimity as pure & bright as this towards the dimension of the infinitude of space and to develop the mind along those lines, that would be fabricated. One discerns that 'If I were to direct equanimity as pure and bright as this towards the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness... the dimension of nothingness... the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception and to develop the mind along those lines, that would be fabricated.'

One neither fabricates nor mentally fashions for the sake of becoming or un-becoming. This being the case, one is not sustained by anything in the world (does not cling to anything in the world). Unsustained, one is not agitated. Unagitated, one is totally unbound right within. One discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'

MN 140

"By & large, Kaccayana, this world is supported by (takes as its object) a polarity, that of existence & non-existence. But when one sees the origination of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'non-existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one. When one sees the cessation of the world as it actually is with right discernment, 'existence' with reference to the world does not occur to one.

"'Everything exists': That is one extreme. 'Everything doesn't exist': That is a second extreme. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma via the middle:

SN 12.15
    edited September 2009
    jhana wrote: »
    I understand how all form is empty of inherent existence, and how even emptiness is empty of inherent existence. Obviously I'm missing something crucial here, because I don't understand why that should be important , or relevant to us on our path towards awakening. Can anyone help please?
    Hi Jhana

A tree is empty of inherent existence because it is made up of other things, such as the sun, soil nutriment, etc. Or existentially, that a tree exists depends on you or your eye seeing it.

This understanding can help us understand all things depend on a cause. For example, what you consider yourself to be is simply nature & nurture. The body & mind nature has given you; the education & unbringing your parents have given you; or simply the food, water and oxygen from nature that sustains you.

This can help you awaken because it leads to the letting go of ego-clinging or self-cherishing, which leads to freedom from suffering. It can also make you more grateful.

However, this is just theory. One must practice alot to be free from self-cherishing and the be able to relinquish things & life.

In fact, for many, relinquishing things causes suffering (so they must follow other religions or doctrines).

Kind regards

DDhatu

edited September 2009
    in emptiness there is no form, no feelings, no perceptions, no mental formations, and no consciousness. There is no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind. There is no form, no sound, no smell, no taste, no texture and no mental objects. There is no eye-element and so on up to no mind element including up to no element of mental conciousness. There is no ignorance, and so on up to no aging and no death and no extinction of aging and death. No suffering, no origination, no stopping, no path, no cognition, also no attainment

The Heart Sutra is wrong because there is an "eye" and a "body". Otherwise, this post could not be written.

However, this post can still be written without an ego or 'self' because all that is required to write the post is an eye, a mind, fingers and other things. Ego or 'self' are not required.

Whether or not the label "eye" is mentally constructed, seeing still occurs and whatever enables seeing we conventionally call an "eye".

The Buddha taught the eye is impermanent, unsatisfactory and empty of self. When the eye is regarded in this way, passion, attachment and suffering in relation to the eye will cease. This is liberation.

Whether an eye is called an 'eye' or called nothing makes no difference to freedom from suffering.

However, if we think there is no eye, no ear, no body, no anything, people will think we are crazy because these things are everywhere to be experienced.

In brief, the Heart Sutta is very poor spiritual science and disconnected from reality.

edited September 2009
    Red Pine wrote: »
    Having seen that all five skandas are empty of anything self-existant, Avalokiteshvara turns from the Theravadan interpretation of emptiness, which holds that there is some aspect of certain dharmas that persist over time, to that of the Mahayana.
    Those such as Red Pine who are not learned in Theravada are best advised to not comment on it. The supramundane teachings of Theravada hold no dharmas persist over time (except the Nirvana element).
    Red Pine wrote: »
    That form is empty was one of the Buddha's earliest and most frequent pronouncements. But in the light of Prajnaparamita, form is not simply empty, it is so completely empty, it is emptiness itself, which turns out to be the same as form itself.
    If Red Pine is saying form is merely form and empty of 'self', the Theravadin position can agree.

However, if Red Pine is replicating the Heart Sutra by asserting there is no form, then the Theravadin position cannot agree. Most of all, I cannot agree.

Now my mind sees and my hands touch a computer. The computer is form, comprised of myriad forms.

One day these forms will end. If this impermanence is comprehended, the mind will be liberated from form and that liberation is sufficient.

• edited September 2009
    DD-

I am convinced that you and stuka are really the same person. I find your sectarianism offensive and your words trivial. Please don't post in this thread anymore or I will ask that it be locked.

Thank you.
  • edited September 2009

Thus have I heard,

Along with a great community of monks and bodhisattvas, and at that time, the Blessed One entered the meditative absorbtion of the varieties of phenomenon called the appearance of the profound. At that time as well, Avalokiteshvara (Kwan Yin in Chinese, Kannon in Japanese), the bodhisattva, the great being, clearly beheld the practice of the profound perfection of wisdom [Prajna] itself and saw that even the five aggregates [skandas] are empty of intrinsic existance.
    Thereupon, through the Buddha's inspiration, the venerable Sharipura spoke to the noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva, the great being, and said, "How should any noble son or noble daughter who wishes to engage in the practice of the profound perfection of wisdom train?"
    When this had been said, the holy Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva, the great being, spoke to the venerable Shariputra and said, "Sharipura, any noble son or noble daughter who so wishes to engage in the practice of wisdom should clearly see this way: they should see perfectly that even the five aggregates are empty of intrinsic existance. Form is emptiness[shunyata], emptiness is form; emptiness is not like other then form, form too is not other like emptiness. Likewise feelings, perceptions, mental formations, and conciousness are all empty. Therefore, Shariputra, all phenomena are emptiness; they are without defining characteristics; they are not born, they do not cease; they are not defiled, they are not undefiled; they are not deficiant, they are not complete.
    Therefore, Shariputra, in emptiness there is no form, no feelings, no perceptions, no mental formations, and no consciousness. There is no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind. There is no form, no sound, no smell, no taste, no texture and no mental objects. There is no eye-element and so on up to no mind element including up to no element of mental conciousness. There is no ignorance, and so on up to no aging and no death and no extinction of aging and death. No suffering, no origination, no stopping, no path, no cognition, also no attainment.
    With nothing to attain the bodhisattva depends on Prajna Paramita and his mind is no hinderance.
    Without hinderance no fears exist; far apart from every inverted view he dwells in nirvana.
    Therefore know that Pranja Paramita is the great transcendent mantra, is the great illuminted mantra, is the utmost supreme mantra,

The above translation of the Heart Sutra, sometimes called The Blessed Mother, the Heart of the Perfection of Wisdom, is taken from myself from several translations. Mainly the one used in the book "Essence of the Heart Sutra" by the Dalai Lama and several found online and in the book "Radiant Mind: Essential Buddhist Teachings and Texts", edited by Jean Smith. I've highlighted the blue portion for those who wish to chant the Sutra since that is nearly always the portion that is chanted in Zen, Tibetan, and other traditions. I've included a short glossery just below to make life easier and it is my profound hope that this thread will lead to thoughtful discussions, debates, and perhaps a bit less samsara for the world.

Prajna- Intuitive Wisdom, as opposed to "intellectual" wisdom one might find in a book. It is direct knowing through experiance. Remember, knowledge can block understanding, which is capable of flowing freely around such obsticles.

The Five Aggrigates/Skandhas(Heaps)- Forms, Feelings, Perceptions, Mental Formations, Conciousness.

Gate, gate, paragate, parasamgate! Bodhi! Svaha! -Gone, gone, gone beyond, gone completely beyond!

The Three Worlds- Past, Present and Future. Symbolized sometimes as Siddartha Gautama (the past Buddha who began the turning of the wheel of the Dharma), Amida Buddha (the present Buddha that is in fact our real Buddha-nature) and Maitreya Buddha (future Buddha of the next kalpa/cycle of existance)

Annuttara-samyak-sambodhi -Literally, "complete, unsurpassed, perfect enlightenment."

Mantra- "True words."
  • edited September 2009
    Commentary:

There are many ways to view this statement. From a purely historical point of view, the first part was aimed at the Sarvastivadins, who believed such dharmas as form were self-existant, and the second part was aimed at the Sautranitaks, who believed that the skanda of conciousness was self-existant. Having seen that all five skandas are empty of anything self-existant, Avalokiteshvara turns from the Theravadan interpretation of emptiness, which holds that there is some aspect of certain dharmas that persist over time, to that of the Mahayana.

from The Heart Sutra
  • jhanajhana Explorer
    edited September 2009
    OK DD thanks, I do understand that already. I was thinking there was something more being said between the lines of the HS, but perhaps not?
    edited September 2009
    DD- I am convinced that you and stuka are really the same person.

I can vouch for them as different people, with greater than 99% certainty, having interacted with both for a few years, now. They really do mean well. Stuka in particular has given me guidance in the past which was critical to the development of my practice. You could learn a lot from them, if you looked past your differences.
  • edited September 2009
    Well-

It is hard to look around someone's fist when they are punching you repeatedly in the face I think you'd agree.
  • edited September 2009
    Chen-k'o says, "As for seeing that the five skandhas are empty, this is not an emptiness seprate from the skandhas but the emptiness of the skandhas. The emptiness realized by Avalokiteshvara is not the one-sided emptiness of the Hinayana pathand not the emptiness of senselessness or an emptiness of annihilation. It is simply the emptiness that is form. Since form can be emptiness, emptiness can be form. Thus it says, form it not seprate from emptiness and emptiness is not seperate from form."
    edited September 2009
    It's unfortunate that their criticism has caused you so much pain. It's good material for meditation practice, though.
    edited September 2009
    It is hard to look around someone's fist when they are punching you repeatedly in the face I think you'd agree.
    Friend

This is a discussion forum. I have provided my view Theravadins will benefit little from the Heart Sutra and have provided rationale, including extensive sutta citations.

To show you I am not being deliberately sectarian or divisive, the Hsin Hsin Ming sutra of the Zen tradition accords more to the Theravadin view.

Excerpts:

Don't get entangled in the world; don't lose yourself in emptiness.
    Be at peace in the oneness of things, and all errors will disappear by themselves.
    If you don't live the Way, you fall into assertion or denial.

Asserting that the world is real, you are blind to its deeper reality;
    Denying that the world is real, you are blind to the selflessness of all things.

Being is an aspect of non-being; non-being is no different from being.
    Until you understand this truth, you won't see anything clearly.
  • edited September 2009
    You are not my "friend" by any stretch of the imagination. Your condescention and your sectarianism is unwanted and unwelcome in this thread.

Please stop posting here.
  • edited September 2009

Thus have I heard,

Mantra- "True words."
  • edited September 2009
    Commentary:

from The Heart Sutra
  • edited September 2009

-from The Heart Sutra
    edited September 2009
    Chen-k'o says, "As for seeing that the five skandhas are empty, this is not an emptiness seprate from the skandhas but the emptiness of the skandhas. The emptiness realized by Avalokiteshvara is not the one-sided emptiness of the Hinayana path and not the emptiness of senselessness or an emptiness of annihilation. It is simply the emptiness that is form. Since form can be emptiness, emptiness can be form. Thus it says, form it not seprate from emptiness and emptiness is not seperate from form."
    Chen-ko is correct in their commentary regarding the nature of emptiness. However, they are wrong regarding Hinayana and are also wrong regarding the second half of the Heart Sutra.

The second half of the Heart Sutra teaches the emptiness of senselessness and the emptiness of annihilation, when it states: "No eye, no ear, etc,..."

The impression gained is Chen-ko does well in being an apologist for the lack of rigour indicative in the Heart Sutra.

However, in the Hinayana, the Buddha spoke the Dhamma perfectly thus apologists are not required.

• edited September 2009
    You're not getting it, are you?
    edited September 2009
    You are not my "friend" by any stretch of the imagination. Your condescention and your sectarianism is unwanted and unwelcome in this thread. Please stop posting here.
    The Buddha praised Dhamma discussion highly. In the Theravada suttas, when discussion occurred between the disciples of the Buddha, each disciple indicated what dhamma was most important and relevent to themselves individually.

In other words, the Dhamma discussion was democratic.

The major purpose of Dhamma discussion is not only the subject matter but also being able to perform it free from attachment and self-view.

Dhamma discussion is an exercise in practising Emptiness.

There is merely talk but no 'talker'. There is merely writing but no 'writer'. There are merely views, hundreds and thousands of views, but no attachment to those views.

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2009
    This is ridiculous. People, this is an online discussion forum, not a sounding board for weird arguments. Relax.

"buddhists"... :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.